the c/r bluff or float then bet bluff?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you think villain is bluffing, and you want to play back and bluff his bluff, do you prefer to just raise his bet or would you prefer to float and then lead out with a bet on the next street?

I find that bluffing works better when I flat call the flop and then lead out the turn with a decent but not huge bet on a scary board. And it's more likely that villain is bluffing if he was betting with position.

Check raising doesn't work too well for me. Because if I get called, villain usually has something, then I need to put in a larger bet on the turn or give up and get chased off the pot.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Rebluffing is dumb, at least find some hands in his range he can fold.
2) Since you're posting in the learning poker section, I'd say leave bluffs to a minimum (semi-bluff if you have to, but pure bluffs are rarely super profitable).
3) I'd much rather check/raise than check/call & donk the turn. Its pretty rare that scary turn cards hit often enough to make this profitable.

KINGSIN

KINGSIN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When on a pure bluff, position is important. As you've already learned, its a hard bluff to ck raise someone, and have to lead into them again after they call. I agree you should keep pure bluffs to a minimum, Ive heard 1 per 1.5 hr of play is about right.

Now to the flat call out of position on the flop and bet when the scare card does hit, i would only do this if
1. my opp saw me ck call on a draw, bet when i made the draw-and saw my hand at showdown.
2. the villain is paying close attention, to the table action(this would be an observant good player)
3. the villain always bets when ck to him on the flop
4. i have something in case a scare card doesn't come, back door strait or flushes, one over card to board, maybe even 2unders to top card(so opp doesn't have top at least i could beat mid pair)