Dangerous "two pairs"

ChipWinged

ChipWinged

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to talk about hand "Two pairs". I think it's a hand you should play very carefully. Really I call it "dangerous".
Note: I talk about situation when you have different two cards on hand and two different cards on board give you two pairs.
Obviously, this hand loses straight and more but the "main enemy" of hand is set. You never have nuts with two pairs - always you can get set from opponent.
Of course, you have fullhouse-draw but it's not often when you get out on turn or river.
I'm sure you need play tightly if you have two pairs. I lost twice with this hand to set.

What do you think about it?

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm usually playing two pair like a complete psycho. Raise, raise, re-raise, all-in! Otherwise, I do not know how.:D

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to talk about hand "Two pairs". I think it's a hand you should play very carefully. Really I call it "dangerous".
Note: I talk about situation when you have different two cards on hand and two different cards on board give you two pairs.
Obviously, this hand loses straight and more but the "main enemy" of hand is set. You never have nuts with two pairs - always you can get set from opponent.
Of course, you have fullhouse-draw but it's not often when you get out on turn or river.
I'm sure you need play tightly if you have two pairs. I lost twice with this hand to set.

What do you think about it?

you can't just think: ow I have two pairs and I go allin. There is often a big difference if you have top two pairs or just two bottom pairs, what cards are on board, who is your villain, what positions you both are. Most of you think that if you have hit something then you are always good. Poker is more complicated and you always have to consider more factors like your opponent's range and things I mentioned above.

ChipWinged

ChipWinged

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can't just think: ow I have two pairs and I go allin. There is often a big difference if you have top two pairs or just two bottom pairs, what cards are on board, who is your villain, what positions you both are. Most of you think that if you have hit something then you are always good. Poker is more complicated and you always have to consider more factors like your opponent's range and things I mentioned above.

Yes, I know about things you said. And I didn't say, two pairs is all-in. I attend that your style shouldn't be aggressive with confidence it's big hand. Just remember about potential set or better of opponent. And sure your position, stack and opponent's style are things you should take account.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I know about things you said. And I didn't say, two pairs is all-in. I attend that your style shouldn't be aggressive with confidence it's big hand. Just remember about potential set or better of opponent. And sure your position, stack and opponent's style are things you should take account.

that's why you play vs a range. You just count combinations of hands your villain can have and based on that you know if you can play your hand for value or you should be more careful.

shykarno

shykarno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, many times, I lost three with two pairs. I agree that this is a very dangerous hand)

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
and yet the winning hand on average in our lovely game is 2 pairs. Any hand can be beaten excepting ONLY a royal flush. Most of the time 2 prs is good

C

coolcukes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 pair

for me it all depends on what two pair I have. If I have an ACE and small kicker, I play tight but if I have a 10 or better I am aggressive. Not all-in but a good bet especially if the community cards are low. Any thoughts on this plan of attack

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two pair in live poker is a monster. Yes you do see bigger monsters but not really that often. Online two pair beats aa all the time. If I flop two pair I recognize now is a trap. I still can't fold because but become a calling station unless there a draw hand. Just crazy how often the weaker hand finishes as the best. My favorite is A rag against A premium. I guarantee the rag wins more often. That's online poker

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have pocket pair and another pair on board you must play as usual as if you have only one pocket pair.
Of course if you have different cards in your hand you must play more agressive but see how play your opponent - call or reraise.

Last edited:
MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing about 2 pair hands is that most of the time you will be playing hands that are connected in some way unless your in a position that plays a wide range of hands such as the button or blinds.

So if your playing a hand like QJ and hit a two pair, then there will be many hands that hit a straight draw and have good equity against your hand. Be careful on turns and rivers when another connected card comes out, as a straight can easily out-draw your two-pair.

I would be less worried about sets, depending on the villain they are played pretty staright forward, either the go nuts on the flop, or they check flop and go nuts on turn/river.

Lower two-pairs are especailly vunerable because they can easily be counterfeited the board pairing.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the question is about anything, there are a lot of situations when you are donked by the high pair and you get the second pair on a dry board and reraise on the turn or river.

ChipWinged

ChipWinged

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing about 2 pair hands is that most of the time you will be playing hands that are connected in some way unless your in a position that plays a wide range of hands such as the button or blinds.

So if your playing a hand like QJ and hit a two pair, then there will be many hands that hit a straight draw and have good equity against your hand. Be careful on turns and rivers when another connected card comes out, as a straight can easily out-draw your two-pair.

I would be less worried about sets, depending on the villain they are played pretty staright forward, either the go nuts on the flop, or they check flop and go nuts on turn/river.

Lower two-pairs are especailly vunerable because they can easily be counterfeited the board pairing.

Yes, you noticed about possibility to get opponent's straight (also flush) but also you can get two pairs higher than yours (it's not often situation but sure it can be). And if you see pair on board you haven't - think about full house.

It's too great if you can simply read opponent but be careful his slow play. I try to dodge this meeting and fold if I haven't two pairs, one is high.