Dan Harrington

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you learn anything by watching plays or reading Dan Harrington's book, since you play micro limits and poker has changed a lot from how you played when you wrote the books?

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think Dan Harrington plays too tight and it's old-school poker. Playing too tight is just fine when you play against fish or weak players. Dan Harrington's strategies are almost old and not useful nowadays. Poker is changed a lot and we also have to improve our skills. So I often read poker books that are published recently rather than reading old poker books.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes like chopping down a tree

Can you learn anything by watching plays or reading Dan Harrington's book, since you play micro limits and poker has changed a lot from how you played when you wrote the books?

You gotta learn if you wanna get super good at the game that dan phil doyles and a few others teach you a great lessons. The only way we would have gotten here or more accurately to the point where poker is, only would have happened if they shared their knowledge. Yes read harringtons book and its hard to find but watch every final table from the first wsop to the now and youll see how poker has evolved.

Austria7

Austria7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Dan Harrington's books are the absolute standard for poker tournaments. Of course, poker has changed over time and has also become a little looser. However, there are certain fundamentals in tournament poker that won't change. I would also read older poker books from other players and choose the best of all for my own style of play.

D

droozy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree - Harrington´s books have valuable informations, particularly for tournament poker. His ''M'' is, according to me, the best method how to evaluate your stack health at poker table during the tournament. I agree that he may play a little bit too tight but there are some stages/situations in tournament where it comes handy and it can save your tournament life. For the cash game, I would use Small Stakes Holdem by Miller, Treat Your Poker Like a Business by Dusty Schmidt etc.
I think Dan Harrington plays too tight and it's old-school poker. Playing too tight is just fine when you play against fish or weak players. Dan Harrington's strategies are almost old and not useful nowadays. Poker is changed a lot and we also have to improve our skills. So I often read poker books that are published recently rather than reading old poker books.

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the fundamentals remain the same and that's what the books I believe are for. Introducing those concepts and building a solid foundation. At the end, its the individual who can take the knowledge and apply it, and tweak it to their style.

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that useful information can be extracted from any book