christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm not physically very well today, but I took some time out to play poker. What do you think: Is it bad to play poker when you are sick or your body is in bad physical condition, like pain or discomfort? Does physical condition get in the way of playing?

A

Ace of Spad3s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
NL
Chips
It absolutely negatively impacts your play at the best of your ability. Less concentration, slower thinking, impaired analyzation skills, distraction by your body sensations.

But if you play for fun and aren't bothered by suboptimal performance, go for it.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm not physically very well today, but I took some time out to play poker.
Playing with a health problem is never good, maybe it doesn't help you concentrate much.

It may be that you have contracted a slight flu due to climate change, I hope you are fine, take care.🙂

Jamil

Jamil

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I'm not physically very well today, but I took some time out to play poker. What do you think: Is it bad to play poker when you are sick or your body is in bad physical condition, like pain or discomfort? Does physical condition get in the way of playing?
For me, when something is distracting me, I don't play poker because losing will be expected

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You shouldn't play when you're tired because it'll lead to burn out. The last thing you want to do when you're sick is play.

Rest up, eat and get well then when you have the time, resume playing.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Only you will know if you're in a good enough state to play, when you are facing an illness. We had a player on these forums that played through almost to the end with terminal cancer. Probably not optimal, but then it must also depend on what you are trying to achieve. Good luck.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Any kind of distraction or impairment will definitely result in playing sub-optimally.
Maybe reduce the number of tables, or play lower buy-ins while you're feeling unwell.

billibooo

billibooo

thudlife
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think it is a break for being sick. I am sick everyday and poker is definitely time where I can just sit, relax and just have fun with you all :) but I do not have the option of playing when I feel good or sick, so that is probably the difference <3
I would say if you are thinking there is a difference, then play smaller buy ins and do it more for the idea of relaxing over winning <3 then kick even more butt when you are well and 100% again :)