Check or not

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A majority of the time when i have an overpair out of position and I check to the villain the turn card makes their hand. How often do you check oop with a made hand like top pair top kicker? Especially if villain is loose aggro fishy type. Thanks

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Happens all the time

This actually happens to me often and it is super frustrating:mad:

I have to learn to be more aggressive and to what extent. I find that if I bet out most will fold and then I take down a very small pot with only SB & BB but if I don't bet out enough then 'villian' will check/call to the end and almost always they catch their card on the turn or the river.

I only wish this same strategy used by 'villian' worked for me but it never does:rolleyes:

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This actually happens to me often and it is super frustrating:mad:

I have to learn to be more aggressive and to what extent. I find that if I bet out most will fold and then I take down a very small pot with only SB & BB but if I don't bet out enough then 'villian' will check/call to the end and almost always they catch their card on the turn or the river.

I only wish this same strategy used by 'villian' worked for me but it never does:rolleyes:

i find that my c-bet almost always gets called from 1/2 to 3/4 pot. so it's useless at getting players off of a hand. it seems at times that no matter how i choose to play, an opposite approach should've been used.

F

fmrocchetti

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a matter of finding the balance between not bet big to scare, but not check having good hand as this exposes you to fall back a card to the table to the side of the villain, haha.

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would suggest to min-raise in this spot, this way it is more "attractive" for the Opponent to call, while you get value. Of Course, if you see that the turn and river Card is a scare Card for you, giving other Players the opportunity to have a stornger Hand than you have, you Need to consider having now the weaker Hand. Take into consideration also how this Player, who now after turn Card is firing at you, was playing pre-flop. Raise, call, re-raise? This way you can evaluate if the Barrel they are Shooting at you is a bluff that doesn't add up or if it is genuine. Additionally, Maybe you already have experience against this Player or have seen how he or she Plays his or her hands? Did you never see this Player bluff? Than it is likely that their raise on turn and river is not a bluff either.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just bet. He will call or raise anyway.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop inviting your opponents to get lucky by checking to them...

With an overpair after the flop you are very likely ahead. So bet...

Make them pay a price for chasing miracles. Not only will you start
winning more hands instantly because your opponent will fold, but you
will also be able to win bigger pots when they call and do not hit on the turn or river.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should definitely raise your aggression here.Are you playing only freerolls or?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A majority of the time when i have an overpair out of position and I check to the villain the turn card makes their hand. How often do you check oop with a made hand like top pair top kicker? Especially if villain is loose aggro fishy type. Thanks

Most often you want to bet these hands, bet for value, make chasers pay.

F

Fernet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its depends

the check is good depends on the board and the opponent, if you have good information about him to know how he acts with the top pair with the worst kicker or another low pair, it will depend on how to carry out your great hand to get the most value possible

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Are you the pre-flop aggressor? You should be betting.

Also, it's just not true that the "majority" of the time they improve on the turn. Simple mathematics dictate that the majority of the time they won't improve.

T

Tyler Finnimore

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your preflop aggressor I would almost always bet here if not I would try to look for a check raise and sometimes donk lead if I feel the player is bad