Do you play out of boredom? (handling emotions for better poker playing)

Gulas

Gulas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, I'm not sure this is the right sub. If this should me moved, I understand.

As the title says, do you play out of boredom?

Assuming poker isn't your main source of income. Suppose you're bored, a little bit lonely, you get tired of watching cat videos from youtube, you go play poker.

If you do this, do you play your best? I ask this because I lost many games when bored. You usually hear about how being tilted makes you lose games, but never how being bored can make you lose games.

I guess that happens because playing poker demands focus, deep thought. It's a demanding game. And I guess handling your emotions is part of the game.

That's my 2 cents. Cheers.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Post threads like this in General Poker but this is the second-best so good job.

Learning Poker is about specific strategy questions whereas General Poker is about overall poker questions or statements.

I believe online poker has come up with the very perfect solution to what you describe: Multi-tabling. I would make a TERRIBLE live poker grinder for so many reasons but with online I can multi table, listen to music I love, not pay attention to my face or body language and have a really enjoyable stimulating grind.

So, for live poker, I think your questions matters much more and can be a lot more applicable but for online poker, multi tabling is the solution along with music.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are bored playing at the same table in poker - open the second, third and so on. Open as many tables as you can play by pressing buttons and making meaningful decisions. Do not tear more tables than you can. But playing one table is really boring, unless it's the final table of a big tournament.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are bored playing at the same table in poker - open the second, third and so on. Open as many tables as you can play by pressing buttons and making meaningful decisions. Do not tear more tables than you can. But playing one table is really boring, unless it's the final table of a big tournament.
Definitely a benefit of cash game grinding over MTT!

Multi tabling much more effective and easy. :D

escurimX

escurimX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friend, I need to learn to control my emotions.
I lost several tournaments after taking a badbeats, I get nervous and start play without thinking about the consequences.
I'll buy some tranquilizers to play in peace ... hahaha

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Friend, I need to learn to control my emotions.
I lost several tournaments after taking a badbeats, I get nervous and start play without thinking about the consequences.
I'll buy some tranquilizers to play in peace ... hahaha
I take the opposite, I drink energy drinks to play well. Must be ready to risk at all times but this also means ready to fold a hand that maybe was better but you risk being wrong.

I get a thrill from folding as much as calling. This is my secret.

escurimX

escurimX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take the opposite, I drink energy drinks to play well. Must be ready to risk at all times but this also means ready to fold a hand that maybe was better but you risk being wrong.

I also took some energy to stay connected in the game, but I feel like I'm missing something for the final tables. I feel like I'm being a good player, but sometimes the deck does not help. I need to learn lose and do not get angry, keep me focused always

Oliver Wayne

Oliver Wayne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually I don't play like that. But sometimes I really play out of boredom.
And boredom quickly turns into excitement during the game. And everything is ok!

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I also took some energy to stay connected in the game, but I feel like I'm missing something for the final tables. I feel like I'm being a good player, but sometimes the deck does not help. I need to learn lose and do not get angry, keep me focused always
Oh you play MTT? Very very bad format of poker for a professional. Stick to cash games for real profit. :D

Gulas

Gulas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I know, right? Folding a "strong hand", but reading your opponents well, calculating your odds, letting them eat each other, and seeing that, in the end, folding was the right play, there's a thrill in it.

I guess the downside is if I fold too much, and the other players start thinking I'm too passive, tight. But even if this happen, TAG strategies could be applied.

Just something that passed my mind.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I know, right? Folding a "strong hand", but reading your opponents well, calculating your odds, letting them eat each other, and seeing that, in the end, folding was the right play, there's a thrill in it.

I guess the downside is if I fold too much, and the other players start thinking I'm too passive, tight. But even if this happen, TAG strategies could be applied.

Just something that passed my mind.
Use whatever image you have so far on a table to your advantage. There is no such thing as an unexploitable table image.

So if you have appeared cowardly, slowplay your hands or bluff but never bet if you have the hand as this isn't how you squeeze/exploit your cowardly image for maximum profit.

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would look into the mental game.. or get a good mental coach like gripsed.

all that meditation and journalling crap he suggests actually works. i havent paid for a coach but if i did it would be to help my mental game. playing bored is just as bad as playing tilted imo.

practice mindfulness. i picked up yoga, personally.. and i try not to play before doing any. the days i wake up and play before doing yoga end much earlier than the ones that dont

Ian the Fish

Ian the Fish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I only play when I'm hungry. If I, for whatever reason, lose the hunger, I stop playing. The benefit of cash game players is to come and go as you please, whereas in tournaments you are stuck with the table for possibly a long time.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not sure . maybe a little bit better. because at this time my nerves are quite calm

Dora

Dora

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not my main source of income but I don't play it out of boredom. Such a game will not lead to good. In poker you need to play only with a good desire.

M

Mattyice1478

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I do play out of boredom sometimes and it can turn me into more of a gambler with hands and bluffing, usually ends up bad.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands