Correct way to calculate odds?

F

firephreak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone this is my first official post =)

Ok so my question is this

If the pot is 100 the other player bets 50 and I call do I need 3 to 1 odds since im wagering 50 to win 150?
or 4 to 1 odd since im wagering 50 to win 150 plus that 50 ?

I'm not quite sure I've been operating under the assumption the 2nd method is correct.

Thank you anyone in advance =)

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Forget about the money. Money will come and go. Focus on the cards. If a card hasn't been on the table in while chances are it is coming. Also if hole cards havent won in a while chances are they will win.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Forget about the money. Money will come and go. Focus on the cards. If a card hasn't been on the table in while chances are it is coming. Also if hole cards havent won in a while chances are they will win.
Ignore this.

P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if you mean preflop or postflop

In your example(dont know if i do it right, but i always do it like that :) ) i would calculate it as followed

Pot odds 150/50 = 3:1 100/4(3+1 of you own bet) = 25%
Odds if you for example on a flush draw after the flop = 9 outs(2 in your hand, 2 on the table) times 4 = around 36% so a legit call in my eyes.
With no hit on the turn it would be around 18% (9 times 2%)

Preflop i would do what puzzlefish says

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Lol, and online poker is rigged too right? :p you cant think about poker like this if you want to be a winning player, gotta change the mindset haha cheers :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you prefer doing the ratio method, don't include your call into the pot. So, call $50 to win $150 is 3:1 odds.

If you prefer doing the percentage method, you do include your call. So, call $50 to win $200 = 25%.

I actually do a mix of both. I use the ratio for pot odds. I use the percentage method for card odds using the rule of 2/4 + 1, and then i convert that to the ratio method, which is fairly easy. Just calculate how much your outs percentage goes into 100, and then minus 1.

For example, let's say you have 9 outs on the flop. 9 * 2 = 18 + 1 = 19% to hit on the turn. You know that 20% goes into 100 5x, so 19% is going to just be slightly more than that. I estimate ~5.2x.

5.2 - 1 = 4.2:1 hand odds.

Honestly, to keep things simple, I'll round up/down when converting percentage to ratio. So, in the example above, I'd calculate for 20%. If you keep the following ratio method rule in mind:
  • Pot Odds > Hand Odds = +EV
you very rarely will have to be exact with your percentage-to-ratio conversions.

If you prefer the percentage method, the rule is:
  • Hand Odds > Pot Odds = +EV

F

firephreak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone I learned more than I thought I would asking that question. Its funny how I realize how little I actually know when other people start talking ahahah.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator