Exploiting Tourney Risk Aversion (Day 28 Course Discussion)

B

birdman666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can someone explain why suited broadways are the best ones to shove? Why do they win more, specially against AX?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can someone explain why suited broadways are the best ones to shove? Why do they win more, specially against AX?

Suited broadways are very powerful hands to shove because they combine the advantages of high cards as well as the increased possibility of flushes and straights (relative to unsuited/or gapped-typed hands). Because of the immense value of these strengths, they frequently have more equity than you would think! [emoji4]

B

birdman666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Suited broadways are very powerful hands to shove because they combine the advantages of high cards as well as the increased possibility of flushes and straights (relative to unsuited/or gapped-typed hands). Because of the immense value of these strengths, they frequently have more equity than you would think! [emoji4]

If I shove QJs agains A6o, I have greater equity with A6o one vs one. But I also know QJs is superior to all lower pocket pairs, which in turn are superior to A6o.
Do you mean that these hands are the most powerful against most calling ranges in average, while AX and low pocket pairs are not as strong against the same ranges?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I shove QJs agains A6o, I have greater equity with A6o one vs one. But I also know QJs is superior to all lower pocket pairs, which in turn are superior to A6o.
Do you mean that these hands are the most powerful against most calling ranges in average, while AX and low pocket pairs are not as strong against the same ranges?

I suggest playing around with hands versus multiple ranges in Equilab. The combo of high cards, blockers, flush and straight potential (as Katie mentioned) make them do very well in a variety of situations including wide range and multiple range spots.

So yes, while it depends on the exact spot, the suited broadways perform the best (relative to low pairs and AXs) in a lot of openshove, 3bet shove, etc situations.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I remember the plot from the movie "Honeymoon in Las Vegas", when Jack Singer asked to borrow chips from Tommy Corman. Because he had a flush with a jack, but few chips. And when the cards opened, Tommy Corman had a flush with a queen.:D

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Finished day 28...2 to go

What I liked the most at this lesson is that Collin let the hands where the Hero made some wrong plays and explain to us the way he is thinking. I often play like the hero in some cases and this for me is a good lesson on how to change/adapt my play.

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Putting pressure is so important to give us better chance to get higher on the mtt, reminds me Negreanu saying that with the big stack you should jam, raising a lot, but don't go crazy with it. Few days ago, I played a 45 sit&go, and the bubble was just a hell, the bigstack was never raising, always limping and folding to raises. I was short stack, but end up winning 1st, as I was stealing, dangerously the blinds.

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My take-aways:

Bully Pulpit - it pays to be the bully.

Self-fulfilling prophecy - big stacks keep on bullying, keep on getting bigger stack.

Mid-stack - big stack wanna be. Waiting for the big stack to beat those short stacks into submission.

Small stack - it sucks to be me, but hey, at least I made it this far.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Finished day 28

This lesson is important like the previous ones and explains the strategy to adopt in each phase of the tournament.

I learned to become aggressive on the bubble and exploit the villains especially in position.

The best decision to make in the spot shown on the video is to shove with :9h4::5h4: on the button.

I really appreciated the demonstration on ICMIZER which shows that we can also shove with 32o.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Taking advantage of the stacks and abusing the openings, I really liked that in, pressure on the middlemen, a lot of pressure, I will certainly apply a lot of this class frequently.

28/30.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There was a lot to grasp in that lesson. Think I will go back and watch it again. Fortune favors the bold.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi. Day 28 finished.
A good tips in how to play in the final table and bubble.
Quiz:
Is difficult but I think is a good chance to shove or is aceptable to fold.

Ty.

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Day 28 completed. Interesting perspective on the strategy in the late stage of the tournament, especially considering the relative stack size. Thanks for the lesson!