Defensive strategies in Holdem

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play lot of poker and I have studied a lot of strategies that are mostly offense related.

However, I would like to know if there are defensive strategies?Such as for instance to reduce the risk of emptying chip stacks and catching draws without having to call big bets.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is really nice that you are thinking about defense in the game of poker. When I read this, I thought to myself; "I must be defending instinctively and not know it".

You did send me searching and I was able to find a few sites, but they are targeting a position or variation of the game from a defensive viewpoint. Here are one or two of the sites I ran into:

Big blind theory In Cash Games Explained.

The ultimate Guide to Big Blind defense.

Do share if you get any good sites. You really got me thinking.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't fire the 3rd bullet if you sense your opponent is setting you up.
Play without testosterone.
Go all in in heads up occasionally with crap when your opponent calls on the button.

Danjwarburton

Danjwarburton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Game Theory Optimal play is the defensive strategy that makes you unexploitable, however this is unknown at the moment as to exactly how to play that!

It sounds like the best thing that would help you is to learn to hand read more accurately. By spending time breaking down connectivity of boards and handreading more accurately, you can save yourself chips when it looks like you are behind!

Nash Equilibrium charts exist for tournaments when you are shortstacked, but overall these are your best options!

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Defensive strategies simply depend on the opponent when you have a correct reading of your opponent you will know when to risk your stack or not, I do not believe in the defense of the blind or if you are in the position of botom or CO, I believe in what that you can know how your opponent plays and I also believe that as in any sport the best defense is the attack so being aggressive with intelligence and cunning more knowledge to your opponents is in most cases the best strategy to defend your stack in a tournament or your money at a cash table

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play lot of poker and I have studied a lot of strategies that are mostly offense related.

However, I would like to know if there are defensive strategies?Such as for instance to reduce the risk of emptying chip stacks and catching draws without having to call big bets.

Thank U 4 Posting

Pot control is a defensive strategy. We are trying to not give our villains the ability to bet so large we have to fold. Modern over betting strategies have reduced the effectiveness of this strategy.

Shoving all-in also a defensive strategy when expecting villain's to fold hands they would call standard bets with.

Checking in position to realize equity also a defensive strategy. It is different from pot control in that you feel you are behind but could improve to the best hand but villain is prone to check raising so you cannot C-bet effectively.

Limping can be used as a defensive tactic as well. If your limp freezes villains from raising it allows us to play a wider range of hands OOP when we have a significant post flop skill advantage.

Flop min betting can also be a defensive play if it freezes our villains.

Hope this helps
:):)

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Use standard strategy. I just read a post about how to play KK when a Ace hits on the flop. It is best to not be aggressive and maybe just bet 1/3 the pot and see who does what. If anyone calls, you could then assume you have middle pair and be prepaired to fold if you see any signs of aggression from opponent. Any pair should probably be played the same way. If you are super stacked and your other players at table are short stacked, you have a little more advantage to be more aggressive.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Generally defensive strategies will involved taking a passive action over an aggressive action. Checking when you could bet, calling when you could raise, and generally protecting your stack rather than trying to maximize the size of the pot.

This was popularized in tournaments a long time ago and dubbed 'pot control' because in tournaments survival and stack protection were often more important than going for maximum value (if it meant taking a highly volatile line).

A lot of it comes from planning and deciding how many streets you want to play for. This mini series will help with clarifying that concept.

Another thing that works is using smaller bet sizes (1/3, 1/4 even 1/5 of the pot) this will lead to smaller pot growth while still allowing you to keep the betting lead.

Between that and mixing in the occasional check with a strong hand so that you can comfortable call down (and not always be weak when you check) you'll be doing just fine when it comes to the defensively oriented strategies in poker :driver:

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Along with the great advice and tips posted.

Are there any more books, more demonstration videos along with the one posted, and pros that exemplify defense strategies that are successful in poker?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Along with the great advice and tips posted.

Are there any more books, more demonstration videos along with the one posted, and pros that exemplify defense strategies that are successful in poker?

Thank U 4 Responding.

Vanessa Selbst when she was crushing it, would use what she called aggressive checking.
If you can research some of here work there is a lot of good ideas on the value of defense.

Hope this helps
:):)

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes, absolutely there are defensive strategies.

Defensive strategies are largely aimed at early positions, while offensive strategies are more based on late position.

I would suggest searching Evan Jarvis' Triple threat videos on YouTube.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules