Do you learn from your own mistakes, or the mistakes of other players?

P

ParagonPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to know what's going through someone else's head. Easy to know what's going through your own.

Zeimar Silva

Zeimar Silva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learn from both of them. But the majority that we study is the one that loses. The hand that we win also has to be studied, to see where the villain missed.

DontAskWh

DontAskWh

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I trying to learn from mistakes ;) I didn't know when i'll made a mistake , but when i'm doing this I always trying to learn from it , and I always trying to learn from mistakes of others , because is more confortable for me.
Thanks.

fly2tsky

fly2tsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually learn from others to understand them. You have to understand your opponents to decide your plays. Ex: would you call your bet if you r your villain? etc...

Zeimar Silva

Zeimar Silva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually learn from others to understand them. You have to understand your opponents to decide your plays. Ex: would you call your bet if you r your villain? etc...

That's right! Poker is a game of people and not a card game.
I know putting theory into practice is very difficult, especially when we have the "percentage / splits" factor as a thing that is present most of the time in the game.

What matters is to make the best decision based also on how much you know of the opponents. If you lose, not tilt, the game is this.

Ivab

Ivab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am learning and from their mistakes and the mistakes of others. Certainly better to study only the mistakes of others. But this is impossible in life.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I learn from my mistakes unfortunately most of the time , I would prefer to watch more the play/game of the others and see their mistakes as well so as to avoid them . Like today , I learned that AK oop should be played carefully with no many raises and if I am tired I should better stop playing , (lost some money from sh*** mistakes cause I was tired :()

I

igox97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't learn on other mistakes because i am totally differnet player. It took me a lot of time for example to learn to be patience. I could check blind even with 27 ;p

ElmenhorsteR

ElmenhorsteR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, we should learn from both things - own and others players mistakes:)! It is the only way, when we can improve and go one step forward. So try dont play with 27 igox97 :D

sakenby

sakenby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Smart learns from others ' mistakes and a fool on its own,but their mistakes learn faster and easier.

M

MikeMike109

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally still make a lot of mistakes but tag hands in pokertracker and review them later at ask myself ok what I would now , how I would play this hand

marieemce

marieemce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both answers, but usually I use my mistakes to learn, its more easy to see :)

phazeds

phazeds

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would agree learning from both my mistakes and other players mistakes is an important growing factor.

For example playing out of my limits always gets me broke fast.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Both ways, are important to learn.

eueu

eueu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I learn a lot from my mistakes, and I write down. But some I just forget and miss again.

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everyone makes mistakes, well, smart does not make them twice.

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fff

Such as real life,,,we need to learn from our faults at poker.When i started playing poker,i had a lot of mistakes at my game but every day i was better .I saw my mistakes ...i saw mistakes of other players ...this is the way to gain skill .So we have to learn from our mistakes !:)

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hell we all make mistakes.
As you continue to play you will remember these mistakes that you made.
As long as you learn from them and try to prevent them from happening again you should be ok.

Its a plus to learn from others

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both, but to really get better at poker. You also need to be able to correct the mistakes you are unaware that you even have. Thats the most tricky part!

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learn from the mistakes from myself.
I mostly don't see the mistake from others or already know how to deal with the situations my oppenent did wrong.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I learn from my mistakes and also from others. The biggest problem is to stop making some mistakes, for example, tilt after a bad beat, keep calm really is very difficult. The poker game is a game of nerves

K

kapos77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
The quest for the best combination. Very similar to the third point. Beginners often remain in the hand, hoping that the combination will improve. It may be possible flushes and straights, or even flash piano. The main thing - to understand whether or not to try to catch the combination or not.
Revaluation marginal cards. A very common mistake: the newcomers come into play with cards that look very good - but looks can be deceiving. For example, in Texas Hold'em is suited cards or face cards with a bad kicker. Just here you can play the type of card QT, KJ, A9. In these pocket cards it is highly unlikely that the flop cards will give you a winning combination. Such cards are of some use, but an understanding of how to play, comes with experience with them. Even if you have a pair, you can easily win.
The impact of emotions on the game. If you had a hard day or you lose a few hands, then your emotions will certainly be reflected in your decisions. It is likely that the game is on the emotions will bring you only the losses. Beginners often can not rest on the game, and this prevents them from "reading table" - ignore information that could help them win. If you feel that you made a decision based only on emotions, stop and think again.
Playing out of position. In addition to the cards in poker there are many factors that influence the decisions of the players. Your position, then there is a place at the table - one of those factors. For example, if you decide the latter, you can see how players behaved, sitting before you. beginners mistake is that they often make bets regardless of their position and without a plan to hand. You can learn more about the game in the position and without having read the previous lessons of this course
Too much bluffing. Some beginners think only of the bluff. You have to understand how often to bluff, so as not to be predictable. If you always bluff, opponents will no longer trust you and often will reveal your bluff, winning more and more of your chips.
Game bankroll. It is important to manage your money. Beginners do not understand the importance of the game for your bankroll. Do not sit at the table with all your money, or money that you can not take the risk. You are a great player? It will not save you, poker is unpredictable.

miric007

miric007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would be good to be able to learn from the mistakes of other players, but I am a stubborn person.
I notice an error only when they do.