Continuation Bet

kittykittykat

kittykittykat

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Say you have a middle pair. You raise, hoping to catch a set. The flop doesn't help you. Would you raise again, would you check or would you fold?

K

kball64

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
totally unacceptable question.

we need to know what position you were in, how many opponents there are, what the board was, etc.

kittykittykat

kittykittykat

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
totally unacceptable question.

we need to know what position you were in, how many opponents there are, what the board was, etc.
OK. I get your point, not enough information. I will change the question.
When would you use a continuation bet?

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Continuation Bet is one of the strongest weapons in poker to steal pot against an opponent only. If there is resistance play with caution on the turn. But I never apply a continuation bet against more than one opponent with a medium strength pair. Often we'll find something better ahead so I'd rather play with more caution and fold if I did not hit the flop.

K

kball64

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd c bet all day on J 4 2 Rainbow. I'd cbet A 6 3 too.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to checkraise, when the opponent is a c-betting known player.
They will call everything anyway with backdoor draws, overcards and so on (in freerolls)
but sometimes I c-bet, won't tell you when :p:icon_joke

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Continuation betting based on position

I personally prefer basing my cbets on what my position is after the flop. If I am in early position I will cbet low as in 1/2 the pot or lower. This gives the opponent an opportunity to fold or expose the strength of their hand. If I'm last to act and no one has raised then I would cbet a full pot to make them pay to see the turn or river. Either way, you don't want to be giving up too many free cards. It doesn't profit you in the long run.

UberRogue

UberRogue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really depends on the table.

Are there people behind me or in front?

How many in the pot?

If it is heads up and im in position and it is checked to me then 1/2 to 3/4 pot. This will give you an idea of where villian is on flop.

Heads up oop I would check it.

Some reason multiple people in the pot then a check fold.

I see no reason to put money in the pot with a mediocre hand. Let the bluffers have it and if they have top pair then dont give them anymore than you have to. Yes you might improve on turn and river but it will cost you when you could have saved some chips for a better chance.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
low par

depends on my stack to maintain cbet however if it goes check is quite easy for the opponent to see that my hand is not as strong right there before opening the raise is whether the stack that have permits to c-bet on the river in my opinion:jd4:

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
if I have a pair like 99..88..etc I would only make a continuation bet if I am playing against an opponent and if I am in a position ... otherwise I possibly fold the hand ...!

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on preflop action but for the most part with a pocket pair and being the last raiser preflop so I can c-bet I will bet out on any board to see the response against one opponent. Against multiple opponents I generally don't c-bet very much unless I've hit something or have decent over pair facing a not yet made but wet board. i.e two suited with straight possibilities.