EV

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

I’ve got my head around outs and pot odds easily however expected value has me a little stumped ! Does anyone believe it will make life easier understanding it when im playing poker more than studying( sorry if this is a stupid question ):tomato:

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ev a guide in difficult spots.

Hi guys,

I’ve got my head around outs and pot odds easily however expected value has me a little stumped ! Does anyone believe it will make life easier understanding it when im playing poker more than studying( sorry if this is a stupid question ):tomato:

Thanks for posting

You have to study EV intensely to understand how to use it when you play.

A simple example of an + EV play would be as follows.

You flop a non nut flush draw and a pair vs 2 opponents. Opponent 1 has an over pair on the flop and bets and you call. Opponent 2 you suspect has the nut flush draw after calling the flop bet. On the turn OPP 1 bets again when a blank hits and you raise knowing OPP 1 will absolutely call and may even reraise. The hope is to get OPP 2 to fold the naked flush draw giving you more equity and protecting you from losing to a large if not all in bet on the river when the flush comes.

This is a +EV play but wow is it hard to raise Opp 1 knowing how many chips you will now have to put in the pot.

The real difficulty is in low stakes games where no one folds naked nut flush draws to a raise on the turn the play is -EV. Also shallow stacks are not the time for this +EV play for the same reason unlikely to get folds.
In fact if you can put OPP 2 on a nut flush draw that will not fold, the +EV play would be to fold your pair plus flush draw on the turn.
Imagine that, folding what seems like a good draw for +EV

Hard to wrap you mind around but true.

Use the cardschat odds calculator and input the hand I described and remove the nut flush draw on the turn and look at how much equity you gain!

Hope this helps.

:fight::):)