Do I still follow bankroll management with a balance as low as $0.25?

Murasaki

Murasaki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
This is something I have started to question as I am looking into learning proper bankroll management as whenever I win any money from freerolls, I lose it fast. But let's say I won 25 cents for making it out of the bubble and into the money, is it still worth following basic rules of bankroll management and enter super micro buy in events or just take a gamble and play a 3 person spin game for 25 cents and try to double the money?

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello.
Of course you need to stick to the previous strategy. To win out to lose is wrong. Spin for 3 is sometimes much harder than a regular tournament, as it is a fast game with a small initial stack.

For example. Today I entered the tournament with a $2.5 buy-in and won $84, taking 1st place. Then I decided to play spin and after 30 minutes there was nothing left of them. 🤣🤣🤣
But this is normal for me, since I play for fun and do not seek to increase my bankroll. 🤷‍♀️

Cardschat offers excellent freerolls, exclusive VIP tournaments and special series of tournaments. You can safely increase your balance without risking anything.

When you gain, for example, $ 50, then start working with a bankroll. Set a task: to continue participating in freerolls and, for example, not to fall below $ 40, playing in tournaments with a small amount of buy-in.
Control your bankroll and you will succeed.👍🤗

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is something I have started to question as I am looking into learning proper bankroll management as whenever I win any money from freerolls, I lose it fast. But let's say I won 25 cents for making it out of the bubble and into the money, is it still worth following basic rules of bankroll management and enter super micro buy in events or just take a gamble and play a 3 person spin game for 25 cents and try to double the money?
Yes Murasaki,

Bankroll Management and Discipline is key. Set a goal that is $100 x the Buy-in of the tournament you want to play. I wanted to play $1 tournaments so had to wait until I got to $100 from playing freerolls.

If you are thinking of cash games well that varies and may be much more, probably $200 to play 1c/2c tables comfortably.

Poker has a learning curve and I only started doing better after studying and practicing in the freerolls, league and individual matches.

Have you completed the Become a winning poker player in 30 days Course? Please do - great information and activities.

Be patient and enjoy watching your money grow - risk-free!

Here is my thread Zero Bankroll Builder Challenge. All my games and results are there. You can avoid my pitfalls :)

Enjoy the process, it is rewarding if done right!

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think it's better to stick to games with a good structure, playing a turbo with a short stack is just asking for variance to eat what br you may have left..

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are not depositing then you need to maintain bankroll management to build a bankroll. It will be a baby bankroll - but it has to start somewhere.

If you "gamble" and play a spin game and double your money - then what will you do with the 50 cents?

My advice is to congratulate yourself on the 25 cent win. Obviously you have the skills to do this and you should repeat until you build a bankroll of 3 to 5 dollars/euro.

Now you can play 10 cent 50 cent MTTs and hopefully win more within your bankroll.

Good luck !

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Using cash games as an example the lowest stake available on most sites is 2NL. So for cash games bankroll management means defining, when you have enough to play 5NL (or any higher limit), and when you need to stick to 2NL. A reasonable number to select could be 100$, because if you drop below 100$, you still have almost 50 BIs for 2NL. So with 118$ in the account you can play 5NL or 2NL. With 96$ you can only play 2NL. And with 12$ you can still play 2NL, but you need to be prepared to reload your account soon or win some more money from freerolls, since its easy to lose 6BIs. So in short the answer to your question is, no, it does not make sense to think about bankroll management, until you have at least some money in your account.

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I'd say by experience that you play with a lot of pressure when you have just a few bucks.
There's no hurry in poker. You should take your time to build at least a small bankroll to start playing with more confidence.

B

bananovsky1999

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'd say that the best thing to do if you want to play something other then freerolls and stick to a bankroll management is to deposit 25$

That way, if you follow the 100 BI rule for bankroll management, you'll be able to play 0,25 SNG (which is a much better way to make some cash then freerolls)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
play with the money you're willing to lose is the best way if you can afford this game then play and if not, play at small stakes but it's long and painful, but you still have to if you don't have extra money to play

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think you should look at your balance in a range and see if it is positive. If it is negative it is not advisable to raise the level.

dartablasta

dartablasta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes bro, i play Battle Royale, and i like to crush the 4 levels (0.25, 1$, 3$, 10$), and understanding the bankroll management its the best way for you, even if it is .25 cents(y)

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends. If you don't have bankroll yet, I would not play with the $0.25 and I would save the money to build a initial bankroll (of at least $100 to play more comfortable). I have a small bankroll and I usually use the freerolls winning to play tournaments that I'm not supposed to due to bankroll management.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You have two paths, follow your instincts and bet all $.25 and risk losing it all at once, or follow the rules, bet small and win gradually.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have two paths, follow your instincts and bet all $.25 and risk losing it all at once, or follow the rules, bet small and win gradually.
How exactly can he do the latter, when the cheapest SnG, that is offered on pokerstars, is for $0,25? He only has money to play this once, so bankroll management is not possible. A more meaningfull question would be "I can only afford to make the minimum deposit of $10, do I still follow bankroll management?". And the answer to that would be, that it depends on, how important it is to be able to continue playing, and how long it will take, before another $10 deposit can be made.

If for instance OP prefer cash games, it would be completely fine to play 2NL with those $10, even its not good bankroll management. If he is lucky, it works out, and if not he just stop playing, until another deposit can be made. You can call this playing with a budget, and in reality this is, what most people do, weather they are conscious about it or not. But if he really wants to implement bankroll management with $10, then the game to play would be the $0,25 SnGs, since this gives the highest chance of not going bust. Or at least be able to play until the next paycheck allow another $10 deposit if needed.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Below $0.25 I wouldn't get into any game.
Rather, play freeroll - if you don't want to deposit - and win more money.
Thanks to Cardschat, there are so many possibilities that a little patience and you can increase yourself quickly from 0.25.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Always very important to follow Bankroll Management theories, They tend to be different for every player, but I prefer Doyle Brunson's theory that in Tournament play you should never buy-in for more than 1% of your total Bankroll, so whether it is a 9 player sit and go, or a 400+ Tournament, 1% is the maximum you should invest.
A cash game however, is a different strategy in that he would never play a cash game unless he was willing to lose 200X the BB, so sitting down to a 50 Cent $1 Dollar game, you need $200 Dollars just to sit down.
A friend of mine once told me he had lost £100 playing on-line Poker buying in for £10 a time and lost the lot in one night, I told him I had a $200 Dollar Bankroll on Pokerstars he said "Wow you could play 4X $50 buy-ins" "What and lose the lot in one night" I replied.
He eventually got the message!
Bankroll Management! is very important!

Silversurfer99

Silversurfer99

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
yea play those freerolls, and if you end up with a big stack , you can afford that add-on for 11 or 5 cent..

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
From my perspective, you need to have a bankroll in order to exercise bankroll management.

I think it's personal preference if you would rather build up a mini-bankroll from freerolls, or if you prefer take a punt with your first freeroll cash.

I would say, if you have not invested any of your own cash, then BRM is not very important until you get to around $25, so that you have a BR worth protecting and is not easy to re-build from playing freerolls. This gives you 100 buy-ins at $0.25, which is more than enough to prove if you're a winning player at those stakes. If you're not a winning player then no amount of BRM will stop you going bust.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I would play it in a 45 sng . I would play some freerolls or even deposit to start a new Bankroll.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you cant have discipline with 25cents how are you going to have discipline with larger amounts.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have never yelled at myself for entering a $1.10 or less tourney. Heck, most 2c/5c I think have a minimum entry of $2, so I would also never yell at myself for playing a $2 or less minimum ring game.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'd suggest you stick to the 1 penny games but seeing as OP has quit poker, it's sort of impossible.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If your bankroll is 25 cents, it's not much, but it's definitely better than zero :)
But I also believe that there is a conditional minimum amount that can be considered a bankroll and in my opinion it is $100. If you have less than $100, it means that you can only play in freerolls :)

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management