Building Ranges Help.

T

ThePandalorian

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
New to the site and posted this question earlier in the wrong thread... whoops.

Anyway, I really want to improve my game and the unanimous answer I keep reading is to start thinking in ranges. I understand the concept of ranges but I'm having a real hard time figuring out how to study it. I have Equilab so I have the tools but I could use some direction on how to get started with actually studying it on my own.

I look forward to hearing back from you all. Thanks guys.

pokergopher

pokergopher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Anyway, I really want to improve my game and the unanimous answer I keep reading is to start thinking in ranges. I understand the concept of ranges but I'm having a real hard time figuring out how to study it. I have Equilab so I have the tools but I could use some direction on how to get started with actually studying it on my own.

I use FlopZilla and PokerTracker combined. Depending on the situation I look at VPIP,raise first in, and 3bet. Take those percentages and use them in FlopZilla to create a range of hands. Do this often enough and you will get familiar with ranges enough that you won't need the software. You'll just know the range.

Hope this helps,

Pokergopher

M

MikaBrozovic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Experience helps build. Just testing if I can reply #newmember

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't know how much you have played but understanding VPIP and know the statistic that how you much you have it in each position helps you understanding the ranges what you should play. Also in many coaching sites have ready ranges to each position, but normaly you have to pay for those.

S

StepUp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Figuring your opponents ranges needs a lot of work on hand reviews and histories this will help you first to know what kind of players you are facing and seondly to better situate your hand in spots where you are involved. So focus on what hands they are playing and in what positions they playe these hands and once you have collected enough informations you will be able to adjust your play according to the already built ranges an you will make better decisionsand win more hands.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank U 4 Posting.

Ok so the basic way to start studying it is to start with one situation.

Easiest situation to start with is when we are in POS say on the BTN.

We begin with our villain's range
An MP player raises. Folds to us.

We naturally range this villain from the first time we ever play poker. How?
We always think does V have AA or KK- QQ or JJ or AK or AQ or 44 or 87 suited or A2 suited etc etc.

That is thinking in ranges. We do not even have to know the villain to know that an open raise fits a generic range such as the above.

So we 3 bet and the villain calls.

We now estimate our villain's new most likely narrower range.

So now villain may or may not fold small pairs and weak aces and unsuited connectors. We also estimate that villain would 4 bet AA KK AK so we take those hands out of villain's range.

We just did our first range adjustment. So what you need to study is gathering data so that you can refine ranges. Data such as what does villain do with their range of hands in 3 bet pots for instance.

What hands reraise, what hands call?

We continue to range refine on each street. Using the board and our villain's actions to define their range by the river.

A quick way to learn to do this is to look at hand review videos and think about what other hands each player would play in a similar manner on each street.

Also great if you can find a sweat along type video then pause it after the player not displaying their hand acts and list out a group of hands that player could have and why they could have it. Do that for every action and then see what the cards were.

Ok that is the very basics.

Hope this helps
:):)