Check raise

S

Space635

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone;

Would you like to know in which situations you would use a check raise?

Sometimes I see it being used when you hit the flop hard, check a guy and then raise him, but he'll know you have a good hand and may not have much more action.

Alternatively, it is a good move if you think he is weak and you have a strong draw hand as it is difficult for anyone to call a check raise or even raise again. I believe it is more likely that a call from your check raise is more likely if he is a draw, and if he raises again, I would probably not insist on the hand.

Is it also a good idea to check raise on the river if you checked it all the time while betting, expecting him to bet on the river so you could either raise or raise him? The risk, of course, is that he checks and you could win a significantly smaller pot.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the villain, if you know he is a player who likes to call, it is a good idea to check raise.
Another example would be, if you have 33 in a 38A flop, and if you know that the villain has AX, it is profitable to check raise, to increase the pot and take all the villains out of the villain.
But against a good player, he plays differently.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone;

Would you like to know in which situations you would use a check raise?

Sometimes I see it being used when you hit the flop hard, check a guy and then raise him, but he'll know you have a good hand and may not have much more action.

Alternatively, it is a good move if you think he is weak and you have a strong draw hand as it is difficult for anyone to call a check raise or even raise again. I believe it is more likely that a call from your check raise is more likely if he is a draw, and if he raises again, I would probably not insist on the hand.

Is it also a good idea to check raise on the river if you checked it all the time while betting, expecting him to bet on the river so you could either raise or raise him? The risk, of course, is that he checks and you could win a significantly smaller pot.

When it comes to the river it has to do with whether or not you think they will call a double bet, and if they are more likely to bet themselves than to call a bet. This video explains

Regarding when to check raise flop, it can be done with bluffs when opponents c-bet too much, and for value when they c-bet narrow.

The key with check-raising is thinking ahead, and asking 'am I more likely to get value from my hand be playing it slow and letting them keep the lead or by taking the lead now'

This video series also helps nicely to explain it.

Cheers!

P

phiper

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I think you need to divide here way more on different situations.

What stacksizes are given?
What kind of game are you playing? Cash or tournament? If its a tournament, what blindstructure is given? Is it even a KO one? Are the antes in yet? Are you checkraising pre- or postflop? Do you have reads on th Villain?
How many players are left and how many players are getting payed? ICM- pressure given?

Im happy to give you an example for Cashgame.
Hero: 230BB
Villain: 190BB pretty aggressive, especially from the button

Villain raises 3x preflop from the button.
You call with Qc10c.

Flop: Kc Js 2c

Hero checks, Villain bets 1/2Pot

This would be a great Situation for me to checkraise.
There is quite a few reasons for it.

We need to remember that there was preflop just the standart raise of the Villain from the button. He has got a huge range from this position.

He might has just bluffed and folds to our checkraise. We can be happy as we won the pot with strong draws.

If he calls we still don't need to be scared, as we've got plenty of equity.

If he raises or even shoves all in he will have probaply a pretts strong hand (22, jj, kj).
To a shove i'd fold as both players are deepstacked and you risk about 2 starting stacks.
A raise can get called but be carefull and take a look for the pot odds.

P

PrAy4RiVeR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I got a winning flop I would bet moderately raise on turn, then raise higher on river. Normal play. This is only because check-raises are overplayed and everyone knows the game of it and likely to fold on high raises on the river.

Threshold2122

Threshold2122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes use the check raise to see where I am in a hand

If I have hit the flop or have a good draw but have two or three players to act behind me I may check and then I would raise to see if their trying a steal or pot building

All depends on the situation and all the usual variables, players, stack size, reads etc

Good luck out there

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on the strength of my hand and the playing style of my opponent. if he is aggressive he often bluffs on the flop and does not hesitate to call. it is a good strategy to apply to see if he is interested in this spot and to increase the size of the pot. with the winning hand against a good river player I prefer not to check. but if not and I know my opponent will probably bet if I check. it's a good way to get him more chips.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The short answer is that you have good reason to think your opponent will bet; and you want to give him the opportunity to do that before putting in your action.

For example, suppose a maniac has been betting the whole way with you calling him down with 88 on Q732. The river is an 8. He'll probably bet because he has the betting lead and he's hyper-aggro so it makes more sense to check-raise instead of betting out.

If you're considering a late street check-raise bluff, just make sure that you're credibly repping a hand and that your opponent is capable of folding. This is also not a play you want to over-use :)

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like betting when i'm on a nut draw, then if I hit ill check raise. mainly check, check raise all in and act like i'm bluffing. it works .