Do you think using intuition is a bad tool in poker?

Parashmutka

Parashmutka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, guys! I'm new into to poker and my question is do you use your intuition/instinct or mainly strategies?

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I think with a good experience you could rely on your instincts :top:

xxxREAPERxxx

xxxREAPERxxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Using instinct works for me alot even in sports betting.If i feel bad about the team i want to pick i often go the other way and take the other team.But i also think instinct and following your better judgement of how you feel about a hand is a big factor in poker.

Parashmutka

Parashmutka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the better way to play more poker or watch/read in order to become better ?

kittykittykat

kittykittykat

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not if it works for you.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, of course no! But you need to play more and more for the gaming experience to be able to further improve your intuition and instinct.

betty the rake

betty the rake

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
omg yes

The reads you get in a live setting will generally be from sub-conscience signals you pick up which will come to you as intuition. Maybe sometimes a hand will "speak" to you. You should listen....

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Intuition

I believe that poker intuition is subconscious logic. Sometimes whether I want to play Missouri or not, what I think is right. A monster that tells ya to go ahead and bet and the subconscious is saying he's got aces. A mental poker war. Good question.
:boxing:

Duraphig

Duraphig

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a new player I rely mostly on strategy myself. I think once I get better and am able to perceive players and hands better than intuition can come into play more for myself. I just don't think I am good enough to use my intuition at the moment.

That being said I do think it has a place and that more experienced players can put it to good use.

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The phrase used in holdem :"go with your gut" is right more often than wrong for me. I also belong to a private group who refers to "the still, small voice" and I believe that saying is equivalent to intuition or go with your gut.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There have been times when I wish I had listened to my gut and times I wish I had not. You have to have both guts and strategy to be good at poker.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your intuition is telling you too chase gutshot straights or overcards against large bets, then its going to get you in big trouble. If your intuition is telling you your marginal made hand is good and villian is bluffing you on the river on a dangerous draw-heavy board, it can also get you in trouble. You should try to use the information you have first, like how the hand has played out, bet sizes, aggression, previous hands, etc. before you go and make calls based only off gut-feelings.

Good luck!!

W

weirdline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Intuition is useless until you've studied the game enough to have a feel for what's going to be profitable. You can't see the future, but you can train yourself to recognize the correct play without much conscious calculation in real time. Studying and experience will eventually allow you to cultivate useful intuition, but as a beginner it will be less than useless.

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Intuition is never useless for me - I've seen well over 12 million hands in the last 20 years.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Intuition and strategy is a winning combination.

walluyo

walluyo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your intuition gone wrong, don't blame it but fix to be better in the future.

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The best solution is to combine these two components. But if you are a beginner you need more experience so that you can make intuitive conclusions. You need to experience everything on your own to find the best way.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TOLLS OF POKER

Intuition is a very good poker tool is with her you of a fold for a stronger premium hand your

Instinct should not be used, poker does not work reactively it is head to head game

Managing strategies is undoubtedly the key to success in my opinion

See you at the tables

GL GG

:jd4:mateuspoker

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The instinct is of the body - the dense; The intuition is of the soul - the subtle. And between the two is the mind, the expert, who never functions spontaneously.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everything goes hand in hand strategy strategy question of finding a game pattern and destroy it haha:rock:

F

fatshady21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your intuition is right then is ok to use it if not then go with strategy.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If someone claims that he does not use standard solutions, and does not act as a template in poker, since every game situation is unique in its own way, he deceives not only you but himself, because there is not a single person capable of Act without analogies and template solutions. People are so organized that, naturally and in addition to their will, they group incoming information, name and use appropriate methods for various situations and types of people.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it is a bad thing at all because sometimes it can get you out of a tough spot - however, do not let your intuition be a reason to play loose just because J9 feels lucky on a certain hand. But sometimes, you could have 2nd nuts and your opponent has the nuts - potentially intuition can help you there if you have a niggling feeling about the hand.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A trained, experienced person who knows how to play and is already at a more advanced level will have a good intuition and will perform well, but a person who does not have so much knowledge can end up in traps.

When we are talking about metagame, intuition can be an excellent weapon.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker intuition is an experience that is developed over time. I think it's better to rely on logic. But if a person is confident in his intuition, then, of course, one should rely on intuition.