Calling all in with a flush draw or open ended straight , right or wrong

K

Kaeder32

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
im curious to see oppinions on wether you should call and all in with equal stack on the flop and you have a flush draw or open ended straight. Let’s say you and your oppenent both have equal stacks

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is the effective stack size in relation to the pot size?

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like a bad idea to me...

You should probably be folding more often than you call...

It might seem mathematically correct because you will finish your draw in enough hands. But you must also consider the cases in which you make your hand and still lose because your opponent gets an even better hand in the end...

But you should definitively take a shot at making your hand against very lose players who might shove with very little.
In case of the flush draw I would want to have an A or K of that suit.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mediocre draws should be folded out when really priced out(takes into account bluffs).

If in an MTT and pot commited (priced in) then sure.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
im curious to see oppinions on wether you should call and all in with equal stack on the flop and you have a flush draw or open ended straight. Let’s say you and your oppenent both have equal stacks
If there's equity between odds and pot odds, it can be mathemacally profitable. But in tournaments we have analize about our suviving.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a huge difference between a raw Flush Draw or OESD and one with added equity in the form of a combo draw.

A combo draw could be something like a flush draw + 2 overcards to the flop, or a OESD + overcards, or Combo Flush + Gutshot etc.

If you are facing an All-in on the flop, you will likely always be up against 1 pair or better. So you want your draw to have at least 50% equity against a single pair, which many combo draws will have. Raw Flush and Straight draws without added outs will only have around 30%-35% equity, so unless you are getting very good odds on your call (opponent didnt have that much too shove) this should almost always be a fold imo.

If your estimated equity is above 50% you should always consider the call. Your no-pair hand is statistically ahead in these situations, and you should be even more inclined to do so if your drawing to the nuts.

Keep in mind, its always better to do the pushing, then doing the calling with draws.

When you do call, just remember, even the best combo draws are pretty much coin flips against made hands. Weak flush draws and OESD are around 35%.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's an incredibly generic question. I'll describe for you a situation I came across recently. NL5 AhAc on the button raises to 8bb, called on the BB and UTG positions. Flop Qh9h5h. Everybody is all in. Guess who called?

BB with 6h4h
UTG with JsTs

Guess the turn and river?

Turn Ad
River 8s

So it can go a number of ways. I wouldn't recommend going all in with a straight draw, especially if it is the lower straight. There are very specific circumstances when your straight will be good. Always ask yourself what your opponent may be going all in with.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some variables to consider. Do you have only a draw to a flush/straight or do you have other outs ? If you make it, would it be the nuts or could it be beaten by a higher flush/straight ? Did the other play push all-in first or was their all-in a response to earlier bets/raises ? If you have ONLY a flush draw or OESD, then you are only 35% to make your hand by the river. On top of that, you don't even know if you will be beat. You still need to consider that you will be beat by a full house/quads/better flush/straight flush. There is also the possibility that the other person is going all-in with a draw themselves. Considering all of these things, it's generally not a good idea to call unless you are getting proper pot odds, about 2 to 1. If you're willing to be aggressive, at least be the one who pushes with the draw so that you gain fold equity. An straight + flush combo draw changes this scenario since you are about 54% to make your hand by the river.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would really depend on the amount of money that is already in the pot. Without knowing I would generally say that I would fold as I would not be the favorite to win.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I would not call only because too much risk involved to double up and the reward only comes out a third of the time leaving two thirds against you.

Unless you are short stacked other than that too risky.

Full Flush Poker