Sash_XXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hello everyone!

how do you calculate your odds and outs? do you use tables when playing online? do you calculate the percentage chance, for example 25%, or do you convert it directly into 4 to 1?

do you calculate the percentage chance, for example 25%, or do you convert it directly into 4 to 1?

thanks for your answers =)

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone!

how do you calculate your odds and outs? do you use tables when playing online? do you calculate the percentage chance, for example 25%, or do you convert it directly into 4 to 1?

do you calculate the percentage chance, for example 25%, or do you convert it directly into 4 to 1?

thanks for your answers =)
how do you calculate your odds and outs?
Simplest way is with a hud - w/o a hud this is a pretty good guide I used to try to implement, but when you multi table without a hud its a lot more about what you have memorized vs what calculations you have time to make on the fly.

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Usually in my mind.. If the hand has potential and the odds are 3.5 - 4 to one and better, I continue to play with it :cool:

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
this is a great question because i have difficulty in this as well also i wanted to ask is it necessary to have a hud playing professional poker only doing at most 2 tables ?

722Wade722

722Wade722

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The rule of 4 and 2 is a quick way to calculate your outs and odds of hitting them. After the flop add up the number of cards for your outs and multiply by 4. For the river do the same but multiply by 2. For example: if you have 7 outs after the flop you have a 28% chance to hit the out. After the turn if the outs are still 7 you’d have a 14% chance to hit an out.

Last edited:
Sash_XXL

Sash_XXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
how do you calculate your odds and outs?
Simplest way is with a hud - w/o a hud this is a pretty good guide I used to try to implement, but when you multi table without a hud its a lot more about what you have memorized vs what calculations you have time to make on the fly.

what kind of HUD are you using?

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what kind of HUD are you using?
Your hud should be based on what rooms you play that support a particular hud. For me I use Drivehud and Pokertracker 4 depending on the roomI am playing on. But I stopped using one about a year ago, mostly because I decided to stick with microstakes and playing more like a rec player these days
this gives a decent explanation. Butcheck to see what is allowed on the sites you play, most of them offer a trial period so you can check em out without a commitment.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You got me thinking now. I have never thought of the actual process of doing this, but it's a mental process. Comes with experience I guess. However, it is mostly a mental reflex and it doesn't matter much because I don't think of it, I simply know it. It's more of an instinct based on numbers. Just keep playing and your brain will (should) figure it out by itself eventually.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well, on GG and PS, when you go all in, your chances of winning are automatically shown, and with experience, you yourself, quite accurately, can determine almost instantly, but with the odds of the bank there is generally simple mathematics

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
There are programms I thinjk , I do not use them , I make decisions according to my ionstict and feeling at the time . But , yes , its not enough , I should be doing the maths more and better .

Sash_XXL

Sash_XXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
does any of you use pokertracker 4 or Hold’em Manager ?? is it worth buying? Which one is better ?

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
does any of you use pokertracker 4? is it worth buying?

Not if you just play recreationally at low stakes.

Look at your hand history, watch how you played the hand, your mistakes are transparent and you'll learn more from that because you can see what your opponent was chasing, and how effective or ineffective your play was.

It's free!

Sash_XXL

Sash_XXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Not if you just play recreationally at low stakes.

Look at your hand history, watch how you played the hand, your mistakes are transparent and you'll learn more from that because you can see what your opponent was chasing, and how effective or ineffective your play was.

It's free!
good point. That's how I'm currently doing it, I thought the software might be able to help me a bit

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
good point. That's how I'm currently doing it, I thought the software might be able to help me a bit

My own view is that you have to be really keen to learn, as much of the information is hard to digest anyway.

I choose to just re-run the hands in the poker client, because I learn from it and don't aspire to be a master of the game.

Do you know for example when your 22 gets called, or you consider calling with it that it has poor realized equity?

Sure you do from playing it and despite having no aptitude for EV, -EV....and you didn't need any software

If you have time for studying the game, and taking it to the next level then don't let me influence you.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
does any of you use pokertracker 4 or Hold’em Manager ?? is it worth buying? Which one is better ?
I use pokertracker 4, and its definitely a good investment, if you are serious about online poker. Its true, that you can find your hand histories on the poker site or at least on most poker sites. But its much easier to find them in your own tracker, and the poker site typically only store for a limited amount of time like a month.

You can also use a database to search for leaks (especially in cash games) and to see, how you are doing in different types of games. Maybe you win in tournaments but lose in cash games, and then you can decide to focus on tournaments. And finally you also get a HUD, which is a whole story of its own. But if you just want to be a weekend warrier and have some fun playing a tournament here and there, and dont want to spend to much time studying and improving, then you dont need a tracker.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator