Critical Leaks

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys.

What do you think are the most critical leaks that a poker player has to improve?

Some leaks might be more important than others in terms of EV.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends, where in his development he is. If he think, his hand improved and can be raised for value on the river, when he have A2 on A95-9-2, then he should start by improving his ability to read boards and understand hand rankings :)

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously very different for each player , but from playing with friends who are novices I'd say some of the following are critical ones :

a) failing to build the pot early with good hands, often in order not to 'scare' away other players
b) drawing when the pot odds/implied odds aren't there
c) folding on the flop too often
d) unnecessarily turning hands with showdown value into bluffs

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning to fold to a reraise in post flop action is hard to do when you have a decent hand but I have found that your opponent is not bluffing all that often and you have to learn how to let your hand go in these spots.

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a better question how does one find his/her leaks? I ave Holdem Manager software, but no idez how to use it - I see data, but how to interpet it? Is there a "novice" uide to read the poker data to find your leaks? I'm past VPIP and PFR. What should I learn next about my opponents? and what should I learned (and how) about my plays? (aksing for a friend)

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a better question how does one find his/her leaks? I ave Holdem Manager software, but no idez how to use it - I see data, but how to interpet it? Is there a "novice" uide to read the poker data to find your leaks? I'm past VPIP and PFR. What should I learn next about my opponents? and what should I learned (and how) about my plays? (aksing for a friend)
First you need a large volume of played hands for an analysis to be useful. VPIP/PFR and other stats converge to a number. Then if your numbers are very much out of "acceptable" range then you might want to revise the play you play. For example if your flop Cbet/ turn Cbet is something like 80/10 then it is obvious that you cbet a lot on the flop but give-up on the turn too much. This is an important leak. You may figure out other leaks by the amount of money lost on certai spots by filtering some stats. I don't know how to do it but you may google it.;)

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of my 2 biggest leak (from leakbuser) were:
Winning Ratio at Showdown - mean I go to showdown to often and loose. I nee dto look into folding when I'm not I beat (which is spot on the money, I chase a lot, or I'm Sticky")
Second leak was my SB position - I defent the right number of hands, but I fold to often right after the flop - I need to either pick better hands at SB (specially with significan rise), or create more bluffs from that spot on the flop, and then decide to continue or get out.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of my 2 biggest leak (from leakbuser) were:
Winning Ratio at Showdown - mean I go to showdown to often and loose. I nee dto look into folding when I'm not I beat (which is spot on the money, I chase a lot, or I'm Sticky")
Second leak was my SB position - I defent the right number of hands, but I fold to often right after the flop - I need to either pick better hands at SB (specially with significan rise), or create more bluffs from that spot on the flop, and then decide to continue or get out.
Yes, you are right. SB is the worst position at the table. You are always OOP. Even if you set mine chances of getting paid is low because you are OOP. Assuming 100BB stacks I think it is even correct to fold 88 on the SB facing an UTG open.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys.

What do you think are the most critical leaks that a poker player has to improve?

Even you understand and improve on all the reasonable smaller leaks you guys are discussing which is very important if you want to succeed,
The deposit button,rake and variance are still the most critical leaks every time I deposit a hundred or two a short while later I see this,
https://gyazo.com/b85740466a6afef6067821da79c27d22
Especially when you end up winning or losing like this calling preflop shoves and other types of coolers on flop and turn when you hold the nuts but are outdrawn constantly for example doing everything correctly in a hand does not always work and guarantee success.:eek:
91681c6dcabee67659067a837db4b8fb.png

Last edited:
hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, you are right. SB is the worst position at the table. You are always OOP. Even if you set mine chances of getting paid is low because you are OOP. Assuming 100BB stacks I think it is even correct to fold 88 on the SB facing an UTG open.

What's keeps be "sticky" to the SB is the pot odds. When there are 4 limpers, it cost you only half a BB for 6 BB (plus ante if its in a tourney). Almost any two cards will doo. My second problem is when I actually hit something on the flop , a pairs or draw, I keep betting or calling, and usually I'm paying for it. Definitely need to work on my SM range and decide if I'm willing to go all street on it, or gave up. Tight SB range preflop helps with those decisions :)

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys.

I don't think there are specific leaks that's are critical as "one size fits all" The critical leaks are the one YOU loosing as a player. Everyone has different tendencies - loos preflop range, chasing with one pair, chasing straights, etc. BUT, if there is one critical leak I find semi "consistent" is to have static preflop calling range (same calling range regardless if you are in early position or late. The second "universal" leak I think is lack of ability to fold a pocket pair regardless of the flop. Just my $.02

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Agree Hugh.
Today I was knocked out 3 times in 3 tournaments after calling correctly when shoved on. The correct decision is not necessarily going to win chips. When the suck out occurs it just tends to cause frustration, especially when the shovers are inexperienced newbies who are making incorrect plays.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Such leaks usually occur from the lack of a specific game plan, lack of analysis of your game and opponents.