entering the bubble

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are already in the bubble, you have to change the way you play? or should he continue as he was playing?

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it works, don't change..

If you make/ burst the bubble, you've been doing the right moves, or catching cards. I would continue with this style of play. I am a believer in the power of the jinx, the curse, call it what you will. If you change your style of play, you're bringing unnecessary bad juju jinx/curse factors.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think its better to play more tight with an average or with a low chipstack however if you are the chipleader you can open raise with a wider range of hands because most players will not be willing to risk their entire chipstack near the bubble without a premium hand like jacks o maybe tens or better, so its very important at to be able to exploit that when you have a big stack. also you can try to steal blinds from players with a lower stack than yours for that same reason. almost nobody wants to be the player eliminated near the bubble. however that will depends on the opponents you are facing, so there are lots of factors to consider on how to play near the bubble.

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When there are only a few players left until the money, I try to put pressure on stacks that are smaller than mine while trying to avoid tangling with the big stacks.

Once the bubble bursts, my play style will depend on the size of my stack. If I have a large or medium stack, I will play normally. If I have a small stack, I will try to aggressively double up in hopes of making a deeper run.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are already in the bubble, you have to change the way you play? or should he continue as he was playing?

Thank U 4 posting

Min cash is not the goal in tournament play however there are stack sizes and table dynamics that suggest we either become more or less aggressive.

If our table increases it's fold frequency then we should be raising with medium to large stacks very often. In fact we can 3 bet shove versus other medium stacks and get more folds than normal if our villains have incorrectly tightened just because of the bubble.

The key is to remember that if we are properly bankrolled then busting on the bubble while trying to build a final table stack is +EV unless we are not picking our spots correctly.

The math of it is this-we bubble and lose 1.5-2 buy-ins but if we build a stack and get top 3 we are winning 15-25 buy-ins that means we can risk the bubble 10 times for every one time we top 3 and break even or be profitable.

Hope this helps
:):)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It will depend on the tournament and players around you and the stack sizes. If you have a big sack keep on playing your game. If super short you can play tighter and try to make the payouts. If you a middle stack I would still play your game but just be cautious. No matter what you have dont gamble. Shoving a decent stack with A2s and pocket 3's is a recipe for disaster.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

It depends on a couple of things:

Your stack compared to the average tournament and the others at your table. If you have a large chip stack, you should use this to be aggressive and bully the shorter stacks. If you have a medium or short stack, you should play tighter, picking spots to double up, or steal blinds from the other short stacks.

Pay out structure. If the ladder from bubble to the next pay outs is a huge gap, and you have a short stack, making the money is often the best you can expect to achieve, so you should do everything you can to make the money, even if it is with just half a big blind. If the ladder is only a few places, it is often worth trying to build your stack by being aggressive. Yes, this will mean that you will bubble more tournaments, but when it works out for you, you will win much more than a min cash and you will win more in the long run.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After the bubble it's not so much style of play you should think about but rather your strategy. You and the other players will be looking at stack sizes, tournament ranks, and pay jumps. Small stacks that are in danger o f not making the next pay jump will be looking for a spot to shove so you need to be aware of that before you make a betting decision. Larger stacks that can make a few pay jumps but not the final table will tend to play very conservative at first giving you opportunities to raise and take the blinds/antes. But all this usually shows up just after the bubble. As the game progresses and players get eliminated the situation changes as the stack sizes change. A player sitting in 10th spot with 20 players left is feeling good until he suddenly finds he is now 14th because other players won big pots. Now he feels the pressure to do something. It's that pressure that players feel as the final table approaches that affects their thinking. If you have a big stack you might start raising the smaller stacks because they will tend to fold a lot more under pressure. If you have a medium stack you need to fight the pressure by being ready to become aggressive when the right situation comes along. By aggressive I mean step up your game with larger raises than you made previously. When they 3-bet pre-flop hit back with a 4-bet. When you are first in post flop think about check-raising. Etc.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that in such cases, you need to be as careful as possible, at least for the sake of positive statistics. I think over time, statistics will prove the correctness of such actions.

HeshamTwix

HeshamTwix

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EG
Chips
Continue with the style of play, don't play super safe or super aggresive. believe in yourself.