Calling the Turn, Folding the River

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know I do, so wanted to ask if you all have a habit of calling the Turn card and folding the River card if you don't hit something to better your hand. I see players do that real often. In my opinion, that a good place to make a small bluff. It's not always a big bluff that will take the pot. About to get off onto something else, sorry. GL you all

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm instead of calling raising like a semi bluff.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean, this is a broad question that's very spot dependant - why are we calling turn? If we think we have the best hand, then it's going to have to be an awful river card for us to warrant the fold. If we missed a draw, we obviously find the fold to a river bet. I think alot of players call turn bets with 2nd pair or marginal top prs then when the turn card is a brick and 2nd pair remains 2nd pair - but if you are willing to call that turn bet, you need to ask yourself why are you calling and - more importantly - are you calling the river? If so, what river cards are you NOT calling a 3rd barrel to?? If you don't know the answers to these questions - you probably shouldn't be calling turn, because you don't have any idea what your next move is.

funkymoney

funkymoney

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call turn if I might have a straight draw. I can't say how many times I get it on the river but it's a good chance you get it and play according to your bankroll and game situation

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know I do, so wanted to ask if you all have a habit of calling the Turn card and folding the River card if you don't hit something to better your hand. I see players do that real often. In my opinion, that a good place to make a small bluff. It's not always a big bluff that will take the pot. About to get off onto something else, sorry. GL you all

Hey Gamer,

the answer to this will usually depend on the size of a bet you are facing on the turn

If 'the price is right' then by all means play on, but if the price is too expensive then don't

As some of the other posters have said, to give a quality response to this question we would need a bit more specific of an example. :angel:

L

Lolocomondo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually a 3bet raise in turn is vital and you may take the pot with bluff. This demands the right information from table and player's habits. I also do it.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do find that at times I let myself get distracted and call fold too often. I need to make sure I am staying focused and looking for those times I should be raising or folding the turn and then taking a more appropriate action on the river.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It seems to me like, you are asking, if its good to bluff the river, because people tend to overfold. Now first of all if we are trying to play GTO poker, we should always have the right mix of value and bluff, whenever we bet. So if we are trying to do that, we should always have some bluffs on the river but not to many.

Assuming we are not trying to play GTO, then the question is, do people overfold on the river, so that we should bluff more often than the GTO strategy to take advantage of that? And I will say, that this certainly depends on a lot of things. If the river is a complete brick, then a lot of players wont fold any made hand to a third barrel, so we should probably avoid bluffing rather than overbluffing.

However it also depends, what we are considering to bluff with. If we think, our opponent has a lot of busted draws, and we cant even beat those, it can make sense to make a smallish river bet as a bluff, just to get those busted draws to fold. Like maybe 40% of the pot. But we need to understand, that if we have A high and especially with a good kicker, then we actually beat busted draws, and if they are not folding made hands, then a river bet is absolutely terrible. So we should just check back and hope to win at showdown with our A high.

Of course opponent type will also matter a lot. Recreational players or "fish" are notorious for not folding anything. So unless we are trying to fold out specifically their busted draws, we should probably not try to bluff them on the river. This is one of the most common themes for learning players especially in online microstakes games. They want to run some fancy multistreet bluff, which they saw Tom Dwan or Phil Ivey do in a televised high stakes game. And then they tilt their balls off, when a fish call them down with bottom pair, because its just 2 dollars, and its the price of nothing :)

Folding in Poker