Borderline trouble hand in poker, AQ?

T

thomasguy3419

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone. NLHE 6 Max ZOOM cash game on pokerstars.
Is AQ a big leak in game by losing to AK and KK often?
How should I play AQ?
Should I play AQ the exact same way as AK by raising/re-raising from any position or should I fold AQ to any raise/re-raise preflop?
Should I fold AQ in certain positions?

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AQ is totally different hand..
if I have bet and raise in front of me AQ is easy fold.. AK is call or allin.

T

thomasguy3419

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So fold AQ to 3-bet and call 3-bet with AK?
What should I do with AQ facing a 2-bet, should I call or 3-bet?

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Your question is a bit oversimplified to get an exact and precise answer. For example, ill simplify it too btw, AQ is a completely different hand when you have it on EP opposed to when you have it on BTN or on blinds, also it is a completely different story if you faced a 3bet from blinds when you opened from EP or when you opened from BTN...

Ill strongly recommend reading donkr articles on 3betting, its a huge preflop eye opener, and kinda was game changer for me when it comes to preflop game...

B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"How should I play AQ?"

In position, you can do absolutely what you want with AQ pre-flop. It's a great hand in position.

Out of position you should try to win pre flop by 3-betting/4-betting as a bluff (and it's a great bluff card, you block AA, QQ, AK combos). If your opponent isn't folding often to a 3-bet in position, you should look more into flatting and play smallish pot post flop (unless you're sitting in a monster).

Last edited:
thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone. NLHE 6 Max ZOOM cash game on PokerStars.
Is AQ a big leak in game by losing to AK and KK often?
How should I play AQ?
Should I play AQ the exact same way as AK by raising/re-raising from any position or should I fold AQ to any raise/re-raise preflop?
Should I fold AQ in certain positions?

the bol says it all to me. AQ is ok starter but you need position and you need to mix up your plays with any hands. You also need to know your table.

there is no straight answer here at all except you shouldnt play aq the same way in all positions

and no you shouldnt necessarily fold automatically to raises take notes know your peer group

find the sheep avoid the sharks

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hate to play AQ, however if the table is filled with tight players i would open with AQ but if im faced with a 3-bet or 4-bet easy fold. AQ is a hand that could trap you, dont want to be in a situation where you are pot committed and behind in the hand, so play it cautiously

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play a lot of big pots with AQ. You are dominated an awful lot. If you can control the pot and play it in position it can be profitable. Zoom can make it even tougher to play. Its always a raise if opening but an easy fold to a big bet.

N

Narcizzist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how many blinds you have, what position you are in and even whether they are suited or not.

I'm not a fan of playing that hand aggressively anyway. Too many hands can beat you.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
open raise with the AQ hand is against one or two opponents. Getting a raise or re-raise I would call. After the flop you need to look at the cards and the aggression of opponents. To put 4bet or go all-in is not very good :(

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands