Continuation bet

D

DerlyGR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Example I have AK, preflop I bet strong one calls me and the flop comes 2 7 9 of different color. This is where I have my doubts, if I do not go it gives the feeling of a weak hand and my opponent takes the initiative and if I go strong I risk the opponent winning me with a mediocre pair having fattened the pot. I would like to know your way of making this play. Thanks

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Example I have AK, preflop I bet strong one calls me and the flop comes 2 7 9 of different color. This is where I have my doubts, if I do not go it gives the feeling of a weak hand and my opponent takes the initiative and if I go strong I risk the opponent winning me with a mediocre pair having fattened the pot. I would like to know your way of making this play. Thanks
I think with such a strong hand, you need to continue the aggression! We will be ahead of AQ AJ and even against a ready hand we have outs to gain!

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I agree, I think betting with all your range here is good. I prefer a 1/3 pot size continuation bet on these low boards. (basically a small bet)
I'll do that with TT+ AT+
But sometime's I'll mix in a check with this hand on this board depending on opponent.
Some opponents like to check down and not take initiative when you do not cbet. In this scenario I personally try to get my AK to showdown for free

florestaftw

florestaftw

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

He would try to see the turn with a continuation bet.

Austria7

Austria7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The crucial question is not which hand you raise preflop but which hand you represent. If you show strength preflop and also on the flop you represent a premium hand such as QQ + or AQ +. With an overpair you are of course favorite against every middle pair hit, with 2 overcards you might still be an underdog against an opponents pair on the flop, but on the turn and river it could change dramatically if you hit your top pair. And if the opponent has a weaker ace or a draw that does not work, you are favorite again.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In position I will typically C-bet AK on low ragged boards like this. It denies some equity, and sometimes we can also get called by worse and get a bit of value. Betting also mean, the opponent is more likely to check to me on the turn. So when I am behind to a weak pair, I can check back turn and get to see both cards for the price of a small flop bet. Out of position I am more likely to check and somewhat just give up, unless I have at least a backdoor flushdraw or face a very small bet.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you would kindly provide more details then the situation can be better understood and advised.

What type of game? What are the blinds? What is the effective stack size? What is your stack size? Who is in position? What were the bet sizings?

The more precise the information, the better the analysis can be. :)

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if I'm not wrong as a rule you should always make a continuation bet. Generally, if you make a strong bet and only receive one payout, it is because your opponent also has a hand similar to yours and hopes to connect something and with that flop on the table you should definitely bet. it is my opinion

G

Galette71

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me yes i make continuation bet ... with the flop O ... but it also depend on the type of opponant

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

As some have noted, it depends on a lot of factors. Yes, effective stacks and blinds etc. but also things like opponent play-style and your table image. Play-styles are overlooked too much I think. As with many situations in poker, many "plays" could be winning/correct. Another element to consider is disguising our play. Even if I like c-betting here (which I do), then I'll still not want to c-bet 100% of the time because I like to mix in other options to make me tougher to read and play against. Here are some potential "winning" plans I think. By "winning" I mean that some players might win consistently with this, but you or I might not because we may not have the same playstyle and likewise for anyone else.

Plan #1: An argument can be made for c-betting like half pot and representing "something." I say that in quotation marks because a logical opponent realizes that you miss this board more often than you hit. They may interpret your c-bet as an actual hand or as you applying pressure and knowing they will fight back less often than they give it up. These assessments are probably correct. The c-bet right here might work because you gain "another way to win" (they might fold) and you gain value against worse hands like draws or lower Ax hands. You are also charging them from seeing free cards if they are on a draw. This aggressive line I could see working with AK.

Plan #2: You could check this Flop and see what the opponent does. Ace-high is a hand with some showdown value, so showing "weakness" with a check when the cards are lower comes across as more straight-forward. Keep in mind that checking also keeps you flexible. You haven't shown a ton of strength yet, but you might represent something on the Turn. Say you float and the Turn is a high card like a King. You might bet to represent the King; not saying this less aggressive plan than plan #1 is worse, but you won't win right away by checking. This plan could be profitable by the right player.

Plan #3 Similar to plan #2, you realize that Ace-high might still be good, so you might bet smaller on the Flop. This sort of combines both plans #1 and #2. You have fold equity like #1 but you also aren't getting too carried away with a hand that loses to even a pair (similar to plan #2). Plan #3 is interesting, but you need the right play-style to make this work. You don't want everyone to call the flop bet with 100% of their range because the amount is so small and that would more-or-less nullify the fold equity we thought we had. It would just build the pot when we have a missed hand.

This is one thing I love about poker, there are many "winning" approaches. All winning poker approaches share certain winning elements in common, but some things are drastically different. I'd find which style works best for you and stick with it if it is winning.

p.s. One last note that the original question left out; what are the positions? Are you with AK on the BTN versus the SB or do we have AK in the CO versus an UTG player? Position matters a ton. Who has position over the other player and what does their seat "represent?" If the Flop is 279 rainbow (different colors), then this Flop looks good for the range of someone in the blinds. Someone in the Big Blind for instance might have hit any of those cards. This Flop is less likely to connect with say UTG. What is UTG holding here? Maybe A9 suited? 99 pocket pair? It is tough to come up with reasonable hands they would play here that does well on this Flop. Whatever "plan" you decide on (one of my three listed or any other winning plans out there), you should factor in table position and what "story" you are selling with your action(s).