Building Bank Roll .. helppppppp

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I made a $50 in September and had over $1k profit in January, playing rings pretty much exclusively.

I started at $.01/$.02 6-max games. I made $20, then I'd lose $20, then I'd make $20, then lose it. I figured out that I was getting complacent when I was up $20.

What turned things around for me was getting PokerTracker. It made me accountable for my actions, and I hated having bad stats on my permanent record.

I learned a lot along the way, but starting small and giving yourself some sort of accountability is essential.
I also had a "no alcohol" policy at the time. I was really anal about doing it properly.

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know why so many people are recommending that you start at the 1.25 sngs!! thats 25% rake and its really gonna effect your ROI.

I make it a rule to never start off with <$100 this way ur rolled for up to $4 sngs and up to .10c BB cash games, this is using chris fergusons quite (IMO anyways) safe bank roll strategy, just type it in the search and you'll find more info on this.

Ive been using his way with a couple of minor adjustments i.e. he says never to play an mtt for >2% of your total roll, with my $100 starting BR on FT this would have meant i could only play $2 MTT's but i played a lot of the $3 KO tournys on full tilt because they are so damn soft, even if you dont place itm your pretty much guaranteed to knockout a few people to make that buck back that you've gone over the $2 BR rule.

Just my 2 cents worth, take it or leave it, i dont know how much you understand hold em at the min but another piece i'll give you is once your comfortable with hold em learn to play PL omaha, there's 6 max 2c tables on stars that are soooo soft and beatable its unbelievable, i used mainly these to build my roll on stars.

GL in the roll building, it's a graft but you'll get no better job satisfaction when you manage to do it, apart from curing cancer or stopping the african AIDS problem, that'd probably be better :)

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha , most of what i just posted has been said already, sorry, but it at least emphasises the ferguson br rules, they really work and if you follow it you'll neer go broke, i read the first few and then couldnt help myself lol, also, REALLY don't listen to the person telling you to build up 100k of play money first, thats absolutely pointless and is about as useful as tracing paper thin bog roll :)

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DEFINITELY STAY AWAY FROM CASH TABLES!

Don't listen to him either, cash tables are the bread and butter of poker, unless your some jedi guru who can play 20 sngs at once, but thats stressful!! cash games on the other hand you can quite easily play 2 or 3 tables of FR online and theyre an awesome BR builder, specially the lower donk filled limits, just nut-peddle and set mine they're asses and they'll pay you everytime.

N

NewHill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Free is Free

I'd say play small sit n' go's and multiplayer cheap tournaments.But really take advantage of the freerolls the sites offer.Cause if you can't get far in a freeroll then you might as well take out fifty bucks and pull out a lighter.Also try some of the very low limit games like .01/.02 and then work into .05/.10 and on and on.Good Luck!

orangecat

orangecat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Building a bankroll is pretty easy. Keeping one is the hard part. Playing over my head has been my biggest stumbling block.

Do some searching and find a money management plan that you like then stick to it.

This is so the truth. I have been playing for years. I have one big touny's, Won 100= dollar sitn goes but always it ends up in the loss of my bankroll with a bad streak. It is very hard to go down in buy ins once youve played in the bigger games. Bankroll management is the key to consistant winning for anybody period.

H

hurricanebezy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't seem to keep $50 in my account. Seems like everytime I put $50 in, it's gone in 1 day. I think I should just start playing $50 buyins...

PopeNegro

PopeNegro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best advice anyone can give you is: USE BANKROLL MANAGEMENT!!!!11!

Never use more than 5% of your bankroll in any game, 3% in MTTs. It will seem like a grind, and it is, but you will understand the game better working your way up, and minimize your chance of ruin.

Vvz_VIXEN_zvV

Vvz_VIXEN_zvV

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
*~THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP~*

Hey All :dancing2:
I just wanna take the time to thank EVERYONE for their advice. Am still working with this bank roll 50$... a few times i got crazy after playing the 1.10 sng's at Ultimatebet .. lots of donkeys down there..GRRRR.. so i went to 2.10 and won a few.. then went up to 5$ :stupid: <like a dummy> and lost .. went on TiLT :mad: and tried again at 5.$ got booby prize..lol (3rd) so i think i will go back down to the 2.10 ones... for now.. oh in reference to the "play money building" lol i did that for a yr on UB b4 i ever deposited.. have 5 mill play chippies.. :rolleyes: lol USELESS.. but i did have lots of practice .. Thanks again everyone.. if your in UB look me up. ;) hope to see u at the tables!!! GL and Good Skill :p

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play low level sit and gos with $50.00. Also supplement those with forum freerolls and mini buyin mtts. Grind it out until you are up to $200.00 and then you can move into ring games.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't seem to keep $50 in my account. Seems like everytime I put $50 in, it's gone in 1 day. I think I should just start playing $50 buyins...
Um...unless you have a lot of money and have no problem redepositing any into your poker account(s), I suggest you look up bankroll management.

Also, I dont see how playing $50 games is going to help if you're depositing and losing the same amount. If anything, you'll probably lose it faster. No reason why you shouldn't be able to build a BR with $50. Play $1-$2 SNGs, $1 MTTs and you'll be on your way. Sometimes slowly, but surely.

Again, look up BRM.

Vvz_VIXEN_zvV

Vvz_VIXEN_zvV

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
FInally A Tourney Win For Me

Hey there all :wavey: ,

Well last night was a GREAT night for me, i played in a 2,000 K Guarantee 3.50 rebuy NL Holdem tourney at UB, consisted of about 200 players after alternates were seated n such. I did really well, played tight as hell though LOL. i was just trying to get to the money it payed out to 20th place, 22.00$. Seemed like a lifetime:slug: , to get past the bubble, oh did i mention at that time i was in last..:banghead: .
well it came down to me and the next to last person, :boxing:
I TOOK HIM OUT.. omg.. woot woot ..LOL next thing i know, go from last , to FT BABY, :star: !!! well, to kill the suspense, i placed 4th, winning $189.72 !! i know that might not seem like much to alot of people, but for me , my first big online win.. ITS GREAT!! Dont, worrry am not going to run out :flybye: and play big tourneys, am still gunna play small ones.

Thanks again for taking the time to Read this .. and thanks for everyones advise ..

GL @ the tables, hope to see you there .. GL and Good Skill,
Vixen:p

M

MuNaH

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys.... the key in this chapter is that you never , and I mean never have to put more than 5% of your BR in play !!! because if you less you risk better for your game !!, and trust me , you'll get easily over 20 o 30% more than the Br you started !!! ... bye bye guys , and good luck at the tables !!

Nick.

E

Easygoer64

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you should practice on the free games until you feel confident, then I would suggest sit and go's if you make some money you might want to try a multi-table tournament, bodog has some specifically designated for beginners at their site.

W

wicked663

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats!!!

Hey there all :wavey: ,

Well last night was a GREAT night for me, i played in a 2,000 K Guarantee 3.50 rebuy NL Holdem tourney at UB, consisted of about 200 players after alternates were seated n such. I did really well, played tight as hell though LOL. i was just trying to get to the money it payed out to 20th place, 22.00$. Seemed like a lifetime:slug: , to get past the bubble, oh did i mention at that time i was in last..:banghead: .
well it came down to me and the next to last person, :boxing:
I TOOK HIM OUT.. omg.. woot woot ..LOL next thing i know, go from last , to FT BABY, :star: !!! well, to kill the suspense, i placed 4th, winning $189.72 !! i know that might not seem like much to alot of people, but for me , my first big online win.. ITS GREAT!! Dont, worrry am not going to run out :flybye: and play big tourneys, am still gunna play small ones.

Thanks again for taking the time to Read this .. and thanks for everyones advise ..

GL @ the tables, hope to see you there .. GL and Good Skill,
Vixen:p

Wow...what a great finish! Sounds like you played with a lot of discipline, good for you. Definitely a nice payout for the money invested. I always seem to make final table when I am short around the bubble too. I think if you show patience when you are card dead you get a oppurtunity to capitalize on the good hands later in the tourney.

Congrats again...I hope you win the next one!

G

GrantGreen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started my BR by playing the freerolls on Prima. Got it up to $50, then started putting it in sites and getting deposit bonuses. But I would clear those bonuses by playing limit holdem. NL can be a brutal game, and it was much "safer" to get used to the situations of the game -playing limit.

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I first started on UB on the $$ tables I searched around until I found the game that was most profitable for me. There is quite a difference in play at some of the different stakes at UB. And there seems to be pockets of craziness as you move up the stakes.

It can be more profitable playing more of the lower stake tables at one time than putting a good chunk of your BR into one SnG or Tourney.

Read up on Bankroll Management!

J

Julio1305

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
smallest sit n go's
i think that
if play the highest, u will lose all ur money faster

P

pokerjoker1

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost my bankroll 2 times beceause of my Limits. I should play 0.5 - 0.10. Tried 1 - 2 . That was my end ;-)
Now i only play tournaments , 1$. Is much better for my bankroll ;-)

pandabear77

pandabear77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thankyou for all the good advice! im tring to build a bankroll too,on stars and tilt.on stars i have 8.40 and on tilt i have 5.35 not much but its a start.

mirmidwnas

mirmidwnas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should try the small SNG's and JUST avoid ring games...You should build up a reasonable bankroll in a poker room first before moving on the tables...

The psychological factor of knowing that there are enough money in your wallet,will surely help you play without anxiety...Playing desperately,with the notion that at any moment,sooner or later you could lose all your money,never permitted anyone to go much far....

B

blackknite123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try to avoid cash games. sngs and tourneys are a pain in the ass to purely play in but if youre good at them then youll be successful and can move onto cash games. you should read fergusons strategies when he was doing the challenge. i use some, not all of the concepts and it helped for when i had money online

M

McMilo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned the hard way, but not the HARD way... I mean I could easily have lost a whole lot of money. I started out with freerolls exclusively where I learned ALOT! Everything from terminology to how to handle a bad beat like a lady. Took me months, but then I won $3 in a freeroll. After that I hit my first $.50/.05 10 person SNG. Won that, and stuck with the freerolls and the low SNGs. To make a long story short, I earned $50.00 and thought I should try out the Elimination Black Jack tables... Big mistake for me. HUGE! I have to laugh now, but I lost my first hard-earned $50 at those tables in about 5 minutes. It wasn't the money itself, but I didn't want to have to deposit in order to play my precious SNGs, and I definitely didn't want to have to earn it all back through those brutal freerolls. Well, I'm back up above $100 and sticking to my small SNGs, sometimes hitting as high as a $5 tourney, but I stay away from the tables (haven't learned how to survive the swings yet), and keep enjoying the little gains to my account.

only advice: if you feel you absolutely MUST try Elimination Blac Jack, stick to the $1 SNGs, perhaps venture onto the $SNGs, but stay far, far, away from the black jack tables. Better yet - Just stikc with Poker. LOL