Card dead vs calling station

D

Dhardy91

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everybody, my first post.

In the last few months ive tried to take poker a bit more seriously and can feel my game improving. However, this seemed to hit a brick wall last week as i found myself with a calling station to my left who had no problem going all in pre flop about 15 times in an hour.

Also the two best players at our local club were both to his left too.

My strategy was to not bluff and wait for the right cards in the right opportunity to double up against him, the best cards i managed in 2 hours were 77 and KQs which were both beaten by his. My thinking now was to loosen up my starting hands but aside from the 2 hands mentioned the best i had were A6s and a KJ which i felt compelled to fold as 4 players had called big raises whilst i was out of position.

Please help !
Thanks, Dan

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he's shoving all in often, I wouldn't be getting tempted to loosen up - I usually would wait to get a good hand, then get raises in and put them to the test. I would only mix in bluffs if you've seen them folding to aggression - if they are always calling bets, avoid bluffs.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seat change #1 Table change #2

Hi everybody, my first post.

In the last few months ive tried to take poker a bit more seriously and can feel my game improving. However, this seemed to hit a brick wall last week as i found myself with a calling station to my left who had no problem going all in pre flop about 15 times in an hour.

Also the two best players at our local club were both to his left too.

My strategy was to not bluff and wait for the right cards in the right opportunity to double up against him, the best cards i managed in 2 hours were 77 and KQs which were both beaten by his. My thinking now was to loosen up my starting hands but aside from the 2 hands mentioned the best i had were A6s and a KJ which i felt compelled to fold as 4 players had called big raises whilst i was out of position.

Please help !
Thanks, Dan

Thanks for posting.

You have to get out of that seat. The calling station has perfect position on you for being a calling station. Then to make it much much worse the best players at the club are his direct left? Effectively putting you vs good players out of position in bloated pots. Then you only get to play vs the calling station for 2hrs- 60 ish hands. If you do not run hot forget it you cannot win.

NL is position -position- position. Table selection- seat selection not good, don't play.
You will make so much more money being in the right game at the right time in the right seat than you ever will being your clubs greatest grinder.

To confirm my point you noticed where the two best players sat. That was no accident.

Hope this helps

:):)

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push is all you got. Still go for premium hands. If they don't come , you're screwed. Good luck.