Do bad beats throw you off your game? Recovering.. how?

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok ok.. Decided to spend a dollar instead of freerolling it. Came in with 7 levels of late registration to go. Made a conscious decision to play a little more aggressive and do some reraising at opportune spots etc. Actually was chip leader(currently 4 out of 90 left) I was dealt pocket Aces. Under the gun raised.. fold fold.. I 3 bet.. button raised.. both blinds and UTG folded.. I went all in.. button called. AA vs JQ offsuit. rainbow nothing flop.. runner runner J Q and he wins.. Even losing a decent pot to him I was still chip leader. As I write story NOW I am 8 of 81...

My question is.. How do you get back in the mindset? How do you recover? It's amazing to me the difference in how I was playing... and now. lol gonna go get a shot of Jack and sit out for 5 minute I think.

Tourney on break.. 10 of 76.. top 45 pay. ACR $300 GTD 6 - Max table.

D

Donny bennight

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just sit out a couple of hands and let it go.

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course they throw me off of my game, but the trick is how long? How long am I going to let someone's bulls#^$ have a negative effect on my game? So I try and make it an instantaneous recovery.

Tamik228

Tamik228

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok ok.. Decided to spend a dollar instead of freerolling it. Came in with 7 levels of late registration to go. Made a conscious decision to play a little more aggressive and do some reraising at opportune spots etc. Actually was chip leader(currently 4 out of 90 left) I was dealt pocket Aces. Under the gun raised.. fold fold.. I 3 bet.. button raised.. both blinds and UTG folded.. I went all in.. button called. AA vs JQ offsuit. rainbow nothing flop.. runner runner J Q and he wins.. Even losing a decent pot to him I was still chip leader. As I write story NOW I am 8 of 81...

My question is.. How do you get back in the mindset? How do you recover? It's amazing to me the difference in how I was playing... and now. lol gonna go get a shot of Jack and sit out for 5 minute I think.

Tourney on break.. 10 of 76.. top 45 pay. ACR $300 GTD 6 - Max table.
Play tightly aggressive and success will come to you. No need to worry, everything will be fine. I support you my friend, good luck to you in the tournament.:icon_thum

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess the best way to get back with it is.. (in addition to walking away for a few minutes) have a 'bad beat' of your own. Doubled up against new chip leader SB vs BB.. I had pocket 7's he had pocket kings.big bet vs big bet.. low cards on flop.. all in and he followed all in.. KNEW I was dead.. 7 on the river and back to chip leader again.

Currently 5 of 10.. sweating it out.

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ended up 7th place for 12.75 biggest money so far.. lol

Dealt pocket 10s..

4 at table.. 3X BB bet from UTG with my pocket 10s.. fold fold BB called.

Flop was 2 6 8 rainbow.. He bet decent sized... I was thinking maybe he had top pair.. I went all in and he called. he had 6 8 offsuit. I know defend the BB but didn't think he would be Defending the BB against an UTG 3X bet with that.

Either way it was a good experience. Thanks for the responses on the thread! :)

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, no matter how good you are at poker, I think that everyone gets tilted. You are right that it all matters about how you deal with it.

Online tournaments: First it is best to get it out. So I might scream, then I make sure I fold every hand that's not 10s+. I try to do some breathing and think about the spots that got me there. More likely then not, I have given another player a bad beat so I remind my self that I have done the same thing. Once I gain focus, I get back into the game.

Live Tournaments: I smile a lot more after a bad beat, and put in both of my earbuds (I usually play with one in so I can hear). I do my calming, then get back to focus.

Cash: I sit out and move away from the PC/table. Calm down, then come back focused.

Everyone tilts, it's about how you deal with it that counts.

Congrats on your run and good luck to you in the future.

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3:40 AM .. Did 2 ACR freerolls after tourney.. came in 5th and 6th.. $12.75 plus .75 and .95 $14.45 minus the 1.10 tourney fee. Twas a good day.. Now time to crash before my wife wakes up and realizes I haven't been to bed yet. (praying dogs don't bark when I go downstairs)

onione6ix

onione6ix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your getting it in good . And your opponents are getting it in bad. Having to hit Runner , Runner to beat you . Isn't that the point of poker ? You did everything right.

Your fixated over the results of one hand. Look at poker as a lifetime. Not just one hand. You should be rooting for the Donkey with Queen Hi all in with 2 cards to come. Once that guy has the feeling he can never "Get There". Will that donkey continue to play poker?

Top 10 Games