Combating Random Ranges

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Part of what we do as poker players is try and determine the hand range of our opponents. We categorize players by how many hands they play (tighter players play fewer and generally better hands; looser players play more hands with a wider and generally more speculative hands), and as the hand progresses we try to narrow their range.

But sometimes we are up against players who seem to have a variable style and play a wide and seemingly random range.

My strategy in these situations (assuming I have to stay at the table with them) is to play a tighter range myself and pay close attention to position so that I can have position on them as much as possible.

What about you? How do you play against random ranges?

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely tend to tighten up too. I think I can have trouble post flop against those kinds of players so I really try and make sure I am making good hands. I know that is giving value away, but otherwise I tend to spew chips. So until I learn how to play better, I am not sure what to do different.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I play tight and watch the board play against my range instead.

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also tighten up,get position on them then raise the crap out of them whenever possible:elefant:

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Post flop play

Part of what we do as poker players is try and determine the hand range of our opponents. We categorize players by how many hands they play (tighter players play fewer and generally better hands; looser players play more hands with a wider and generally more speculative hands), and as the hand progresses we try to narrow their range.

But sometimes we are up against players who seem to have a variable style and play a wide and seemingly random range.

My strategy in these situations (assuming I have to stay at the table with them) is to play a tighter range myself and pay close attention to position so that I can have position on them as much as possible.

What about you? How do you play against random ranges?

Thanks for posting.

If you tighten up vs players who play random ranges you are missing equity.

The key it to be better at playing flop turn and river vs these players.
To do this we must be serious about taking detailed notes on this type of player's actions after the flop.

We also need to learn to how to use pot manipulation and learn to use over sized value and bluff bets.

Hope this helps
:):)

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips

To do this we must be serious about taking detailed notes on this type of player's actions after the flop.

We also need to learn to how to use pot manipulation and learn to use over sized value and bluff bets.

Thanks for taking time to respond. This is a totally different perspective that I hadn't really considered. Makes a lot of sense.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for posting.

:):)

if we want to play loose vs a guy who just click buttons and don't think about anything then we make a huge mistake. Because we will have to play many spots with him and to make them +ev we would have to bluff more. If someone doesn't care about ranges then he won't care about your range and he will always call you postflop. Unless you have info that he just fold when he doesn't hit. But in general if someone is loose, you want to play more tight and let them hang yourself by valuebetting him all day. You can't do that with your weaker part of range.

of course on higher limits you want to play as much as you can with recreational players because it's a big part of your winrate and at least you have more fold equity because money to lose is bigger. On lower limits playing more tight is the best adaptation.