Ego and knowing when you're beat

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Often I play very badly, I see the cards and then the flop, then either aggressively chase a marginal draw or pair or even two pair, I put most opponants on not having mad a hand and try to bluff far too often.
I try to console myself by imagining I'm learning bluffing and experience.
My bluff bets are always a little too high or little to low, and never very well hiding most of the time.

If I have myself in control I have been known to win tournaments reach the final table and coast the whole tournament in with the top 10% of chips. Eg 700 players I'll be around position. 70 or there abouts. A massive contrast.

Thank you for your time

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play ABC poker until it becomes habit and then you can add some bluffs into your game after that. You really should not be bluffing very often in poker. The more advanced players know how to pick there spots and can do it for profit but over bluffing will always be a -EV play. Just my opinion. I'm no expert. Others may disagree with me. My two cents. Nothing more. Good luck.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You just need to start playing by using charts at different stages of the tournament. And use the set of rules for betting on the flop and beyond. There, by the way, you can turn on a bluff with a certain frequency.

You can read the book "Theory of Poker" (D. Sklansky). There is a chapter on the optimal bluff frequency.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play ABC poker until it becomes habit and then you can add some bluffs into your game after that. You really should not be bluffing very often in poker. The more advanced players know how to pick there spots and can do it for profit but over bluffing will always be a -EV play. Just my opinion. I'm no expert. Others may disagree with me. My two cents. Nothing more. Good luck.

I think your totally right in what you say, especially looking upon over bluffing as a negative ev.

Normally my ego and my marriage to my hole cards makes a bigger - ev dent than anything else.
At best, pay heavily to fold cards I should not have played or worse, lose my tournament life.

Thank you for your time, appreciated.
:)

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just need to start playing by using charts at different stages of the tournament. And use the set of rules for betting on the flop and beyond. There, by the way, you can turn on a bluff with a certain frequency.

You can read the book "Theory of Poker" (D. Sklansky). There is a chapter on the optimal bluff frequency.

I do believe I've scanned that book before, however, I will reread parts again on the strength of your advice.
I agree also that charts have a place and importance, the rules can always be bent and manipulated, especially be some of the better poker players I have encountered.

Thank you for your time.

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Often I play very badly, I see the cards and then the flop, then either aggressively chase a marginal draw or pair or even two pair, I put most opponants on not having mad a hand and try to bluff far too often.
I try to console myself by imagining I'm learning bluffing and experience.
My bluff bets are always a little too high or little to low, and never very well hiding most of the time.

If I have myself in control I have been known to win tournaments reach the final table and coast the whole tournament in with the top 10% of chips. Eg 700 players I'll be around position. 70 or there abouts. A massive contrast.

Thank you for your time

Is there a question here?

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i do very little bluffing i do continuation bet often but i honestly think i have best hand at that point etc...

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a question here?

I do believe it was an exclamation.
Perhaps a proclamation.
A statement, maybe.

"Is there a question here?"

What answer was you expecting?

Thank you for your time.

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do believe it was an exclamation.
Perhaps a proclamation.
A statement, maybe.

"Is there a question here?"

What answer was you expecting?

Thank you for your time.

Everyone in thread is off topic. Nowhere did you ask for help or advice yet everyone wants to give their 2 cents. I never give help unless it is asked for. You don’t seem to want help. Just a rant.

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever a man's Ego is at work, that marks the beginning of a downfall. This has been proven for centuries. Ancient empire, dynasty and kingdom, all ruined because of a leader's Ego.

May i share with you a tiny secret to keep your 'Devil' out whenever you play poker?
Tell yourself you are The fish on the table. Try having this mindset, you will go very very far.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever a man's Ego is at work, that marks the beginning of a downfall. This has been proven for centuries. Ancient empire, dynasty and kingdom, all ruined because of a leader's Ego.

May i share with you a tiny secret to keep your 'Devil' out whenever you play poker?
Tell yourself you are The fish on the table. Try having this mindset, you will go very very far.

This tiny piece of advice is probably, if not, precisely what I needed to know.

Thank you so much, indeed, I am normally the biggest fish, but now I will remind myself of this and see how I go.

Many thanks.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone in thread is off topic. Nowhere did you ask for help or advice yet everyone wants to give their 2 cents. I never give help unless it is asked for. You don’t seem to want help. Just a rant.

You are right, although, I would disagree with you about me not asking for advice, I consider what I wrote an open ended question. Ambiguous, and vague I know, but in need of an answer none the less.
A solution, a similarity?

I think your right to withhold answers to people not asking specific questions.

Thank you for your time.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a lot of the players bet too much and do not fold enough when he dervrait him. to win poker you have to be rigorous and disipline and not listen to your ego. when you play tight and you have a good picture at the table. it is easier to bluff your opponents but it is better to avoid if this is not the case. he always has players who throw their hands more than the others and it is on this type of player that I try to bluff when I have no choice. but in general I prefer to check and fold rather than lose my chips.

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are right, although, I would disagree with you about me not asking for advice, I consider what I wrote an open ended question. Ambiguous, and vague I know, but in need of an answer none the less.
A solution, a similarity?

I think your right to withhold answers to people not asking specific questions.

Thank you for your time.

If that’s the case, then I recommend you download a free 30-day trial of pokertracker4 (pm me if u need link) and I am happy to help u review stats and spot your major leaks.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have to tell yourself that this is only a cardgame. ego has no space in this and for control i recommend doing sport and eating very healthy. try to let it go sometimes at the table, especially when you know you're beat.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the title well describes not only the substance but the personality also. It's all about him.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the title well describes not only the substance but the personality also. It's all about him.

Thank you black Jesus.

Your also 100% right.

I

Thank you for your time also.