Do you have a favorite Poker Book?

laceypearls

laceypearls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was wondering if any of you have a favorite book written by the pro's and if you think the book will more or less benefit the Beginer poker player, advance or both? Also what did you like most about the book. Can you tell I'm book searching. lol Gl everyone at the tables today.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Killer Poker - No Limit by Vorhaus is my favourite at the moment, for a number of reasons:

- It does a really good job of covering the 'game beyond the game': making sure you're in the right mindset, analysing other players, etc
- It encourages a lot of self-analysis
- Covers some great plays and ideas both for cash games and tournaments

On the downside, there's a really, really awful foreword written by Mark Seif. But you can skip that.

Tomthebomb

Tomthebomb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like these

Supersystem - Doyle Brunson
Poker tells - The Mad Scientist Caro.

I read a few other, but these were my favorites!

luvminnesota

luvminnesota

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington 1 & 2 are in my opinion some of the best reading you can do. These are more for tournament play but he really does a great job of not only teaching the game, but also teaching you how to LEARN the game. This is a lot different than just a how to approach. Harrington also has a cash game addition. I love the problems section of these books. Read them more than once and you'll find you approach to the game has changed some since your first reading. I would say good luck but I don't really like the aspect of luck in poker, so good play!

martygokona

martygokona

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gotta agree on Harrington on Hold em. I read Volume 1 and found it to be easy to understand with very helpful hand examples. Gonna read Voume 2 next. I read Sklansky on Advanced tournament poker last year. He covers some good topics but is very technical. So, of the handful of books that i've read.. I think that Harrington was the best for me.

Aloha

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington on Hold Em
Supersystem

S

SloansTeddy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington's 2 books were great. Learned from his s&g strategy.

shrtstakatak

shrtstakatak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HoH

Harrington on Holdem Vol 1, 2 and 3. REad them improved my game immensely.

Then I started reading Harrington's volumes on Cash games and I must say the book is laid out the same way as his tourney books, the strategies are quite different and my tourney game mind-set got kinda messed up. I stopped reading for now until I'm ready to delve into cash games more seriously.

I just bought Kill Everyone and haven't had a chance to crack it open yet.

shrtstakatak

shrtstakatak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Killer Poker - No Limit by Vorhaus is my favourite at the moment, for a number of reasons:

- It does a really good job of covering the 'game beyond the game': making sure you're in the right mindset, analysing other players, etc
- It encourages a lot of self-analysis
- Covers some great plays and ideas both for cash games and tournaments

On the downside, there's a really, really awful foreword written by Mark Seif. But you can skip that.

Have you read any of Vorhaus' other Killer books?

Michael69

Michael69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im reading Harrington Vol 1 right now.

M

MFaith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington and Holdem 1 & 2 are my favorites. The section on M play in volume 2 alone is the worth the price of the books. Try E-bay or Amazon for cheap prices.

S

sublimefool

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington 1 and 2 not only because they are great and easy to understand and read but so many other people have read them and use the concepts in them

K

KDS63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For my birthday last year my brother-in-law gave me Phil Gordon's 3-book set -- it's been pretty useful. Generally easy to read, and it covers pretty much all aspects of playing NL Texas Holdem.

Phil Gordon's Little Black Book (Beginning Poker Lessons and the No Limit Lifestyle)

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book (Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em).

Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book (More Lessons and Hand Analysis in No limit Texas Hold'em).

Sheepodog

Sheepodog

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Warwick Dunnett's Poker Wizards: Wisdom from the World's Top No-Limit Hold'em Players is a new poker book that, from the reviews I've read, seems to fit the bill for all levels of poker experience. I'll be looking for it the next time I hit the mall!:D

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never read a poker book and have no intentions on doing so.
RailbirdsAvatarOnCC said:
no book will help you when you are playing a donk
Hmmm. If you've never read a poker book, how do you know which book will help whom when they play anyone? An authoritative statement from a self-proclamed non-authority on the subject.

mparker876

mparker876

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington 1 & 2 (for tourney play)
Supersystem 1 (for ring play)
Caro's Book of poker tells (for live play)

Currently reading Every Hand Reavealed by Gus Hansen, pretty good insight into LAG play.

S

steveguy5212

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
wow nobody mentioned "Small Stakes Hold 'em" by ed miller, david skalansky and mason malmuth.

B

Brann6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife wanted to start playing some small (45-runner) tournaments so I gave her "Poker Tournament Formula" by Snyder. It teaches mostly positional aggression for smaller stack/fast rising blind structure events.

She's tripled her bankroll lol.

Brann

D

dresden1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
only one book needed

SUPER SYSTEMS DOLYE BRUNSON I only used the nolimit holdem section to be honest and most of what doyle has to say (you got mind when this book was written) you can gleam from all the poker analystists comments when watching eg world series of poker or world poker tour on the tv.So where the hell do you think THEY got their ideas from? THE MASTER HIMSELF.The man has taught an entire generation how to play.

B

bronx3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For general poker, read Super System II (the original is outdated)

For beginners, read Harrington before Doyle. His is very good for tournaments.

N

NewHill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of my Favorites

One of my favorite books is Phil Gordon's "Little Green Book".Not only does it give great information about how to play the game,but it is also the kind of instructional book that is easy to read and not just "technical" reading.

B

bronx3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DID ANYone know Super System II is available online for free on Doyle's website. Just thought you should know before you spend 25 bucks on it.