Calling with KK on bubble play

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your objective in the SnG?

Is it to win it or is it to make the money.

If its just to make the money, Fold..
If its to win it... All in baby,.

Simples

So what happens if our goal is to maximize our equity?

A

Aaronftw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very detailed stuff Zachvac, i dont quite understand it all yet, but ill get threw it. This depends on person to person these situations, you a safe player or a LAG. LAG's here instant call, safe option, fold and at worst big stack loses and short stack and him even out and youve still got a 2:1/3:1 lead on the field. Nice decision though

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The math says fold but I guess it comes down to how much of a gambler you are. Hold out and get in the money is the safe bet but myself I would have pushed. Possibly you are looking at the best hand you'll have for the rest of that tourney. I know I will get grief for this but I would chow down while supper's hot.

L

lewis010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a question. I had about 4000 chips, my opponent also had 4500 chips, and my other 2 opponents had 1300 chips or so. One of the short stacks went all in, big stack reraised all in, hoping to kick me off, I have KK. I ended up calling and winning the whole tournament but people say it was donk call because it's better to step aside and glide into itm. Does anyone have advice for this? This was single table sng with 4 people including myself. top 3 gets paid and we were down to 4 people. some say, i should step aside and let them fight. my friend told me "f--k them, take down the whole pot with KK, if you have no balls to call just because you're afraid of Aces, then u don't deserve to be a poker player" I don't know which advice is correct. Please list down your advice. Thank you.

personally i am not gonna fold kings preflop in a 9 players sit and go ... maybe it would be different the situation in a 180 sit and go or in a hugh mtt tournament like sunday million.. but in this case calling is the right choice, thats for sure...
donk call??' lol with the 2nd best preflop hand?? no wayyy!!!

motyennif

motyennif

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have 5 options:
1) If you fold and the short stack wins, you are in 1st place with 4 players remaining.
2) If you fold and the big stack wins, you are in 2nd place with 3 players remaining.
3) If you call and the short stack wins, you are in 3rd place with 4 players remaining.
4) If you call and the big stack wins, you end up in 3rd place.
5) If you call and win you are in 1st place with a massive chip lead with 3 players remaining.
I'm not saying which is the correct answer - what I am saying is the decision is up the individual, and since all individuals are different, there may not be a correct answer.
Regardless, to call is not a donk move.

D

dannyboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you can win chips win them, and a hand like kk is the hand to do it on, so i wouldnt b to worryed about what the other guys said man you made the right play.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see both sides of the argument.

Going out on the bubble has to be the worst thing that can happen a poker player.

Personally I woulda called.

Ya'd have to fancy your chances of beating at least one of them with KK.

I know it's not for certain but it is most likely.

If you just at least beat the short stack, you're ITM and if you just beat the big stack, you make a good profit on your stack and he's in a bad way.

IMHO, ya gotta make the call.

C

confuzd67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, the worst you could do if the big stack wins is come third and take that money. With KK I would definitely call this and hope to win the tourney from that stack.