Call 3 bet filter

C

CerealKiller78

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I made a filter in PT4 with called 3 bet. I was really astonished too see I lost there like 20 buy-ins in 100k hand, microstakes. I was thinking I called 3 bets too tight ( about 25%).... I need some advise here, if possible.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Behind each action there is a rationale for why we did it. On the micro, we always want to pull our opponent into the pot with a dominant hand, which means that when we are 3betted, and as a rule, our opponents on the micro do them with a polar range (AA, KK, 78s, A4s ...), then they are profitable or 4bet if they often bluff or 4bet / call premium to build stacks on later streets (safe boards) preflop.

C

CerealKiller78

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the players 3bet with 3-4% ranges, AA,KK,QQ,JJ,AK, AQs

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't really say unless you provide us with more information. Things to consider when calling a 3-bet are:

- Villain's range
- SPR
- Position
- Skill edge

If villain is opening too much call wider. If villain is opening not enough call tighter. If villain is playing a broken stack, 4-bet shoving becomes an option with more hands. If the effective stacks are very deep, calling with speculative hands like A5s and QJs becomes more profitable because of the implied odds of these hands. If you have position on villain you can call wider because you'll have an easier time realising equity and villain will have a harder time.

Now it could be that you're already doing everything stated above and you're losing money post-flop. Since I don't really know anything about your tendencies I can't really comment in that. 3-bet pots play different from 2-bet pots because ranges tend to be stronger and SPR is lower. If you feel like you're getting stuck on the right play a lot specifically study 3-bet pots a time and make it your primary focus when playing to.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Which means that when we are 3betted, and as a rule, our opponents on the micro do them with a polar range (AA, KK, 78s, A4s ...)

That is not even true. Maybe if you're facing a 3-bet from the BU or BB against a competent player they're 3-betting polarised. Every other position just plays a 3-bet or fold strategy with a linear range like they should. Even recreational players with a cold calling range generally cold call with the super marginal stuff like small pocket pairs, suited aces, and suited connectors so while they should probably polarise, they don't because they don't know what they're doing to begin with.

Sure A5s and A4s are 3-bets in most situations and it might look polar but it's not. Wheel aces just outperform A6s and A7s. When small suited connectors show up in a 3-bet range it's always at a low frequency and it's always for board coverage as an exploitative adjustment to a population that overplays on low connected boards in 3-bet pots.

C

CerealKiller78

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I have -170bb/100hands in calling 3 bets, which is not that bad.