defending 3bets oop also 4bets ip and shoves guess? particularly sb vs bb scenarios

B

burnthesky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
any help tips advice anyone has with these situations much appreciated (talking cash games btw).
its a position and also scenario i struggle massively with, dealing with 3b pots oop is awkward as is and probably loses me money regardless of position but particularly there im clueless, as people in blinds 3b wide as hell/most alot least in games i play vs all late position opens which is fine when ip as i just call most of range almost always nutburgers too, but oop in sb i just stuck as say i most likely got best hand (as its headsup scenario so equity of certain hands should be good if that makes sense (like i dont think im good with lot of aces certain aces when i get action when i raise from an ep position theres lot of spaces players that can pick up defend stronger ones, so my top pairs are screwed and also if goes multiway vs few hands its dominated again more dramatically) but heads up more of my ax should be good once top pairs are made or even as high card value as everyone else folded there junk or marginal stuff and were headsup, so i feel like your value range increases massively like say i raised my norm range here mentally in my head my value range even once i get 3b (as people dont 3bet tight they really dont maybe was once case but its just not anymore) is 88+ to AA when i have them heads up mentally to me thats the nuts really all pockets to be fair i see as nuts in headsup scenario and from those positions if fullring ill fold lot small pockets from early seats but later it is stronger its equity is vs a range of random hands of opponents less there are less poss pockets that dominate mine to come along, if im sitting with akoff -ajs in this scenario after getting 3b heads up like that in this postion to me i know theres chance its the best hand currently quite large chunk as people 3ball sb light too (some, alot for me) but if i was to got 4bet it mentally to me thats bluff, my bluff as its not made hand and its behind anything i get action on (even if once all in got good chance vs there range (race) but yh i dont know how to approach this in part even though i know there over 3balling i fold alot as they have position and there abusing it and i feel like i should allow it cause if i begin 4betting im gonna be stacking off on lotta flips where no one wins longterm even if always got that 3-7%% ish edge cause well rakes a thing so longterm you either breakeven very very slightly profit (and it will be really volatile swingy as hell profit so bankroll needs to be bigger or risk of ruin increases) or you marginally lose longterm or always if rakes high (some places its as high as 7.5% rake)

anyway advice appreciated as say i 4bet that range pot even if know your behind if they shove as long as not deepstacked casue of pot odds you almost got to call off with everything cause of pot odds i did the math actually makes it seem like it dont even matter if you 4b with pure junk it has similar equity (not quite its worse but not hugely) as alot of the range you value 4b and learnt it poss isnt or is but marginally and some of it you know it really isnt but you know it does well the AKs as an example wrecked by few hands and got decent chance to call off vs alot of others.

yh advice be helpful on 4b 5b pots as its an area i actually dominated when i first started playing 2 years ago mainly as people folded to 3b 4bs more back then and gave action with far more narrow ranges (most of pool) too be honest not quite case now ive seen funky stuff that was never giving action years ago unless they were wild playersnow even seemingly not wild folk are doing it and its made me 3b less and 4b near never even with nuts near nuts unless oop and i see it clearly as being more profitable than calling and playing poker for streets at a shallower depth, basically im bad player that left lost a bit as to correct profitable counter strategy thats clearly in my head profitable either immediately or to set something up at later date or get action on other parts of range so indirectly increase ev of other hands even if that ones breakeven or loser as a play.

im stuck i thought about it and im stuck feel like if you have a deep! bankroll you can get away with and do lotta 4betting and shoving profitably more so than is typically done even by nutters, but when your in some respects trying to build a bankroll to climb up stakes and minimise your risk of ruin so employing a tight aggressive game post more strong value than pure bluffs or breakeven value hands (to curb the swings hopefully depending how tight loose you play postflop actually what you play pre dont matter much in single raised pots its marginal mistake playing too loose there).

rambling yh help someone anyone everyone ha.

thank you

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol this is a long post XD
i might have missed something but how i understand it you deal with the same problems i did, playing micro stakes cash games.

i have 2 different strategies for this scenario.
if i get 3bet and i am oop i look at stats if the 3bettor calls 4bets or if he 5bets.
if he doesnt call i 4bet-bluff 2.5x to defend and fold to a 5bet. if he does call i only 4bet for value 3x.
actually i only call oop with very strong hands to trap sometimes.

guess thats not optimal but it works pretty well, only very good aggressive players make it difficult for me with that strategy.
hope that helps!

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two things.
- Notes on players.
- What if your postflop game is better than the preflop?

B

burnthesky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
lol this is a long post XD
i might have missed something but how i understand it you deal with the same problems i did, playing micro stakes cash games.

i have 2 different strategies for this scenario.
if i get 3bet and i am oop i look at stats if the 3bettor calls 4bets or if he 5bets.
if he doesnt call i 4bet-bluff 2.5x to defend and fold to a 5bet. if he does call i only 4bet for value 3x.
actually i only call oop with very strong hands to trap sometimes.

guess thats not optimal but it works pretty well, only very good aggressive players make it difficult for me with that strategy.
hope that helps!

thanks man ill keep note of those things if go back to tracked site again, i still hate calling strong hands oop ha urgh i do it ip position alot well majority, yh maybe i jsut need to get better at playing pots oop i dont know ha.
cheers though ill keep them things in mind, had bad habit of having stats but not focusing on too many when had hud, think main ones i liked were, vpip, pfr, 3b, 3b steal,aggression frequency, wtsd my fave two actually ones i used the most where the agg frequency and wtsd meant you could pay mind to them things while multitabling and not miss too much

B

burnthesky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Two things.
- Notes on players.
- What if your postflop game is better than the preflop?

true should start making notes more, i used to make loads and loads when first started playing poker helped me learn loads actualy back then as to how people were thinking approaching certain hands spots.

thanks