Checking back the nuts or did I?

C

Chrispee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was playing live poker tournament. I had turned a straight in a crazy hand and ended up going heads up to the river. The river card completed any flushes that were out there.

Villian checked and I checked backed. Then the table ridiculed me for not betting my straight saying I had the nuts.

I explained that it wasn't the nuts as there is a possible flush and if I raised I figured then only thing that would call me would be that flush. Plus I didn't want to get shoved on and puke in my mouth.

Was I wrong ? I know I don't have how the whole hand played out but just want to make sure I didn't break any rules and that I wasn't wrong with what I said.

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with check/check on the river.
When the turn is one of my outs, I am betting (big) to win more chips, and win with my equity against the opponent on the river.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played fine . If you bet in that situation you leave yourself open to a check raise bluff that would be hard to call . They may have been saying your turn bet wasn't enough .

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Though you missed a good chance to win some more chips with your straight your play makes sense, especially in a tournament when you know you are not willing to call a re-raise.

I don’t think you will only get called by people that have the nuts. Maybe your opponent has a set and is as scared as you by the possible flush... by just checking you would miss this chance to win a whole stack :)

So sometimes in tourneys it might make sense to simply check and see if your hand is good. But in general you should bet with a hand as good as anstreicht to get the maximum value for your made hand.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell us how action went before turn. Also I check back when there is a chance for me to get blown off the hand. If he check jammed it would be an ugly spot.

C

Chrispee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tell us how action went before turn. Also I check back when there is a chance for me to get blown off the hand. If he check jammed it would be an ugly spot.
This was my thoughts as well. I'm a little busy on the details but there was like 7 limpers I raised with 78 suited from the co or button to like 7x the big blind and everyone came along. I forget the flop and turn action. Reason I wanted to ask as ppl we're giving me a hard time that I was colluding no or something.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing wrong with the check.

Perhaps they did not recognize that the flush was out there (since they called it the nuts) and thought you might be colluding by not betting against your opponent.

In many poker tournaments you would have been required to bet your nut hand if you did indeed have the nuts. (though as you said, you did not and were fine)

J

jaggafrig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I would play the same way if flush draw was possible and person was playing like they were waiting on draw--what was the flop?

C

Chrispee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I would play the same way if flush draw was possible and person was playing like they were waiting on draw--what was the flop?
I dont remember but I believe I was open ended and 2 suits.

T

Taijae88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the situation and your feeling for the hand. Remember, your overall goal is to maximize your profit when you have the best hand, and limit your loses when you are forced to play your hand. I have been overly aggressive on the river and your fear was the result of my hand, and it sucked because I had the chance to check and limit the damage.

My advice, go with your instincts, sometimes an unorthodox strategy is the best strategy.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I totally agree with the checking through the river as any raise would have likely been reraised by any mediocre flush draws forcing you to fold.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Others at the table would correct the person that said u had the nuts, so u probably had the nuts and did not know it. If you had an Ace in your hand and four of one suit were on the table, you may not have noticed your flush as it sounds u were very happy with your straight until you saw a possible flush.

DaFrank

DaFrank

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was playing live poker tournament. I had turned a straight in a crazy hand and ended up going heads up to the river. The river card completed any flushes that were out there.

Villian checked and I checked backed. Then the table ridiculed me for not betting my straight saying I had the nuts.

I explained that it wasn't the nuts as there is a possible flush and if I raised I figured then only thing that would call me would be that flush. Plus I didn't want to get shoved on and puke in my mouth.

Was I wrong ? I know I don't have how the whole hand played out but just want to make sure I didn't break any rules and that I wasn't wrong with what I said.

I would do the same!!!
I think that's what you are supposed to do..?

Others at the table would correct the person that said u had the nuts, so u probably had the nuts and did not know it. If you had an Ace in your hand and four of one suit were on the table, you may not have noticed your flush as it sounds u were very happy with your straight until you saw a possible flush.

Sometimes you just have to play what you think is right. Even if its not

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately in your message there is no sequence of betting, so that you can make a final conclusion. Check back in case of a possible flush is quite justified. In addition, you would hardly have received additional value from the villain due to a similar reason.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the situation.
But I often check the river, if the pot is already big and the opponent can have something beter.

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems to me you missed a chance to win more chips but on the other hand you also could have lost a lot more chips if he hit that flush. I see nothing wrong with the check-check.

M

mousebites

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you made the wrong move by checking but maybe the other player would not have budged if you made a small raise

syarbouh

syarbouh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did good checking if there was a flush

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely nothing wrong with the check. To the ones that criticize you, they'll donk bet the river and lose to that flush. You played it super smart and got value on other streets.

I

Index12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely nothing wrong with the check. To the ones that criticize you, they'll donk bet the river and lose to that flush. You played it super smart and got value on other streets.
Yeah, I would've checked myself. Although calling a bet is probably pretty close depending on the size.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hey
I would vote for check too.
Good job.
That was the right way to play because if your opponent would have reraised your bet, you might have ended up folding that.
There are players who like to slow play and check raise.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How can a straight be the nuts when there are three cards of the same color on the board? I would have shoved the straight on the turn when it was the nuts, especially with a flush draw on the board, but that's just me :) not implying you should have done the same.

EddMaster

EddMaster

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think it depends on your position in the tourney. If it were me and I was short stacked and deep in the tourney, the reality is I would have either 3/4 stack raise or push all in, as this would have probably been the best chance to stack up again (even though the board is potentially dangerous). If i was big stack, I’d play a little safer to try and keep my chips, so either a value bet or check pass it, but really it would depend on the pot size as well as how the opponent has been playing previously (I.e. understanding their tells or betting patterns).

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have the discipline, you could value bet the river and reevaluate if he shoves.

In any case, the tablemates who laughed at you for checking the nuts aren't the greatest players either. A str on a three suited board is not the nuts.