Doyle was right AQ is a killer!!!

D

DertyJerz1014

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started to notice a continuous pattern when i play Ace Queen... so i started taking notes for the last week, and i was delt AQ 37 times in the last week... 19 were suited, and 18 off suit... i played them all differently (sorry i dont have the stats, but i will log my stats from now on)... i won 3 when i raised pre-flop when all others folded.... won 4 in a showdown to the river.... and as for the other 30 times.... i lost 26 tourneys (most of which i was in the money, but still had a good chance of winning), and lost 4 big cash pots.... basically what im tryin to get at is i will never raise with AQ again or call a big raise even if im in the big blind with and all in thats half the big blind....... FOLD AQ PREFLOP ITS TROUBLE!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...I don't think this is what Doyle meant. AQ is a strong non-paired starting hand-it beats out a lot of other non-paired starting hands, but it can be beaten by a lot of other hands as well. You can play it strong, but you must know when to slow down with it and how not to over value it. There are times when you should raise with AQ and you should fold AQ, it all depends.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well that proves it to me. Thanks for the great advice. Don't forget to play the other players and not your cards and you'll be great!

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i know the feeling. sometimes i get a monster hand and i can't get to excited. because i know it's more how i play them that counts. depending on the table should i raise preflop or take it slow. and then that disgusting feeling when you know you have to fold them.

broadway is not worth a darn when there's to many in the hand and and a bunch of babies pop up on the flop. someone can be holding that straight or those trips.

i haven't had as much trouble with AQ, but i know what your talking about. i've had more trouble with big slick. and i think it was doyle who said they don't call it big slick for nothing. it's like ya you got it but know how to use it. it's not an automatic win just because you got a monster. :)

D

DuaneK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ is like the old saying. Some days your the bug other days your the windshield.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If anyone should know its Mr Brunson :)

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree

I try to be cautiously agressive with this hand if that makes sense. Small raises are worth a call. You also have to play the other person and that could mean agressive on your end

W

Woodyspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I to hate AQ and AK it always seems like i come up on the short end of flips.
I know that its not really the case it jus feels that way i think b/c the only hands I remember are the ones that i lose.

K

kknutt17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ha, glad you have some real statistics to back that up. I have always found myself in trouble with AQ. . .AK I fair little better, but AQ is a natural killer for me. I might still stay in to the flop though, when I do win it's when I connect on the flop.

P

pinaq

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, so you never play A-J, A-10, A-9, A-8, A-8- etc then I presume? I think this is nonsense. What matters are which cards your opponents are holding. Of course A-Q is not a very good hand to push if your opponent calls with A-K. But you will play extremely few hands if you consider everything below A-K as non-playable, and you will depend on getting extreme premium hands more often than probability and statistics say you will. I think A-Q, as well as A-Js, A-10s and A-9s are decent hands, especially on a later stage in a tournament. If I'm deep I will mostly fold to a re-raise, but I see absolutely no reason not play them at all.

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ha, glad you have some real statistics to back that up. I have always found myself in trouble with AQ. . .AK I fair little better, but AQ is a natural killer for me. I might still stay in to the flop though, when I do win it's when I connect on the flop.

Did I miss the memo that said a hands "real statistics" can be concluded after 38 hands???

Without the hands its hard to tell if you got your money in good with AQ or not too, that's more important than the hand itself

D

Detroitguy113

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love AQ. If you posted how you played them we could probably come to a conclusion.. but it's usually a good hand for me.

slipknot4life

slipknot4life

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Back when super system was written AQ was called the Brunson, because he would not play it. AQ is not a good hand to play against good players, but I think it is ok to play against beginers since they seem to play almost any A your more thatn likely to have a better kicker when an A comes on the board.