Change strategy? What is most important to keep in mind?

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have always thought it important to be able to adjust your strategy to other people at the table. Rigid preflop calling and raising has it's place, but maybe my thought there doesn't even have to be put into words.

But the most important concept in my mind is to start with a solid game. I've tried starting out passive aggressive to pick up some loose calls and draws while the blinds are low and then tightening up, but establishing yourself as a tight aggressor early does so much for the whole of the tourney.

D

Dark Army

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important thing to keep in mind is to not pigeon-hole yourself into one strategy regardless of how your opponents are playing and how they perceive you.

You have to adjust and know when to adjust.

You typically cannot play one strategy throughout an entire tournament anyway. If you start out tight, it's tough to play like that all the way to the final table. You'll usually get to a point where you need to open up your range. And when you get to the bubble you tighten up again unless you have a large stack where you can steal some easy pots when everyone else tightens up.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main thing is to tune your game under your opponent, the dynamics at the table, the stage of the tournament. All this is not easy.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
Its very important to change strategy.
Especially in MTT where the game will last 6-7 hours.
Or you will be bogged down losing your blinds waiting for premium hands, and when they do come you will lose out to a aggresive call by the table chip leader that maybe your knocked out with your AK.
Thanks
Manoj
Bluffzone68

ChipWinged

ChipWinged

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best variant is to have no strategy. I'll explain.It's obviously: if you have a strategy someone can read it. No strategy - "no problems". But don't hurry up! I don't encourage mindless game. I just say: don't pin to one strategy. Your game should be flexible: your opponent is aggressive? Use slow play. Is tight? You can steal a pot. Don't be fixed: "I am playing tightly, today I won't do bluff. Also, you see your position - so choose right game style for it. That's main thing to keep in mind.

D

Dark Army

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best variant is to have no strategy. I'll explain.It's obviously: if you have a strategy someone can read it. No strategy - "no problems". But don't hurry up! I don't encourage mindless game. I just say: don't pin to one strategy. Your game should be flexible: your opponent is aggressive? Use slow play. Is tight? You can steal a pot. Don't be fixed: "I am playing tightly, today I won't do bluff. Also, you see your position - so choose right game style for it. That's main thing to keep in mind.

I get what you're saying, but if you're always switching around from tight to loose depending upon table dynamics, how are your opponents going to view you?

It's likely they'll just think your a loose player. If they see you play tight and see you play loose, it's the same thing as just playing loose because loose players open with strong and weak cards.

One thing all players need to stop doing is acting static about their pre-flop decisions. It's not just a matter of being in X position with XX cards so I'm supposed to open or raise. These types of "Book moves" aren't always profitable moves even when we have good cards. We need to ask ourselves some questions?

If I open, how likely am I to win?
Will any of the guys in front or behind call?
If they do call, how many will call?
And what if they do call? How hard or easy will it be for me to win the pot?
Will I be able to bet the flop and make them fold?
Do I even want to c-bet this hand?
How often are they folding?
Will a check raise work?
How often are they check raising?
Am I going to get 3 bet?
Who's going to 3-bet me?
How often are they 3-betting?
If I do get 3-bet, do I want to 4-bet with this hand?
Do I want to jam all-in with this hand?

People aren't asking themselves these questions. They just statically open or 3-bet without thinking ahead. We want to put ourselves in profitable spots. The answers to questions like this will help us figure out if we have a legit shot at winning. If you don't think it's going to be profitable, don't play.

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get what you're saying, but if you're always switching around from tight to loose depending upon table dynamics, how are your opponents going to view you?

It's likely they'll just think your a loose player. If they see you play tight and see you play loose, it's the same thing as just playing loose because loose players open with strong and weak cards.

One thing all players need to stop doing is acting static about their pre-flop decisions. It's not just a matter of being in X position with XX cards so I'm supposed to open or raise. These types of "Book moves" aren't always profitable moves even when we have good cards. We need to ask ourselves some questions?

Will a check raise work?
Am I going to get 3 bet?
Who's going to 3-bet me?

People aren't asking themselves these questions. They just statically open or 3-bet without thinking ahead. We want to put ourselves in profitable spots. The answers to questions like this will help us figure out if we have a legit shot at winning. If you don't think it's going to be profitable, don't play.

I couldn't agree with that more. Asking yourself- more importantly being conscious of- all these questions is great advice.

That sounded like Dan Harrington talking.

ChipWinged

ChipWinged

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Will a check raise work?
Am I going to get 3 bet?
Who's going to 3-bet me?

Thanks, great answer, it can be like individual tutorial of strategy!:DI am seriously.

Sure, when I said that you should "have no strategy" I meant you should think: "What my action will be most unexpected?" And then you do it - that's your main strategy, I suppose.

But HOW can you answer on this question - this wuesique is harder. And your questions' list is perfect help for it.

If I open, how likely am I to win? - Really, how? And what do think these guys about your possible win?

Will any of the guys in front or behind call? - And when they called what they will think about your actions? Do inverse of it.

Sure, it can be more actual in live poker but it also could be helpful in online. If you don't use it you lose on long distance unfortunately. So be attention!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its kinda like what Bruce Lee used to say "be like water". Adjust to the specific villans at the table.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I start out playing suited connectors in late position and connectors and then when blinds go up and it is not suitable for that anymore then I thighten up my range. Then I will only open rasie with top notch holdings later in the tourney like pairs and AJ+ and AJs + because you don't want to get caught with nothing and get stung later in the tourney when it counts the most do you? I know for sure I don't. When it comes to bubble play I look to steal some pots if the situation is right and then when we get back into the money we get back to play the AJ+ and AJs+ ranges again because yes we don't want to get stung when we are on that final table when it counts the most now do we LOL? I know I don't.