Discipline

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Total posts
Awards
UA
What does discipline in poker really mean?

Discipline in poker means that you always follow the bankroll management system and never spend more than you can afford to spend. I think that's what discipline in poker means in the first place.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
I think probably being able to control your emotions is the first thing. Do not give in to the excitement in full. And, perhaps, the most difficult thing is to be able to treat equally not only victories, but also defeats. Then your state will be balanced, and this will only contribute to the suppression of rash mistakes, mistakes on emotions.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Total posts
Hi ShawanG. In my opinion discipline means everything in poker. Without it you will depend more on luck than skill. Like not being able to fold losing hands when you know you are beat. Betting to much when you have good hands. Like betting or calling out of position and then having to fold when another player raises the pot. It's just something you have to work on if you plan to be a winning player. GL

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Discipline - 50% Success
1. The core of the poker discipline is never to play poker drunk or under the influence of other substances.
2. You need to plan not only the total volume of hands that you want to play in a month or the number of hours spent on theory, but also more detailed moments.
3. Daily routine - Initially, it may seem that poker is freedom and you can play it any time you go, but this is far from the case. In reality, you will have to stick to an even stricter schedule than in any regular job.
4. You will have to spend a considerable amount of time behind the monitor screen and in an armchair, then the issue of organizing your workspace also comes to the fore.
5. Do not sit down at the tables if you are overcome by any negative emotions, even if they are not directly related to poker.
6. In order to perform at your best, you need to be completely focused on making the best decisions. It will be simply unrealistic to do this if there is noise, conversations and other distractions around you.

WeAreHot777

WeAreHot777

Enthusiast
Total posts
Hi,
Sincerely discipline is one of the most important thing in poker.
If you have discipline, then you can build your bankroll up, and you can play only these limits which you have permission.
If you will be a disciplined player, then you will see results most of players didn't respect discipline, and they starting to lose.
Sincerely, I will to start to work more in discipline to build a normal, and to keep the bankroll for long time time by time, and in distance the bankroll will going up if I'll have a discipline.

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Total posts
I agree with all that has been written in previous posts. Being disciplined means succeeding in not being a losing player. The first thing is to properly assess your own level and accordingly choose the appropriate level buy ins, entering stronger tournaments you get into a situation to play against much better players than yourself and a loss is guaranteed. The rest has already been written in previous comments.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Total posts
It something that is very difficult to maontaine for people like me...

Vlaad

Vlaad

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
Discipline is being able to stop playing once you are on tilt [emoji16]

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Total posts
Discipline is being able to stop playing once you are on tilt [emoji16]
More like not tilting at all. Just totally detach emotionally and financially. And play with only your mind not emotions. This is discipline.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
I think it means understanding that you can have bad luck and have coolers and that shouldn't affect your game. I see myself lacking discipline after getting a cooler and trying to get my money back at the spot. That can be really harmful and lead to a loss on tournaments and even to a stab on the bankroll. Try to stay always rational and always play the most optimal poker. Easier sais than done of course. My main tip would be to play as much as possible, that way the bad beats you have won't be as significant to you as when you play poker every other day.

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Total posts
For me, if you have discipline. You have less chance of tilting. Folding a good hand.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
I think that a disciplined player is a player who adheres to bankroll management, patiently waits for good situations, and keeps his emotions under control.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
knowing how to fold in correct situations. knowing how to control your emotions like when you get bad beat instead of going all in next hand and loosing all, wait for better odds to double up and gain your chips back plus more. also discipline yourself and mind to play the game right at the right times. if you can only play 2-3 tables effectively, discipline yourself to not play more than you can handle before loosing focus. also discipline your bankroll, if you are in a bad loosing streak don't force it to get it back the same day risking loosing more.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Being able to manage emotions after a bad beat, stay within bankroll, have patience, and the ability to fold big holdings when it’s not easy.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Discipline ... without a doubt is one of the keys to be successful in poker ... and there are many ways to interpret it ... I will tell you one ... when you play poker you must have your playing strategy clearly defined ... because if your strategy is a winner in the medium term ... and it generates profits even though we know that we will lose hands and good pots ... then we must be disciplined and stick to our strategy ... leaving aside our emotions...!

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
Discipline in poker i think is playing with a bankroll managment, second dont play with emotions, third one is always try to play Yours best " A game" and try dont make mistakes. Play every hand correctly. After session analyze your hardest spots using some ICM software.

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Total posts
For me it's :

1) Don't play on tilt / upset
2) Don't chase the luck (silly draws like inside straight)
3) Fold a hand if needed. Sometimes it's hard to fold Aces, Kings etc but you have to in order to be a winning player
4) Manage your bankroll right
5) Don't gamble

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Total posts
Good stuff!

Discipline is doing what you know is right, at all times. If you know it is wrong to call down an all-in bet on the river with your 4th pair, but you do it anyway, then you are not using discipline.

As everyone said, this is about bankroll, strategy, drinking while playing, and a myriad of skills we need to have at the tables. It is one thing to know what to do. It is another thing to do it when we are under pressure.

Good luck and God Bless.