Definition of bluffing hand

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello All,

Been doing a lot of reading but one thing I still haven’t managed to understand is what people mean when they say, as an example, A4s is my bluffing hand. Is this to do with GTO play as I understand how this works mathematically but wasn’t sure if I was missing something. I also understand the implied odds of A4 or 5s as has nut flush and disguised straight possibilities, which confused me a bit as it has some potential - or is that the whole point eg occasionally your GTO bluff wins big as a monster.

Enjoying learning on this forum, need to play more now!!!

T

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's for balancing. The non-premium hands you raise with to balance your raising range would be considered your bluffing hands.

An example would be if you want to have a 20% preflop raising range you would use the top 10% of hands and another 10% of hands that have good equity. Usually small pairs, suited connectors, and A5-A2s.
Hello All,

Been doing a lot of reading but one thing I still haven’t managed to understand is what people mean when they say, as an example, A4s is my bluffing hand. Is this to do with GTO play as I understand how this works mathematically but wasn’t sure if I was missing something. I also understand the implied odds of A4 or 5s as has nut flush and disguised straight possibilities, which confused me a bit as it has some potential - or is that the whole point eg occasionally your GTO bluff wins big as a monster.

Enjoying learning on this forum, need to play more now!!!

T

Last edited:
U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't understand exactly the question. Maybe they talk about "weak" hand. Can be part from polarized range. Top range with strong hands and bottom with weak hands, like A4s. Or this can be "4bet" bluff. Just the same thing. For "4bet-fold" the people use "bluff 4bet". For postflop this must be pretty clear. What is the "my bluffing hand". Again , can be just weak hand. Can be part from polarized range, balanced or not.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the reasons why A4s is called a bluffing hand: For instance when building 3-bet ranges you may have two types of ranges. One is linear. The other one is polar.

1.When you have linear range you usually 3-bet for value. When villain 4-bets you, you either call or 5-bet. Here you don't have bluffs.
2.When you have polar range in addition to value hands you also add some bluffing hands someting like A5s,A4s, small suited connectors. You call all other medium strength hands instead of 3-betting. When villain 4-bets, you continue with your strong hands and fold bluffs.

I hope this is helpful.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The non premium hands such as A 4, can have a slight advantage against premium ones. It depends on so many factors. Studying and playing more will let you discover more

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for all the help.

Great to have some different angles on it, all makes sense.

In response to UkoChebuko, I’ve read people literally saying “I use A4s as my bluffing hand” - as if they have one hand they use outside their range. Maybe I misunderstood.

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In response to UkoChebuko, I’ve read people literally saying “I use A4s as my bluffing hand” - as if they have one hand they use outside their range. Maybe I misunderstood.

It could mean it's their favourite hand to bluff with. Playing A4s as if they had AA.
When I started poker; I played Q9s as if they were aces.
It's a recreational thing ^^

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a friend, he say "I play AK like AA". This means 3bet and bet, bet, shove. I said to him "You can't do that, AK 16 combos, AA 6 combos". But he can't understand me. Even A4s and AA is a "bluff heavy range". Just don't listen to this people.
It's a recreational thing
Maybe it is...In any situation (board) you have different hands for bluff. The weakest ones. A4s can have a showdown value, better options. "A4s is my bluffing hand" means nothing to me.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands