Books or instructional videos?

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello! What helped you more in learning poker - books or instructional videos?

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi,

for sure the videos but books can help you to understand all concepts way better. It depends from person. I just enjoy watching the videos more. But I dont watch videos and forget about all concepts. I just make the notes. Its always better to watch 1hour video with making the notes than watching 10 hours ov videos just to watch and forget what you were watching. About the books you need to know that old books are mostly outtdated. So I would be more focus on new books like Modern Poker Theory or Play Optimal Poker.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I started playing, books were the way to go. Its alot different now with Youtube and these pay sites with videos.

If you commute a lot and could afford to go the audio book or video route then that might be the way to go. It also really depends on your skill level. Years ago the 2+2 Advanced books were the only way to study poker variations. Things are different today.

Thinking about it now, lol. I would go with books for poker variations because few sites give folks info on those games or I should say detailed material and would go with books there. But for holdem, there are plenty of video sources out there for that.

O

odonob

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Videos are good, especially with good commentary. Books have their place for in depth strategy.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I read books and watch videos, I also mark tricks that I then implement into my game.

M

Mr_Nuisance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Instructional videos are definitely the best way to learn poker from a fundamental standpoint, and for people who are dependent on visualizing things in order to understand them, it has become the most popular way to learn many poker topics.

Having said that, books can definitely help someone grasp specific topics that a video couldn't necessarily cover. There is also something about reading over a subject rather than listening to it that helps me personally remember it better and allow for me to use that topic in an effective manner. I am currently reading one of Jonathan Little's books and I find it sometimes more effective than his website to learn from.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Both are very helpful in growing your poker game. The problem is how you utilize them. If you read a book this week or watch a hour long video is it going to help? No it wont unless you careful add things to you game. When I watch a training video that's a hour long I may spend a week on it. My last poker book I spend a month and a1/2 on. To truly get hat you can out of each you should go though a section at a time and write notes on that one small part. They go into your records of your game and see if that would or would not be good to add to your game. If it does you should start adding it to your game and record what happens. Is it a positive or a negative to your game? If negative ask yourself why? Is it variance or just a bad concept? Did you give it enough of a chance to see?

Once done with that section go to the next one and repeat. Now yes you can do more than one at a time but man people will just go though something and they play. Why do they fail so often? Well making multable changes they dont see what is working or not. your changes may not be correct or you just forgot something that may have been vital. Remember its not a race in training but a long marathon.

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Both very helpful. Books are usually more about fundamental elements of the game and you need some experience to integrate them well into your game.

However, my experience is that you have to integrate new strategic elements into the game very carefully and one by one. Whenever I changed too many things in my game, it hurt me in the short term because I had little experience in these new situations.

Stringy

Stringy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
videos mainly becuase i prefer that as my source for information, plus the visual aspect

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The truth is that I never watched a video or touched a book about poker. I have no time. To play what I play I don't need it, I think.

blef121

blef121

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello, it wasn’t the instructional video or books that helped me more, but just videos with stars and serious poker players how they play in different situations, I learned from this more watching videos with Tom Dwan and so on

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it all depends on how a person perceives information better. I'm better at verbal information, but for other players, video is the best way out.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The one book I read early on was Dole Brunson's "Super System". In my opinion it is like the early Bible of poker books. It may be a bit outdated with some of the new ideas on poker theory but a lot of it is still valuable today. Check it out, it is a must read.

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both are very helpful in growing your poker game. The problem is how you utilize them. If you read a book this week or watch a hour long video is it going to help? No it wont unless you careful add things to you game. When I watch a training video that's a hour long I may spend a week on it. My last poker book I spend a month and a1/2 on. To truly get hat you can out of each you should go though a section at a time and write notes on that one small part. They go into your records of your game and see if that would or would not be good to add to your game. If it does you should start adding it to your game and record what happens. Is it a positive or a negative to your game? If negative ask yourself why? Is it variance or just a bad concept? Did you give it enough of a chance to see?

Once done with that section go to the next one and repeat. Now yes you can do more than one at a time but man people will just go though something and they play. Why do they fail so often? Well making multable changes they dont see what is working or not. your changes may not be correct or you just forgot something that may have been vital. Remember its not a race in training but a long marathon.

Very good points there, and sometimes we read, watch something, understand it, but find it difficult to implement it, because let's not forgive, we don't see villain's cards, we are sometimes afraid to put in the money, not for losing the money, but making mistakes. When I learn something, it takes up to 3 sessions of playing to implement it, and maybe a week to be at ease with it. And by the time I'll have to rewatch, reread the content, make mistakes, lose money, and very importantly review hands. And another thing, it's better to play what we think is good, because if something feels wrong, it could be in fact wrong, or out of time, or we just don't understand the depth, and there again, it's better to do not play something we dont understand, Idk, what do you think about that?

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me they are both, the books are very important when it comes to learning the basic rules of poker, there is also very valuable information, as for instructional videos are also very important because that way you will put into practice what you learn, there are several ways to learn poker, one always chooses the best, the one that best suits your knowledge.

P

Panda19977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I enjoy watching poker videos more then reading books

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Hello! What helped you more in learning poker - books or instructional videos?

Neither of them. But then again i probably haven't spent a single day on learning even after all these years :cool:

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Very good points there, and sometimes we read, watch something, understand it, but find it difficult to implement it, because let's not forgive, we don't see villain's cards, we are sometimes afraid to put in the money, not for losing the money, but making mistakes. When I learn something, it takes up to 3 sessions of playing to implement it, and maybe a week to be at ease with it. And by the time I'll have to rewatch, reread the content, make mistakes, lose money, and very importantly review hands. And another thing, it's better to play what we think is good, because if something feels wrong, it could be in fact wrong, or out of time, or we just don't understand the depth, and there again, it's better to do not play something we dont understand, Idk, what do you think about that?

Adding new things to you game is never easy to implement for the most part. We may not find the right opportunity or just don't think it would work at that moment to just fear. I understand your worrying about making mistake but some of the best learning lessons can be found in making a mistake. This can help us in figuring out if we are playing something correctly or just seeing if our read is correct. Now you may be willing to pay to get better educated for a better job and life or maybe sign up for lessons. You may need to think of playing poker as your education in the game. Dont think of them as mistake or fear you will look bad but as a lesson. Also look for opportunities to get the information you may want. Some players will make moves to get you to fold but re actually good and cheep ways to learn. I once player against a really wild player, He was just playing so many hands and betting so much you knew he was over bluffing. I missed my open straight and flush draw and just had ten high. He bet 1BB on the river into a 50+BB pot. 1BB was all it cost me to see if my read was right? Why the sudden almost nothing bet why he bet hard and stopped? I called and shocked won the hand. Yes I looked foolish, Yes is wan not a great move but it gave me cheap information. How much did it give me? He was playing the board.

As for you question on if it does not feel good what to do. It really depends on the situation and who you up against. There are players where is I feel this way I just fold but others I make the call. The thing if if you really pay attention to the play at the table even when your not in the hand you will gather information that can help you make a better decision. By doing this you will get a better read on the players and make those tough decisions easier to make. Someday s it will work in your favor and other not but it will make you a better player.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In general, I prefer books. But as for poker, I haven't read a single book yet.
My friend taught me to play, and I also watched a lot of video tutorials.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Professional organizations provide video poker training to everyone's attention. On the Academy website, you can find videos here that allow beginners to understand the rules of poker and reveal the secrets of success. Video poker training is one of the most effective and convenient ways to learn all the intricacies of a card competition. Video poker tutorials offer a variety of strategies that make it easy to take down the pot. A beginner does not have to invent a bicycle. All effective methods have already been developed. It is enough for a novice player to devote a little time and find suitable entries.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Books are certainly a very useful and extensive source of information, but when it comes to learning poker, I think short video tutorials will be more convenient for faster perception.
Good luck.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer books to learn about poker. My favorite book is Doyle Brunson's Super System, I read it probably 15 years ago and it was very helpful at that time.

Ketienne

Ketienne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since I'm not so much into dry theory, it's definitely the videos for me and not only instructional based on poker theory but also the possibility to look over the shoulder of professional poker players during their streams I find awesome.

There is now really a lot with great potential on Twitch. For example, I really enjoy watching streams from Lex Veldhuis.

I think it offers a great added value that nowadays you have the opportunity to watch the best of the best live. You see openly and transparently how they play which hands and deal with certain situations.
If you then also read books and are able to integrate the things into your own game, then you will be able to make a good progress.