developing a preflop 4 bet range

J

jonlama

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey ya'all, so I've been playing poker for a long time. I'm 41 now and I started when I was a teenager but, as much as I hate to admit it, I've still got some pretty fishy tendencies. All the basic math, calculating pot odds and equity and what not is pretty automatic but I know that I still have some huge leaks in my game. So recently I've made the decision to really put in the work in order to elevate my approach to the game a little. I'm sure I'm going to be coming up with lots of questions, but for now my question is this: how do you play the less than premium part of your 3 bet range, ie suited connectors, low/middle pairs and such, if you are in position and someone has 3 bet in front of you? Or what if you're not in position, there are still3 or 4 players to act behind you? How much of your 3 bet range do you just muck? What do you raise with and what do you just flat with? I realize that it's not just a simple question with a simple formula. Player tendencies, stack sizes, and all manner of other situational things need to be factored in. I'd just like to hear some opinions.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you play cash games or tournaments?

J

jonlama

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play live I play tournaments most of the time, frankly these situations don't come up that much in the poker rooms I play at. I do fairly well playing tourneys online too. I'm ITM often enough that I'm still playing off the first deposit I made several months ago. I'm not withdrawing with any kind of regularity though. I'm playing micro stakes cash online too. Generally speaking though, I'm much more comfortable playing tournaments.