Different studying methods?

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I follow 90/10 rule - playing 90% and studying 10% of time.

I have usually studied poker for 10 minutes every day. But then I realized that one of my biggest weaknesses is my fear of making mistakes, and that affects my game negatively.
I have tried to follow proper studying plans that some poker coaches tell us (like SplitSuit's weekly study plan). Nothing worked.

Yesterday I tried something different - I didn't study at all, and I had an extremely profitable day. Of course, I am not quitting studying, but I study only once per week, probably on Mondays. By studying everyday I am aware of possible mistakes, and it makes me anxious about making them, and that ruins my session. When I take some break from just learned theory stuff, I can process better newly gained information and add it more naturally to my poker arsenal.

What do you think about my new approach to the game? Tell me your methods of studying poker theory. Do you do something differently?

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Usually, I have almost no time to read books and study. But, of course, learning is a very important component for effective player progress. I play poker for about 10-12 hours a week and I try to improve my skills while playing.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Studying also includes any time you are spending at this site. Videos on YouTube also help. I don’t read as many books these days as the things I want help in is pretty specific and situational... so I’ve been really finding the hand analysis section of this site to be an amazing resource.

If you are going to read a book, I highly recommend Jared Tendler’s books on the psychological side of the game. He talks about learning theory. It’s important to understand what stage of knowledge acquisition you are in at any aspect of the game you are learning and work accordingly. If you are studying a lot, then chances are, the theory you are learning is somewhere between conscious incompetence and conscious competence. The ultimate goal of any learning is for it to get to unconscious competence... which is a fancy way of saying “instinctual” or even “automatic”. Only way to get there is to play more hands.

I’d also recommend that you focus on fewer aspects of your game in your learning so that you don’t think too much when you are playing. Having 2 or 3 things in focus is easier than when you are trying to juggle 10 or 15 ideas at once. Get really solid in one aspect of your game and then slowly build on that as that aspect moves towards unconscious competence.

As for fears of making mistakes... I think it’s important to just accept that you will make mistakes. We all do — we aren’t robots. Look at mistakes as learning opportunities, and not as a final word on your poker playing. I find that mistakes can be the greatest lessons in poker... and in life! So don’t be afraid of them - quite the opposite... welcome them! These mistakes and learning from them is part of the process of refining what you have in the unconscious competence area of your game.

Good luck at the tables.

Last edited:
TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Purchase different books that have strategies. Watch different situations on youtube. Look at the different questions people ask on here and see what people say. Try out different playing styles in small cash games and take notes. Ask poker friends to sit down with you and help you.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I follow 90/10 rule - playing 90% and studying 10% of time.

I have usually studied poker for 10 minutes every day. But then I realized that one of my biggest weaknesses is my fear of making mistakes, and that affects my game negatively.
I have tried to follow proper studying plans that some poker coaches tell us (like SplitSuit's weekly study plan). Nothing worked.

Yesterday I tried something different - I didn't study at all, and I had an extremely profitable day. Of course, I am not quitting studying, but I study only once per week, probably on Mondays. By studying everyday I am aware of possible mistakes, and it makes me anxious about making them, and that ruins my session. When I take some break from just learned theory stuff, I can process better newly gained information and add it more naturally to my poker arsenal.

What do you think about my new approach to the game? Tell me your methods of studying poker theory. Do you do something differently?
Be confident on your study, poker is a long term sport. If you are afraid about make mistakes, you maybe have a lot of questions about the game, so keep studying to have more answers about your questions. With time, your questions will decrease, so they will be there ever. Never be satisfied with a question without an answer but keep cool.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, learning poker is superior than the game itself. At least it was when I was just introduced to poker. Now training pales into insignificance.