BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Personally, i can’t single out one, because there are so many cool books...

nikoszwtos93

nikoszwtos93

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle Brunson's Super System II
Amazing book with great writing I suggest to every1 who starts poker now

P

possle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read a few books and in some rankings "Harrington on Hold'em" is on the first place. I agree with that opinion. I also recommend "Elements of Poker".

pykubepx111

pykubepx111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter how much I play poker, I have not read a single poker book, I look at the source data and analysis of the final tables. I think this is enough.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There are a few 'classics' I haven't read yet but my favourite book so far is 'Kill Everyone'..

Also, if you read it in public, you get some great looks from people when they notice the title...

No matter how much I play poker, I have not read a single poker book, I look at the source data and analysis of the final tables. I think this is enough.

If you are serious about poker...

... Then you are overlooking the opportunity to benefit from the experience of people who have played much more poker than you, at higher levels.

This is like a young footballer saying, 'I don't need to listen to advice from Pele, I just look at the statistics from the last Sunday league match I played to see where I can improve'..

If you are just playing poker for fun...

... That's fine..

pykubepx111

pykubepx111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a few 'classics' I haven't read yet but my favourite book so far is 'Kill Everyone'..

Also, if you read it in public, you get some great looks from people when they notice the title...

If you are serious about poker...

... Then you are overlooking the opportunity to benefit from the experience of people who have played much more poker than you, at higher levels.

This is like a young footballer saying, 'I don't need to listen to advice from Pele, I just look at the statistics from the last Sunday league match I played to see where I can improve'..

If you are just playing poker for fun...

... That's fine..

I understand what you mean. But based on your answer, I have a question. What book can you recommend for a poker discipline like 5 card Draw?

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I understand what you mean. But based on your answer, I have a question. What book can you recommend for a poker discipline like 5 card Draw?

Personally, I cannot recommend one.

I'm not the kind of person to recommend a book I haven't read...

That being said, I'd be surprised if there wasn't one someone on the forum could..

Failing that, I'd be surprised if there wasn't one published by someone who knows the game inside out..

Otherwise a book that doesn't have a thorough section on the variant at least...

I bet there's a load on mixed games..

If there isn't a book on a particular poker subject, I recommend 'The art of war' by Sun Tzu.

This is a great strategy book for many walks of life.

pykubepx111

pykubepx111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I cannot recommend one.

I'm not the kind of person to recommend a book I haven't read...

That being said, I'd be surprised if there wasn't one someone on the forum could..

Failing that, I'd be surprised if there wasn't one published by someone who knows the game inside out..

Otherwise a book that doesn't have a thorough section on the variant at least...

I bet there's a load on mixed games..

If there isn't a book on a particular poker subject, I recommend 'The art of war' by Sun Tzu.

This is a great strategy book for many walks of life.
Thanks for the advice and the book that you recommended, I would definitely read if you would like, although I would prefer the video

J

Jlo111888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i read only one kill poker but not worth it:stupido:

RVTR7777

RVTR7777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good afternoon.

Power hold'em - Daniel Negreanu recommend great book.

beldin2010

beldin2010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People this is the one:
Matt Flynn, Sunny Mehta, and Ed Miller (2007). Professional No Limit Hold 'Em: Volume I

V

Vlad Nesterenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately no, because I haven’t read anything, but I will be glad to recommendations

T1ltmonkey

T1ltmonkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For 5 Card Draw, I don't think there has been much written at all. There was a chapter in Super System I, but that was written a long time ago and might not be relevant anymore. You will find a few basic articles online but that seems to be it.

T1ltmonkey

T1ltmonkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice question - I am old and cranky so I still like books in an age when most people prefer video. [emoji12] (That said, I agree that the most up-to-date strategy can probably be found in videos now.) But there is still lots to be learned from good books, not least when it comes to the basic principles of the game.

A few books that have helped me learn and improve:

For beating micro stakes NLHE:
Crushing the Microstakes by Nathan "Blackrain79" Williams

For basic theory:
The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky (classic, but not a very fun read :p)

For allround mixed game strategy:
Mastering Mixed Games by Dylan Linde

Just for fun and good gambling stories:

The Professor, The Banker and the Suicide King by Michael Craig

For Richer, For Poorer by Victoria Coren

Big Deal by Anthony Holden

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I liked very much "mental game of poker". It really helped me.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Excelling at No-Limit Hold'em

Great book with a collection of great authors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNAYstvl4Yc

I may be a TINY bit biased, and for good reason, see why in the video ;)

I have this book and can confirm that it is good..

There are a couple of chapters which are a little 'fluffy' from weaker authors but the book as a whole is very worthwhile with a wide range of topics, thoroughly discussed.

Here's a more thorough list https://www.gripsed.com/strategy/top-10-poker-books
It includes my top picks for all categories: Cash, MTT, Mental Game, and more

The Tao of poker is a very unstandard book, but wow is it magical.
Highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys both poker and philosophy!

Thanks for the tip! Big fan of Taoism, so that title certainly jumps out at me... Will be reading that asap!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have this book and can confirm that it is good..

There are a couple of chapters which are a little 'fluffy' from weaker authors but the book as a whole is very worthwhile with a wide range of topics, thoroughly discussed.

Thanks for the tip! Big fan of Taoism, so that title certainly jumps out at me... Will be reading that asap!

Have you played with me yet on the ACR freeroll?

I have a feeling you would enjoy my username. :)

Also, have you read much by Alan Watts? He is one of my favorite authors and was a living sage.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My first recommendation to the OP regarding poker books is to check out your local library's online catalog. You might be pleasantly surprised by the selection you have available to you, for free!

Also, as Tracid has pointed out with the excellent recommendation of, "The Art of War" many "non poker books" can be used quite constructively toward the development of ones game. When seeking out new books to read (my reading list is well developed at this point with hundreds of books 'to read') my main objective is to read authors whom I believe to have been (or be) the greatest thinkers. This doesn't have to be exclusively philosophy, although I have read a great deal of it. Poker is no different of a subject, and I think it would be wise to discover the greatest thinking poker writers to guide you on your journey. I glossed over the list that Evan provided and it looks comprehensive and interesting. Unfortunately not a lot of those books are available for loan, so I'd have to purchase the ones I'm interested in. If anyone wants to send me a copy of 'The Tao of Poker' to borrow, I would gladly accept and I'd send a different book back as a thank you! :)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Have you played with me yet on the ACR freeroll?

I have a feeling you would enjoy my username. :)

Also, have you read much by Alan Watts? He is one of my favorite authors and was a living sage.

Hi pal,

No, we haven't played there yet (you would have remembered[trust me]:laugh:) but you can expect not to have to wait too long for that mutual delight..

I just need to replace my laptop as it seems I can't play CC games via mobile there...

Hoping to have this sorted within 6-12 months..

So, obviously your handle incorporates or references Taoism or the Tao... :icon_scra

I can only guess as to how that might take form but can safely say that I'll love it and I doff my cap to you for having the presence of mind to use something so epic when choosing...

I have attempted (unsuccessfully) many times to encourage PS to allow me to adjust my username... I've always loathed having to substitute letters for numbers or tagging a ton of numbers on the end... When I made my account I thought I would be able to edit my username later and was just way too eager to get on the tables...

So now I have to live with 'Tr4cid'... :bawling:

It's not that bad, but I'm a little OCD about these things...

So my latest scheme to rectify this is simple...

Acquire 'Stars Team Pro' or 'Team Pro online' status..

They're allowed to change their usernames upon joining..

Shouldn't be too difficult, right? ;)

Alan Watts? I'm not sure I've read his books (yet) but recognise the name... If I'm not mistaken his voice appears on chillout music on Spotify, him reading his philosophical writings combined with laid-back beats...

When I heard it I knew I needed to read...

Can you give me some good titles of his to look out for/get?

:icon_flow

Last edited by a moderator:
MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the first few books the got was Harrington On Holdem. Was an eye opener for me.