Do you have a problem with Discipline and Patience

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play low stakes tourneys paying $1-3 per game with at least $300 gtd. I watch these players playing everything under the sun. They do this for half the game than they are gone. Than they play good hands for most of the rest of the game. Than You are in the money and i get about half way through that and see people playing lots of hands and i may play one maybe two an hour. I want to play too. I see some people bluff and get caught and makes want to play bad hands that I shouldn't be playing so like an idiot i do and than i end up loosing and I'm out of the game because I don't have the patience and discipline to continue to wait for good hands to play. The times I have been able to Play "correctly" I have won the tournament So I know I have it in me to do so. I have a couple of questions for you all.
1. How have you developed discipline to only play your range and not play too many hands that you shouldn't play.
2. How have you developed Patience to wait for those hands?
These are the things that i need to work on to become a winning player. Do any of you have suggestions to help me with these common problems in poker? Thanks for your time

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Neo, we got the same problem man. Thats my biggest weakness so far, the patience and discipline. Not just patience in waiting for the right moment to get into the game but also the discipline to stand up from the table when it is time to stand up.

L

Ltech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker gamer

Poker is a game of incomplete information...so you have to be patience for the right hand.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
Together with Patient and discipline there is one more little thing called luck
Unfortunately as example I get AK suited and go all in pre-flop.
Then some other fish call with 69 . Guess what?
The turn come 639 and i am out
Believe it? This happened for real
Rgds

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I tell you that when I started playing poker ... I had a lot of problems with learning to control my patience and submitting to a discipline ... in fact until I lost and then analyzed that the biggest reason for my losses was because I was not patient and for not being disciplined ...! Now I have improved a lot in that ... and therefore my game is much better ...!

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It took me awhile to recognize that I'm going to fold far more often then I play a hand. And that its better in the long run to learn the opening hands that I should be playing in each position as it'll make me more chips in the long run. Once you do that you'll recognize that you need to have the patience to get better.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience? problem? what are you talking about? seriously? you have problems with patience at poker? nobody has that!! :D:D:D

I was hard for me until the day I convinced meself to wait and be patient for an entire game... I had less then 9BB at the bubble, I was sure I was out in 2-3 hands and finally I I won the tourney.. but that's not what makes you win on a long run..

the bluff is part of the game and needs to be executed at the right time.. you don't just decide "ok, this is when I bluff. Go! :icon_thum" without considering the whole thing before.. did you made the right move before? can someone suspect you bluffing? who saw my cards ? What cards have they seen and how I played them? And then, once in a while, you give it a shot and get caught!!!:D

-TRP-

L

livyst123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel you but for me after playing very often for several weeks I finally brainwashed myself to not do that.

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Alas, this is a problem for many players . I have the same problem . Patience and discipline . Because of this, I'm not playing cash !

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Discipline, patience and other virtues in poker other than strategies are things that we must learn from our own mistakes from the lack of not follow them.
As already said, the tougher opponents to beat are ourselves.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I had no problems with discipline, I would probably be very rich, few people manage to keep themselves in their hands.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Obviously, the two necessary components for each successful player is patience and discipline. Meditation helps me. Thanks to the meditations I am more patient and disciplined, besides, I always have a good mood.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience in online games is my first enemy. But I have not yet found a solution for how to deal with it.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I have two problems that happen all the time I can't figure out. One I get flooded with a bunch of good hole cards. When I bet they keep losing. When I don't bet they lose but I don't know when they going to hit. Its even worse. These hole cards probability show a plus sign and probably should win.

The other is you never get good hole cards and get blinded cause your not doing the probability on them.

Neither situation have I haven't been able to figure out. For better or worse. I do know one thing though. I have cashed on intertops.eu.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
The problem is not patience and discipline alone.

Lets say you are disciplined and patiently wait for AA and you make your move, you will get called and maybe you win or lose it depends on your luck too... or you will patiently lose your stack waiting with all discipline and all patience.

So in my opinion everyone plays according to the need of the hour and thats why you see a lot of 10 Q shoving all in as they are about to be extinguished from the game and either move up or move out..

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think one thing that may be helpful for you is using the entire playclock. I know that on some decisions 20-30s can seem like a short time, but you'd be surprised how often I see a bad decision made with 5-10s. I hardly ever see bad decisions with people who use 20+s and the time bank. Impulse is combated by one thing. Forcing yourself to wait.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think one thing that may be helpful for you is using the entire playclock. I know that on some decisions 20-30s can seem like a short time, but you'd be surprised how often I see a bad decision made with 5-10s. I hardly ever see bad decisions with people who use 20+s and the time bank. Impulse is combated by one thing. Forcing yourself to wait.

I have to try to use the time clock more. Stop and smell the roses as they say. This is good advice I intend to use going forward.

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play low stakes tourneys paying $1-3 per game with at least $300 gtd. I watch these players playing everything under the sun. They do this for half the game than they are gone. Than they play good hands for most of the rest of the game. Than You are in the money and i get about half way through that and see people playing lots of hands and i may play one maybe two an hour. I want to play too. I see some people bluff and get caught and makes want to play bad hands that I shouldn't be playing so like an idiot i do and than i end up loosing and I'm out of the game because I don't have the patience and discipline to continue to wait for good hands to play. The times I have been able to Play "correctly" I have won the tournament So I know I have it in me to do so. I have a couple of questions for you all.
1. How have you developed discipline to only play your range and not play too many hands that you shouldn't play.
2. How have you developed Patience to wait for those hands?
These are the things that i need to work on to become a winning player. Do any of you have suggestions to help me with these common problems in poker? Thanks for your time

the fact that you are aware that you have to be patient is that you have already understood that patience is necessary in poker. me before I played almost every hand and after losing I had to change this strategy and be patient, which makes people nervous and impatient is when they do not get a good hand for a long time and the they lose patience and start following average hands so I think we become patient when we realize that we are losing good luck

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all have some flaws, there are days that we are inspired, other days we seem like beginners, the correct way is without doubt is the patience and wait for good hands and when they come we must have patience to hit the flop, or try some bluff if not but the tight aggressive style is obviously a winning style, but it is not easy to fold a TJs when there is an aggression before you play, we do not want to miss the chance to make a flush or straight, but we do not remember that we are going to go wrong the flop most of the time.

F

fastfash25

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's just say, I like to practice ...what hands Beat what! with ACRs video poker skins open(simultaneously) while I'm waiting to fold my next (Texas holdem)tournament hand. Lol

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did for a long time when I first started playing but I got tired of losing my bankroll in like 5 minutes. (exaggeration) Patience is the cornerstone of my game now. If you want quick and fast take up blackjack. :)

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Top 46 paid, of course I placed 47th on a $1K freeroll. KQ was best hand I got dealt but even that was beat if I would not have folded.

If I have patience I bubble way more than I like to. So, my time is valuable, so I will sacrifice a few games by going in a few extra times to get my chip stack to what should get me ITM, then sit out game until it happens OR I will lose all my chips becauss I went in on some sub optimal hands, because I refuse to waste 3 hours of my time only to bubble or bubble +1.

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My recipe:
1) No beer
2) No vine
3) Use hand ranges

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
thos are my biggest problems , you described the issues perfect for me , i need to fix thos problems , i had the pleausure to play aggainst Lena and she/he very pattiently practicing a very tight style