Do you have study tips?

Brentsn

Brentsn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study, study study, is all I hear. What and how to study I don’t know. Charts for this spot and charts for that spot. There seems to be a chart for every hand at every position. If UTG bets, if MP bets, if button bets, if no one bets, if you have 200+bb, if you got 15 bb. My eyes glaze and I just go play. What are some other ways to study?

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study step by step. Not all togeather. Why not to start with CardsChat training course "30 days". Good luck.

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study, study study, is all I hear. What and how to study I don’t know. Charts for this spot and charts for that spot. There seems to be a chart for every hand at every position. If UTG bets, if MP bets, if button bets, if no one bets, if you have 200+bb, if you got 15 bb. My eyes glaze and I just go play. What are some other ways to study?

I don't know where you fall in terms of poker knowledge. But, I'm assuming you're beyond the 30 day course.

Try some professional poker streams on Twitch. Most share their cards and go over their thought process on difficult hands. It can be very education to know how a professional would play hands. I like to to try to guess what they're going to do before they act. I get it right a little over half the time and so, the other half of the time I try to understand why what they chose to do was better than what I wanted to do.

After a while you start to find yourself in similar situations. The other day, I had jacks preflop, utg. I bet 4 bigs (it was a deeper stacked tournament) and i got raised to 16.5 bigs. I knew I had seen one of the streamer I watched play pocket jacks very similarly. They went so far as to explain the likely range of the opponent. And so I knew that I had to fold because my best case scenario was a flip.

And if you're not into streams. There's a ton of in depth courses and resources that will improve your game for relatively low prices.. to name some off the top of my head:
- Raise your edge
- Upswing poker
- BBZPoker

I hope this was helpful. Sorry that I couldn't include books or more physical means to study - I've only ever used online resources myself.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can use someone else's practice - video recordings of the game of those who already play well and know how to teach others poker strategy. Streams and video tutorials can help you learn how to play poker from scratch, but you should start watching them after you have learned the strategy from books and theory articles, as basic knowledge is sorely needed here.

E

Elfina777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best learning tip is to play as often as possible, learn from mistakes, and use your intuition.

J

JimTheBadger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best learning tip is to play as often as possible, learn from mistakes, and use your intuition.

Not great study advice. Little will be gained without access to outside resources and tools. A lot of players don't feel they are making mistakes when they are and are playing good when they aren't. Without outside forces to help you would exist in a performance vacuum.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The key is understanding instead of learning.
Lets take charts for an instance. Insted of memorizing them, try to understand why they're build exactly that way, in the details. If you succeed, you don't need to remember how it look anymore, the information you'll seek at particular moment appears in your mind from that understanding.

That's not a school where you have to hold in your head useless substituted information which has very little in common with your prime goal. You want to know more about what you can use. If it's useful, it will settled in your head on it's own with daily practice.

Knowledge, thats you believe is right, but you can't explain it even to yourself can cause more harm then good.

Yakk

Yakk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Study Poker?

Study Poker?
If it is true, it is somewhat overwhelming to realize how much detail a hand of poker takes, but also as it is pleasant and exciting to discover how many ways there are to achieve victory and that not many know.
You must take it easy like any other game, be it physical or mental, just think, let's say baseball, how long does it take to learn to be a good player? Know how to throw the ball, catch it, hit well, run the bases, play a certain position. Understand the signals of your coach (not all will be good signals), it is a learning process, it takes time! So what do you think happens in poker? It is the same, it is as extremely complex as any other sport, it takes time of study, of practice and analysis and again back to the game.
You are right to comment that you should know this and that and that but you must be patient.
Self-evaluate, how much you know about the game, but be frank with yourself, write that you know well and what you think you are failing or do not know.
Poker is not only about primers or diagrams, do not get carried away by the advertising of schools or famous players saying that with this or that tool you will be a winner, definitely tools help are necessary, but they are only that, a tool in your arsenal of game.
Come on be frank, you know in depth the fundamentals of poker, you can tell yourself easily, without so much conceptualization? How to say "The Lord's Prayer"?
You have learned to play each street and determined what to do if a player bets you, or raises you or goes all-in, what options do you have for each of them? You can internalize and tell yourself how you are going to play in a tournament in each one of its phases? Do you know how to play each position, what range of hands to carry in each position and figure out the range of your opponent, how to play preflop, postflop, what do I do on the turn if I am out or in position? How do I play the river? ? Do I polarize my action or not?

For all of the above, everyone has their own opinion or experience and not all of us know how to play them optimally, nobody can say that they have the best strategy, they have their strategies that work well for them and they are fine-tuning it every day and we all start from scratch, like you for fun and with friends on the weekend.
Many of us are fascinated by poker as a game, it is fantastic and frustrating at the same time, but it has that egoistic, overwhelming but fascinating element that is the bet and for that reason it attracts us more, we are there because we have the opportunity to make a lot of money with little, only Depending on our skills and knowledge, with the strength of our character and the right decisions we defeat those who have been screwing us for a long time and we rise proud of our achievement, that taste of victory is clearly brutal.
But for this you have to study a lot, practice and reflect on your results.
Sit down review your game, divide it into parts, go in and look for all the videos of Collin Moshman they are very successful in that you will find a lot of knowledge, experience and that comes from a successful player who at the time demonstrated the correctness of his knowledge, I do not intend to advertise He does not know me, nor does he know that I write here, he already has it without anyone's help, but what I want to tell you is do not despair, do not get carried away by the advertising of supposed magic potions to be an instant winner that does not exist , do not get carried away by expensive learning courses, we must be humble to accept that we know little or nothing, we must sit down and enjoy discovering new things. Look at the time that I have been playing, and a while after several years, I realized that I was still playing mediocre and I started and reflect on my game, I made an effort to accept that I did not know many things and I felt defeated, but I did not give up keep learning, I took up the action again and began little by little to discover my failures, I began to try to understand how others play how they can get to ITM, to enter the final table and I began to build a strategy in a simple way and I was incorporating ways to play every street eye, it is a process of trial and error, patience, I got to play freerolls as many as I could to learn more, avoid putting my money in danger, never in my years of playing poker I have put aside my economic or family responsibilities, I have never taken money from my family budget, that is, only a couple of times I took from my savings for my bankroll, I lost it and in my reflection I swore that if I was successful it would be starting from scratch, by my own efforts.
I consider myself a poker player, not a mediocre ludopath, that for me does not exist, it belongs to people who have other more serious problems and they surface playing poker or in another form of gambling.
We must be fair, accept our mistakes, improve, build a strategy, a plan, put it into practice, improve it until we achieve our purposes.
Do not be discouraged, dedicate the necessary time or what you can to study and understand the game little by little, every day a good time, enjoy it, discover new ways to make them bite the dust and you will see in time how your efforts, sacrifices will be rewarded .

Cheers

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quick answer

Study what the top 20 best hands are and you probably know or could learn with a click then learn how to Identify players. Now i like to use the Vpip, c bet 3 bet hud type on internet but live ppl cant help themselves but give away what they got. Internet hud Who VOLINTARILY PUT IN CHIPS PRE you can keep a mental note or use the notes pad on the poker table. I feel for a beginner that using the color and notes are best. Assign color to type of play with notes being noted on their exploitable tendencies. Like after Vpip how often do the Continuation Bet on the flop. I always bet the flop because In lower buyu ins ppl fold.Brings us to TIGHT PASSIVE PLAYERS or calling stations or scared money. Meaning when they got ak and some one raises theyll never reraise and will chase draws to the river. Little anoying at first but they are your bank and will always pay but never bluff and if they raise its pocket pairs so 36 suited 56 off and up small pairs as long as its cheap which it will be. LOOSE AGRESSIVE PLAYERS, wild cards seem like always playing crap but its usually marginal. K 2 suited - K9 off suit and any face with dangler in isolation so usually call them with the goods 99 up and k j up. And if you hit Top two, set or a big draw let them bet and look for good prices. If you drawing to the FLUSH you need atleast 2 to 1 on the flop and turns you got 18 roughly to hit if you havent so 4.5 to 1 or better. And if they C bet and check turn then bluff river cause they will fold. LOOSE PASSIVE usually where cards on their sleeves. When they strong they bet and when they not you can bet big and they fold. TIGHT AGGRESSIVE are the dude always 2.2 bb x and c bet the flop and will if they think you will fold keep Barreling. Now there are the PRos and they are the chameleons of the game. They will watch your Vpip so you should raiseing pre about 20- 35 % and C betting 80% and from turn and river its trivial. basic and simplified if it dont make full sense replay a question and ill answer. keep stacking sorry i was play a couple games as i was typing so anything more you need me to elaborate just a Cards chat lol

P

pcurley17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try the cards chat 30 days
im half way through very good so far

deputat777

deputat777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are serious about playing poker, hire a poker coach to speed up your learning curve.

Poker Tips