Do you play A9o?

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do you play A-9 off suit or rather muck it ?

the same question for any ace below A-9 too

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
moved it to learning poker...

In order to get more insightful feedback, you might wanna pass a little more info, tourney/cash, stacks, limits, and stuff like that...

boyward

boyward

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am trying to cut out A6 to A9. I'd try and limp if suited but easy hands to get burned on. I think they look prettier than they are, especially early in the game.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like to toss my Ace-rags, unless I get in cheap, like because I am the BB.

shim36

shim36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how many people are playing after you.
If it's later than the CO, I'll join you on the raise.

H

Hotlantan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes if I'm already invested (a blind) or will be the button and no one raises. Otherwise I fold.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on stack and position

If you have the stack, play A-off, to see if anything happens, running, connecting happens.
If you have position, and the rest of the table is passive, play it fairly strongly.
If short on stack and not in position, prefer not to play A-off.
But if super short on stack, and close to blinding out, play A-anything very aggressively. Might as well go down swing for the fences with an Ace.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
do you play A-9 off suit or rather muck it ?

the same question for any ace below A-9 too

I play, but depend a lot of diferent factors:

What position I'm playing.... Early positions I dont play.
In middle positions, anyone before me limps I raise, and if anyone raise I fold.
Late position I would call a raise if the player is loose.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Completely depends on numerous factors including position, anyone else in pot, stack sizes, where you are in tournament,opponents and I’m sure others I’m forgetting. That also includes weaker Axo as well.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I call them rag ace or ace rag. I normally always muck them. I would only play them on tournaments if the position is right.

W

Wiflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm in LP in an unopened pot Ill play it.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
early stages early position im folding on the btn if it's open i'll put in the standard raise

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A9o is a good card especially if you walk with a button or CO

swimbles

swimbles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on stack size, position, game, etc.

A9o is a hand of reasonable quality, but hard to play correctly.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As with many things in poker, "it depends." :D It depends on many factors such as situation, effective stacks, tournament stage and so on, but generally A9o should probably be a fold. The lower Ax hands (certainly A9o and below) play similarly.

Many players get excited if an Ace hits when they hold A9o, but even here I'm not thrilled and this is why I seldom play A9o for its objective value. Put bluntly, even if hit, we are dominated by not only the premium AK and AQ hands, but even crushed by AJ and AT similarly.

The danger of playing the really low Ace-rag hands is that it comes down to your lousy kicker and you lot the hand or that your lower card may get counterfeited if paired (three pairs with your the lowest).

I hope you don't get the idea that I'm cynical to A9o, but we must be realistic about the danger of this hand not being best if we do hit an Ace and more often then not, we will not connect with the Ace and be in even more trouble.

Actually I love A9o! My first ever freeroll event was the cardschat 30 Day course freeroll and if I recall correctly, my final holding was Ah9c (A9o!). Naturally, I like this hand enough to smile every time I see it come up, but that doesn't mean I don't fold it as well ;)