Does make sense thinking in ranges at micro stakes?

E

Ezel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen a poker coach who said "Dont play your hand, play your range".But it makes sense at micro stakes? Bad players (like me) dont matter about range... What do you think?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
At least it is good practice for the future. And I don't see it being harmful even in the micros.

And if you use a HUD like Pokertracker and you keep an eyes of your opponents VPIP's, then it is also good practice to try to visualize how your opponent's range looks like if his VPIP is e.g. 37%. That is a good exercise on any level.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always try to think in ranges..
But micro stakes requires more exploitative considerations depending on population tendencies..

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen a poker coach who said "Dont play your hand, play your range".But it makes sense at micro stakes?

No it does not make sense. Its like cutting butter with a chainsaw, and you just end up levelling yourself and hurting your winrate :)

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thinking in ranges always help to maintain balance in different actions ( check, bet, check raise).
At micro stakes, exploitative considerations also matter.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen a poker coach who said "Dont play your hand, play your range".But it makes sense at micro stakes? Bad players (like me) dont matter about range... What do you think?

Thank you for posting.

There are 2 opposing questions in your post.

1 thinking in terms of ranges? Yes of course we do, we want to think what hands not what hand does my V have in this spot to take X action. It is that idea of not putting our V on one hand only at micros that is using range.

2 Do not play your hand play your range?
This is a big mistake in micros. Why? Our V under fold in micros so having a balanced range makes no sense. In fact in many spots we should have 0 bluffs as our V will call with 3rd pair so no way could we play range profitably.

Hope this helps
:):)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 Do not play your hand play your range?
This is a big mistake in micros. Why? Our V under fold in micros so having a balanced range makes no sense. In fact in many spots we should have 0 bluffs as our V will call with 3rd pair so no way could we play range profitably.

Exactly. Even against players, who have perfect GTO strategies, bluffing is no more than neutral EV, and the only reason, we do it, is to force them to call us with bluffcatchers, when we are betting for value.

But in the micros this is just not relevant most of the time. Before people can start exploiting us by folding bluff catchers, they need to figure out, that we are never bluffing. This takes a large sample of hands, and in the micros player pools are large, and a lot of opponents are either multitabling or beginners, who can only manage to focus on their own two cards (level 1 thinkers).

In top of that, as you say, they are underfolding in many spots, or at least the recreational players are. So as long as they dont adjust, we increase our winrate by not bluffing in spots, where we think, they are unlikely to fold.

In the micros balance is only important in situations, that occur all the time, and that will show up on peoples HUDs, if such are allowed. If we only 3-bet AA and KK, then HUD-users will figure that out eventually, and then they will start to exploit us by overfolding to our 3-bets. Or if we always fold to 3-bets, they will start attacking us more.

But there is no point in worrying about about having a perfectly balanced range for river check-raising on monotone boards or anything that detailed. And especially not if you play tournaments, where those situations are rare to begin with.

A

adjacentcape1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It makes sense to think in ranges, at least in your opponent's range, because narrowing down the possibilities of hands he/she might have will significantly help you figure out if you are beat, or if you can bluff him/her off a hand. As for thinking of your own hand in ranges, it would make sense to do so and be conscious about it, but don't take it to extreme bluffs, because a lot of people might just call you off.

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my experience, it makes at least a little bit sense. From my perspective, even in micro stakes, people choose their hand wisely (most time).
But many Times I see people playing hands from UTG, that are regularly wo weak for the position.
I also see people in micro stakes jamming with a very bad hand.

So in my opinion, you can't always think in ranges, but you can take advantage of people, having a very wide range.