Which do you prefer?

S

StatusOmega525

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Low to mid level suited connectors (76s/54d and so forth) or suited high/low combos (A5c/K8h and such)? Anything suited always seems to carry more wight with me, even when it probably shouldnt (yes, I am trying to work on that), so I'm wondering theoretically what type of suited cards are more valuable. Trying to work my way through it rather than simply look it up. Say for example you had 7 of spades. Would you rather have it pair with a suited Ace or King, or with the 8 or 6? Pairs and sets seem to be the winning hand most rounds, so having a high card would be good in terms of hand strength if you do catch a piece of the flop, whereas I would think connectors could possibly prove more beneficial if you hit the right turn or river, adding a good extra number of outs for you to possibly hit the flush or straight draw. I'm hoping to curb my addiction of going with a hand just because it's suited, so this will probably be a less relevant down the line, but I wanted to ask so I can get different perspectives, maybe see new ways of thinking about topics like this. You could almost say I'm more interested in the thought process behind the answer than the actual answer itself.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Suited what matters is that the flop hits your 2 hole cards hard
whether it is 67 suited 89 suited 86 suited is secondary but is harder to play suited connectors with 3 gaps ie 95 suited or 84 suited good luck.

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to avoid these cards.I don't like to play with these cards.

Jane Franklin

Jane Franklin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i prefer 79suited
64 suited

i can explain
it s not often when you can win with that hands
but if you will... you will win A LOOOOOOOT ))) if you know how to play that right

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As with everything in NLHE, it depends. Who's in the hand? What's their table image? What's your table image? How close are you to the bubble? What are stack sizes? Etc, etc, etc.

If you are up against the tightest player on the planet and you are sure he has AA or KK, it's a hell of a lot better to call his four bet (if you feel that's what you need to do) with 67s than JJ.

If you want to open Preflop against a full table, AXs can get you into a lot of trouble if X isn't really high, or five or lower.

The answer, as always, is "it depends".

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's impossible to really say ones better all the time because poker is a situational game. When you have the suited hole cards with an A or K you have a few extra chances of hitting top pair and taking the hand over a weaker pair. With suited connectors, missing the flush still leaves the straight which could pay off big under the right circumstances. Adding in bluffing and what not and you really shouldn't have a preference to play any of these over the others.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like Ax suited it gives the nut flush when it hits your suit.

T

thackro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it depends on the action, but I would rather have 78s or 67s than K8s. Flushes are not easy to make and if you hit your K, is your kicker any good? If you hit your 67s, at least 2 pair or big draw, you get paid. If you miss the flop it's easy to fold. But just like you, I am a sucker for suited hands.

S

StatusOmega525

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol. Thanks. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I love when the board hits for a flush draw and you know you have the nut version sitting in your hand, but I feel like I'm more often paid off with low to mid suited connectors. Easy to fold also helps, because sometimes I feel like I get committed to the pot a bit more often than I want to be, but I'm learning to get away from that a bit better now.

fhruhrhit

fhruhrhit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer low connectiors coz they can avoid dominate.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer low to mid suited connectors. This hands has a good gameplay and facilitates postflop play, it's even better to play them in position and in multiway pots!