Doing ok so far?

J

Jerpriebe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Only been playing for a couple months now. Sticking mainly to free-roll tournaments until I feel I have my feet wet. Doing my best to stick to a TA game for the most part. I typically play 1 to 3 tourneys a day on either PS or 888 and for the most part average 250's out of 5,000 players, although I have won 3 so far. Obviously I still have lots of game improvement to go, but question is, is this a promising start so far?

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't evaluate your game based on the results only. When you are a loosing player over long period of time, then probably you are playing bad, but when you occasionally win in a freeroll, it is hard to say if your play is good or not (winning such big tournament can't be pure luck, but you still could play average and run deep). When I started playing 1.5USD 18 players sit&gos on pokerstars I won bunch of them and I thought that I am good, but when I reviewed my hands much later, I knew that sometimes I was playing badly and just running hot. Try to ask questions about some of your hands, which you think you won because of luck or which you played without a solid strategy in your mind etc. take the history of the hands on the tournaments you won or you were in deep and try to analyze them hand by hand. That way you will have better understanding of your own play and will be able to tell where you can improve. Also, freerolls are kind of weird when it comes to style of play, because they attract many poker players with no knowledge about the game. Moves, that work there will often be catastrophic in buyin tournaments.

Congrats on the winnings anyway, keep it up :)

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sometimes play 20-30 tournaments a day, but I still consider myself a beginner and an amateur. Play 1-3 freerolls and evaluate the results - it's funny. First, play them at least a thousand pieces. :cool:

Jonatha007

Jonatha007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Advice you would have is to put some money together and make your first deposit, study enough about the position, odds and outs. Start playing SNG 9 players because it is much more comfortable and the bubble ends when 6 are out. Play 100 SNG 9 players and evaluate your results!

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think it's too early for you to draw conclusions.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only been playing for a couple months now. Sticking mainly to free-roll tournaments until I feel I have my feet wet. Doing my best to stick to a TA game for the most part. I typically play 1 to 3 tourneys a day on either PS or 888 and for the most part average 250's out of 5,000 players, although I have won 3 so far. Obviously I still have lots of game improvement to go, but question is, is this a promising start so far?

I do think its a good start. It shows some kind of skill set. The problem is you never know how well you are doing or where you are at until you start playing for money. You need to be playing players that have something at stake, not just free rolls.

Use free rolls to build up some cash then when you start to buy into tournaments you will see where you fall.

steadman0

steadman0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's hard to say if you are a good player or not after a few freerolls. Once you have built a bankroll from the freerolls then start entering small stakes MTTs or Sit and go's then you will be able to get a more accurate reading. If you go back and look at your hand history for the games you won, and also some that you lost you will be able to see where you played well or maybe got a bit lucky.