Can Donking ever be a strategy?

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all hate the donk who stacks us off with 72o or with some crazy J3o 94o etc. But I've seen many pros on tv playing some real crappy hands and I was thinking myself can donking ever be a strategy?

I am talking here about implied odds. You know, a fishy rock telegraphing his hand but just min raises. You choose to pay the min raise cause you know, that he have Aces, Kings, Queens etc and he will shove nevertheless of the board. Or maybe have some kind of A10+ and will call a shove if he connects. So you try to donk him by hitting 2pairs, trips, straights, flushes with any marginal hand cause he will hand you his stack whatsoever. In those situations can donking be an acceptable move? Isnt donking profitable against those type of guys?

T

triplstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hitting 2 pairs on the flop with 2 different cards is about 2%. Just make sure you're going to win 50x your preflop call if you're going to go with this strategy.

It's a bit better when you're set-mining against a nit who only plays premiums. Hitting a set is about 10%. so you only need to win 10x your preflop call with a pair.

Good luck!

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just hitting alone won't cut it. Usually the pros will incorporate those hands as part of an overall strategy. If you play long together and get caught or see someone else get stacked with those hands then you can no longer put the pro on a hand.

That also means he/she can represent a lot of hands and will be able to bluff you off hands as well. So he/she no longer needs to always hit to win the pot.

P

Pokagambler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should understand what donking is

When someone limps in you bb and then he bets one bb on the flop you call.Then he bets one bb on turn and you call and then on the river where you hit your jack and his tens go bye,bye he finally desides: "Well , maybe I should apply pressure".Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe you are the donks?

JOKE on YOU

JOKE on YOU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they play counting on luck

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
called being a implied odds with position LAG otherwise always fold to the rock dont give them action

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't believe I would call with those cards you mentioned but maybe from the BB I might call with suited or connected cards if there was a few callers before me . Very small investment for possible big pay off .

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
donk strategy

Hello and from me I'm not a fan of the donk game because in the long run it will lose. But from another stand we can change our game and in the late position to play donkey. I have won with 7 and 2 on A and K on in late Position your game.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all hate the donk who stacks us off with 72o or with some crazy J3o 94o etc. But I've seen many pros on tv playing some real crappy hands and I was thinking myself can donking ever be a strategy?

I am talking here about implied odds. You know, a fishy rock telegraphing his hand but just min raises. You choose to pay the min raise cause you know, that he have Aces, Kings, Queens etc and he will shove nevertheless of the board. Or maybe have some kind of A10+ and will call a shove if he connects. So you try to donk him by hitting 2pairs, trips, straights, flushes with any marginal hand cause he will hand you his stack whatsoever. In those situations can donking be an acceptable move? Isnt donking profitable against those type of guys?

I think you are very confused on what "donking" is.

It specifically refers to lead betting OOP against the pre-flop aggressor.

An example of donking

Everyone Folds, BTN raises to 3BB, SB folds, BB calls 2BB

Flop is XXX

If the BB bets in this spot, as opposed to checking, it is a donk, donking, or a donk bet.

There is no other use for this term that specifically relates to poker strategy.

There are some spots where donking is acceptable, such as when you have a range advantage on a certain board texture and your opponent is unlikely to continuation bet and take a free card.

https://upswingpoker.com/donk-bet-lead-flop-strategy/

Last edited:
J

JonPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A donk happens when a weak oop player hits the flop and is scared of missing a street of value. Or if the board is draw heavy and the fish panics and becomes exacerbated.

So basically, weak players donk because they’re afraid of draws or because they hit the flop/turn hard and don’t want to miss a street of value.

Donking also makes your checking range highly vulnerable. I will fold to donks with marginal hands whilst mercilessly and relentlessly attacking the fishes oop checks knowing he has crap holdings and has failed to protect his hands by donking when he has something.

Ps: I play micros, there may be viable donking strategies at higher stakes.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
donking, crazy, play type of game, bankroll..

Donking, playing any crazy hand, may be a strategy, albeit a losing one.
If its a smaller stakes tourney, with rebuys, I've seen some ludicrous play in the beginning, when it's only 20 cents to re-buy 3,000 chips. More than a few players go broke on purpose, so they can rebuy , get a decent stack, with no effort, cheaply.

Other times, it may be table image. , It would be worth it for a player with a TAG image, to mix it up with a little donk play; on theory you can't predict them 100% of time.

Also, if one has a big bankroll, they can play stupid if that's what motivates, entertains, them.

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Donk betting can be good in some spots, some top pros do it aswell, like if board drastically changes and is in general way better then opponents range u can mix in leads as bluffs and as value bet as long as you balance it out its fine IMO. just depends on ur general strategy

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there is a misunderstanding here. When I say donking I obviously dont mean donk betting. I mean playing a suited connector against someone who his range is only top 10% and he will shove neverheless on the flop. When we call someone a donkey, or say thanks for donking all my chips is not because he raised his flopped set oop against the preflop aggressor. Am I using the wrong word here?

L

lokinet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you know about your oponent you can play more hands. i would play more hands when i was shure that there is some player who call everything.
so it isalways dependent on the other guys on the table.
if you can display a good hand you can play more

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something to keep in mind is that when you see pros doing it on tv you aren't seeing all the bad hands they folded. TV tends to only show "action" hands and so you're seeing the one in 20 hands that they decided to get out of line and "make a move" for whatever reason.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Something to keep in mind is that when you see pros doing it on tv you aren't seeing all the bad hands they folded. TV tends to only show "action" hands and so you're seeing the one in 20 hands that they decided to get out of line and "make a move" for whatever reason.

Yes, I also aknowledge that when every hand is televised, players will play some hands that they would never played otherwise just so their range isnt crystal clear to everyone. So they may play a crappy hand from utg here and there when in real life they would never do this.

Anyway, the real question isnt why pros do it, but what statistic says about calling with marginal hands against someone who play the stop and go with big pocket pairs. And what marginal hands except connectors would be ideal.

Last edited:
jre1106

jre1106

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I believe it is acceptable and profitable in certain situations. Table image has a lot to do with it though. Also ICM.

For example:

On the bubble utg+2 opens and you call in small blind with j8s.

Flop comes 2 10 5 rainbow.

I see a donk bet perfect in this situation knowing he he only opening with decent hands and you in small blind have more 10s in your range than he does.

It could force better hands to fold.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I believe it is acceptable and profitable in certain situations. Table image has a lot to do with it though. Also ICM.

For example:

On the bubble utg+2 opens and you call in small blind with j8s.

Flop comes 2 10 5 rainbow.

I see a donk bet perfect in this situation knowing he he only opening with decent hands and you in small blind have more 10s in your range than he does.

It could force better hands to fold.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/donking-ever-be-a-strategy-412095/#post4909091

jre1106

jre1106

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry I overlooked that post. In that regards yeah it is also profitable as long as you know your opponent and how he reacts. It is especially profitable when that tag player tilts when You make the call with suited connectors and you hit.