Called by worse?

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Can i get called by worse?"
This is one of the most helpful questions i think i've ever asked myself through out the course of learning / playing / improving my game. It makes so much sense on many levels and really helps out with some of your decisions.

What do you guys think? Has it helped you make any sort of decisions or play style changes before?

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely. I had the exact same breakthrough recently as well! I feel like I find myself asking myself that most on the river the most, so I know when I should go for value on the river, or if I'm just gonna get raised and have to fold (or my opponent will just fold).

In reality you really should ask yourself with all your bets, "can I get worse hands to continue?" Or "can I get better hands to fold?" But yeah, for sure I agree with you totally

M

Mepper95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah. This is a sound way to approach your betting patterns. Definitely put reason behind every action you take!

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahhhh, "Can i get better hands to fold?"

Thank you for adding this to the thread. I find myself asking this question alot as well :) two very helpful perspectives.

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to, until I realized that 1/2 of the pot is on the river alone.
That's the money card and if I have a good hand, I will bet the river weather I think they will fold with less or not.

I don't want to be called with better, but that is another topic.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to, until I realized that 1/2 of the pot is on the river alone.
That's the money card and if I have a good hand, I will bet the river weather I think they will fold with less or not.

I don't want to be called with better, but that is another topic.

Thats what this is all about though...i agree the river card is the "money card" and generally the street of the most value to be had.

So if you have been the aggressor for the pot on all 3 streets and you have 2nd pair say, holding 98s - do you really think that betting on the river with 2nd pair would be good? Are you really getting called by worse there? - and if its possible you are - can you get the better hand to fold?

There are lots of tricky situations in this game, i think asking yourself these simple questions can reaaaalllly help your decisions.

For me, if i flop top 2 pair and i am heads up with the tightest nit player at the table and he leads out - and i raise his flop bet - and he doesnt take long to call me - i am probably going to slow down, surely he would put me on a strong hand, and if he puts money in KNOWING i have top 2...then is he really calling me with a worse hand? A fish is pretty much a no brainer but the tightest nit at your table? Changes things for sure.

Anyhow, i hope these simple questions and scenarios can help some folks just trying to get their game going :)

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
For sure it is an important question to ask.
Personally speaking when I first starting playing I didn't even consider what my opponent could have and only considered the strength of my own hand.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For sure it is an important question to ask.
Personally speaking when I first starting playing I didn't even consider what my opponent could have and only considered the strength of my own hand.

Same but as time went on it really started to help out my game to ask these things and try to figure my opponents out a little bit. Thats when you start winning without the best hand ;)

Y

Yoda_Priest_X_Napo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it is indeed very helpful, but it kinda becomes a 2nd nature after you become more experienced with the game, When this happens it just means you have free space to improve in all the other aspects of the game

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yeap very nice questions. I really like it when I extract thin value on the river.The matter here is that in order to enjoy the game at its fullest you should have some opponents to understand more than the basics.

I prefer the question ''Can I get better hands to fold?'' as kceow2981 mentioned above, simply because if you succeed ,and somehow you know your opponent's better folded hand, that means that you outplayed him.One of the main thrills why everyone plays poker!Needless to mention that if you have passed a successful bluff then it will be easier for you to extract more value with a good hand in the future plays :p

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed! Once some players see a bluff, they start calling you down no matter what. Its great to play with ppl like that

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always here pros ask the same and it has helped me so much in my game.

S

soillwill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had not even considered thinking this way when playing. It is counter intuitive when it comes to playing certain hands. I play a lot of middling hands but now I'll try adding this concept to my game.