Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all!

Right now, I feel like I am "card dead" at the Omaha table. A bit at the Hold'em table, too. How do we define this term? Is it simply not picking up "playable" hands often enough? Does being "card dead" also include your strong hands getting outdrawn often over the period of a week or even a month of sessions? Especially in Omaha where you need 3 cards from the board to win, etc. Thoughts?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
This is actually a nice question (y)
How do we define this term? Is it simply not picking up "playable" hands often enough?
The short answer - yes. A tight novice player who plays maybe 15% of the hands might find himself card dead more often than he likes. Then again a more seasoned player who knows how to go with the flow and exploit different opportunities could have a much wider range in certain situations without being reckless. In theory the seasoned player has more playable hands and therefore he is less card dead. In this sense being card dead means different things to different people.
Does being "card dead" also include your strong hands getting outdrawn often over the period of a week or even a month of sessions?
I would say no but other people might feel differently. Losing often with good cards is something I label as a 'losing streak' or a 'downswing'. Good cards are still good cards even if the end result is not what we hoped for.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is interesting...I would think that even a seasoned pro knows when he/she is "card dead." Like, they may be able to make certain moves in certain spots, but if they go a long time without playable hands for a typical range in the various positions at the table, I'd say even they would admit that they are card dead. No matter how good you are, the other players at the table (assuming they are thinking players) will start to notice what the pro is doing...?

And to your second point...I never thought of it that way! Playing good hands, flopping well, but still on the losing end should be considered a losing streak/downswing. Playing good hands and flopping terribly...hmmm. I know in Omaha, frequently you could flop the nuts and then get out-drawn. Like, flopping the nut straight with two to a suit on the board only having the turn either pair up or making someone the flush. Just unlucky I guess...